• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Decent ranges around Arlington

F

Fenix

I've been looking for a decent range that doesn't require membership. I was thinking about going to Blue Ridge Arsenal and have been there once or twice but recently I've been reading some not so savory stuff about the range; I've never had a problem there before but last time I was there was well over a year ago so...

Anyways, aside from the NRA range, what are decent ranges around 50 miles of Arlington, VA?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I believe there's one in Culpeper I think that is free. Probably no range masters on the premises. Or you can join the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter of the Izaac Walton League of America (IWLA) which is in Centreville. 140 acres in the southwest corner of Fairfax County with rifle/handgun 100 yard range, skeet and trap, archery, camp grounds, and a stocked fishing pond. Don't know why you wouldn't want to join something, but the NRA range is one of the best and most modern in the country. Then there is Sharp Shooters in Woodbridge. I don't think you have to be a member of that range and it would be fairly convenient to Arlington.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Sharpshooters is actually in Lorton - exit 166A. A lot of people don't like it, but I've been a member there for several years because it's close to home. I will not purchase guns there, as they make me unload even if the sidearm stays holstered.

The Range in Stafford.

DryBones

Clark Brothers, west of Warrenton in Opal. Outdoor range. Range is free but you need to buy all ammo and targets from them unless they don't have your caliber then you can use your own. place is super busy on weekends.

cptstoney

big fan of blue ridge, been a member there for over a year. shoot there atleast 2-3 times a month. I have bought my AR lower and FNH FNX40 from them also. have had zero issues with anyone at BRA. I have run across a few tactical tommy's and Debbie I don't know what i'm doing but every range has those.

I may be alittle biased to BRA cause I worked with a lot of the guys at galyans before they went to BRA.

I live right across the street from the NRA range and really like it, but the wait can be hours if it gets busy.

the Isaac Walton and ffx county gun club have a STUPID high membership fee($1k for ffx gun club....) and wait. basically have to wait for someone to die to get in there....

membership at BRA does have it's perks, walking right past everyone waiting is pretty fun :)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
big fan of blue ridge, been a member there for over a year. shoot there atleast 2-3 times a month. I have bought my AR lower and FNH FNX40 from them also. have had zero issues with anyone at BRA. I have run across a few tactical tommy's and Debbie I don't know what i'm doing but every range has those.

I may be alittle biased to BRA cause I worked with a lot of the guys at galyans before they went to BRA.

I live right across the street from the NRA range and really like it, but the wait can be hours if it gets busy.

the Isaac Walton and ffx county gun club have a STUPID high membership fee($1k for ffx gun club....) and wait. basically have to wait for someone to die to get in there....

membership at BRA does have it's perks, walking right past everyone waiting is pretty fun :)

The member entrance fee at IWLA is rather low as is the yearly renewal fee. If you're talking about the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, their fee is higher as I recall.