Thread: Leaving NY destination FL questions

Leaving NY destination FL questions

Hello, I joined this forum today. I live in NY and have an unrestricted concealed carry permit and a Utah non-res. and a Florida non-resident permit.
    I will be moving to Florida in a couple of months. I'm happy to be leaving NY with all the crazy gun laws.
    Does my Florida non-resident permit allow me all the rights as a resident permit?
    I do realize that I will need to exchange my non-resident permit for a resident permit once I get a Florida driver license.
    I will be living with relatives in Florida until the bank forecloses on my NY home.
    I am wondering if i need to rush to get a resident permit and driver license.
    Is there a gap in time between getting my resident permit and giving up my non-resident permit?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTea View Post
    Hello, I joined this forum today. I live in NY and have an unrestricted concealed carry permit and a Utah non-res. and a Florida non-resident permit.
    I will be moving to Florida in a couple of months. I'm happy to be leaving NY with all the crazy gun laws.
    Does my Florida non-resident permit allow me all the rights as a resident permit?
    I do realize that I will need to exchange my non-resident permit for a resident permit once I get a Florida driver license.
    I will be living with relatives in Florida until the bank forecloses on my NY home.
    Is there a gap in time between getting my resident permit and giving up my non-resident permit?
    In Florida, yes.
    However, a few states will not honor a license from a state you are not a resident of. For example, PA does not recognize your Florida CWFL because you are not currently a Florida resident. Also: CO, MI, NH, SC, and there is some uncertainty about AL.

All you have to do is change your address on file at DOACS, within 30 days of a permanent address change. You can do it online -->https://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/li...hgaddr790.html

There is no difference between a resident CWFL and a non-resident CWFL except for the address on file with DOACS.
    Last edited by notalawyer; 06-02-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

Banned
    I would venture to opinion that once you leave the state that your out of state permit was issued under then the residency is lost for that state and your Fl out-of-state permit becomes null and void at that point in time.

So if you leave NY ... I would look further into this query. When does your residency change is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I would venture to opinion that once you leave the state that your out of state permit was issued under then the residency is lost for that state and your Fl out-of-state permit becomes null and void at that point in time.

So if you leave NY ... I would look further into this query. When does your residency change is the question.
    You would be wrong. But that should not come as a surprise as it happens so often with you.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Say what?

He has 90 days to update his address from the time he establishes residency here. Until such time, he is a resident of NY, and his Florida CWFL is completely valid.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

Early welcom to Florida, the Gunshine state.

F,
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    Say what?

He has 90 days to update his address from the time he establishes residency here. Until such time, he is a resident of NY, and his Florida CWFL is completely valid.
    Thaks for the posts. Actually, I will be living in FL with relatives until my house is taken back by the bank in NY. So I guess my State of residence is NY until that happens. Correct?
    One more question about moving. I can get all my medicines by mail order for a 3 month supply except Ambien to help me sleep. Can a pharmacy fill this prescription from a NY doctor or do I need to see a doctor in FL prescribe?
    Last edited by JayTea; 06-09-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTea View Post
    F,

Thaks for the posts. Actually, I will be living in FL with relatives until my house is taken back by the bank in NY. So I guess my State of residence is NY until that happens. Correct?
    One more question about moving. I can get all my medicines by mail order for a 3 month supply except Ambien to help me sleep. Can a pharmacy fill this prescription from a NY doctor or do I need to see a doctor in FL prescribe?
    Here is the description of residency changes for out-of-state license holders, but as you already have a Florida CWFL, it really does not apply. All you need to do is change the address at the DOACS website I linked above. Then when you get your own place, change the address again.
    (4) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:
    (a) Registering to vote;
    (b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
    (c) Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state,
    the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence.