Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Pistol registration?

  1. #1
    Regular Member pawn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sturgis, mi
    Posts
    61

    Pistol registration?

    I bought a GLOCK 23 from a friend. I dont have a cpl yet. I turn 21 june 25th. I took my cpl class and all that junk. Just waiting till i get my cpl. Sorry off subject lol. I turned in my purchuse permit with all the info needed on it to my local ps. I asked if they'd register it aswell she said she thinks so and i should get something in the mail. Well its been 2 months and i havent got anything in the mail saying it was registerd...so idk lol. How do u kno or find out if its been registerd? Btw this is my first pistol.

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    I bought a GLOCK 23 from a friend. I dont have a cpl yet. I turn 21 june 25th. I took my cpl class and all that junk. Just waiting till i get my cpl. Sorry off subject lol. I turned in my purchuse permit with all the info needed on it to my local ps. I asked if they'd register it aswell she said she thinks so and i should get something in the mail. Well its been 2 months and i havent got anything in the mail saying it was registerd...so idk lol. How do u kno or find out if its been registerd? Btw this is my first pistol.

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billenrolled/House/pdf/2011-HNB-5225.pdf


    Page 4 go to (3) and find this:


    "The purchaser has the right to obtain a copy of the information placed in the pistol entry database under this subsection to verify the
    accuracy of that information. The police department or county sheriff may charge a fee not to exceed $1.00 for the cost
    of providing the copy."
    Last edited by Venator; 06-03-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  3. #3
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Pistol registration?

    Also treat that purchase permit as if it was your get out of jail free card & keep it safe. You need to carry it with you for the first 30 days after you purchase the pistol if you are OCing or transporting it. Make copies and carry one of those after that until you are sure the pistol is CORRECTLY registered to you. Should you have a police contact before your CPL arrives the purchase permit will be your only proof of legal ownership. MI has many good things going for it, but pistol registration is not one of them.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-03-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    I bought a GLOCK 23 from a friend. I dont have a cpl yet. I turn 21 june 25th. I took my cpl class and all that junk. Just waiting till i get my cpl. Sorry off subject lol. I turned in my purchuse permit with all the info needed on it to my local ps. I asked if they'd register it aswell she said she thinks so and i should get something in the mail. Well its been 2 months and i havent got anything in the mail saying it was registerd...so idk lol. How do u kno or find out if its been registerd? Btw this is my first pistol.
    I hope you haven't already applied for your CPL yet....

    Also you shouldn't get anything in the mail regarding whether it gets registered. Once you turn it in they'll take care of it. Like mentioned above if you really want to check you can request the info.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  5. #5
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I hope you haven't already applied for your CPL yet....

    Also you shouldn't get anything in the mail regarding whether it gets registered. Once you turn it in they'll take care of it. Like mentioned above if you really want to check you can request the info.
    OR wait until a complete ******* cop violates federal and state law to felony stop you and run your serial number and tells you your gun is unregistered.
    Last edited by Michigander; 06-06-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Macomb, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    64
    I'm confused. What the heck does the Pistol Purchase Permit have to do with registering a handgun? Granted, I've had my CPL long enough that my memory of the Purchase Permit is a bit hazy but as I remember it the Purchase Permit was simply a permission slip you turned in to the dealer. Once the dealer completes the sale you are then given a Sale Receipt that has the local PD copy, State Police copy, and purchasers copy all bundled together. Once you have your pistol and that critical Sale Receipt you then have 10 days to mail it to your local PD or turn it in at the local police station or sheriffs office.

    Now, a couple of things that are a bit concerning.

    First, this is a private sale and from the sound of it a Sale Receipt may have not been obtained or filled out. If that is the case Pawn99 is technically in violation of the law. Because 2 months is way past that 10 day deadline. IIRC it's a civil infraction that carries a 500 dollar fine so chances are that Glock just got a lot more expensive. BTW, at my local PD a Sale Receipt is available at no cost by simply requesting one from the Records Clerk. Anyone planning on purchasing a handgun through a private sale would be wise to keep a few of these on hand in the event a nice bargain comes up.

    Second concern is that Pawn99 isn't 21 until the 25th of June. I'll admit I'm no lawyer and way past this particular age of majority but I have a vague memory that those under 21 could only purchase a handgun from a member of his immediate family. If I am correct about this that's another violation of the law and Pawn99 can probably kiss his chances of being granted a CPL in the next 5 or 7 years goodbye.

    Hopefully this is simply a misunderstanding about what specifically he turned into the PD and he did indeed turn in a Sale Receipt. I also hope that I'm wrong about that immediate family thing and private sales are permitted to those under 21. However, let this be a reminder that when you are dealing with purchasing and registering firearms in today's rather anti gun climate you cannot risk cutting any corners or skating around the Law.

  7. #7
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter123 View Post
    I'm confused. What the heck does the Pistol Purchase Permit have to do with registering a handgun? Granted, I've had my CPL long enough that my memory of the Purchase Permit is a bit hazy but as I remember it the Purchase Permit was simply a permission slip you turned in to the dealer. Once the dealer completes the sale you are then given a Sale Receipt that has the local PD copy, State Police copy, and purchasers copy all bundled together. Once you have your pistol and that critical Sale Receipt you then have 10 days to mail it to your local PD or turn it in at the local police station or sheriffs office.
    If you're buying a handgun from a private seller in Michigan, and you do not have a CPL, you must obtain a "permit to purchase" from a police department in the state of Michigan. While it's called a "permit to purchase", or as described under law a "license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol", it's really how you register your pistol. Serial number and everything is put on the form and you turn it into the police. Basically it's an RI-60 form for people who do not have CPLs.

    Now, a couple of things that are a bit concerning.
    Yes?

    First, this is a private sale and from the sound of it a Sale Receipt may have not been obtained or filled out. If that is the case Pawn99 is technically in violation of the law. Because 2 months is way past that 10 day deadline. IIRC it's a civil infraction that carries a 500 dollar fine so chances are that Glock just got a lot more expensive. BTW, at my local PD a Sale Receipt is available at no cost by simply requesting one from the Records Clerk. Anyone planning on purchasing a handgun through a private sale would be wise to keep a few of these on hand in the event a nice bargain comes up.
    From the way I read it he went through the required legal process and was simply wondering if he was supposed to receive some sort of notification on whether or not they had registered his pistol. I have registered 3 pistols without a CPL and have received no confirmation nor have I seen anywhere in the law that they're supposed to.

    Second concern is that Pawn99 isn't 21 until the 25th of June. I'll admit I'm no lawyer and way past this particular age of majority but I have a vague memory that those under 21 could only purchase a handgun from a member of his immediate family. If I am correct about this that's another violation of the law and Pawn99 can probably kiss his chances of being granted a CPL in the next 5 or 7 years goodbye.
    Any person, 18 years of age or older, may purchase a pistol from a private seller in the state of Michigan. Doesn't matter if they're a dad, uncle, cousin, friend, guy you meet behind a bar, or someone you find on MGO selling a gun. So no he is not in violation. I've purchased 3 pistols in Michigan with no issue.

    Hopefully this is simply a misunderstanding about what specifically he turned into the PD and he did indeed turn in a Sale Receipt. I also hope that I'm wrong about that immediate family thing and private sales are permitted to those under 21. However, let this be a reminder that when you are dealing with purchasing and registering firearms in today's rather anti gun climate you cannot risk cutting any corners or skating around the Law.
    Thankfully you are wrong and it does not appear, based on his post, he has violated any laws.

    ETA: Forgot to provide citation!!! I haven't been posting here enough lately!
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pgn...ame=mcl-28-422
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 06-07-2013 at 02:47 AM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  8. #8
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Well stated, xmanhockey7.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  9. #9
    Regular Member pawn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sturgis, mi
    Posts
    61
    Thanks everyone for the help. And yes i have purchased the firearm legally. I did get my permit to purchase from my local pd and i turned it in a day after i got it. Paper work wise everything is taken care of. Since i've been open carrying i been carrying that yellow paper around in my back pocket to show i legally own it and that i can have it. But i'd much rather not carry it due to it falling out of my pocket or some sort. I lock it up with my pistol aswell . I'll go to my local pd and ask have them see. I don't wanna be caught on some bs if i got stopped. And no i haven't applied for my cpl yet. I will do that on my birthday june 25th.
    Last edited by pawn99; 06-10-2013 at 06:11 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    Pistol registration?

    Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help. And yes i have purchased the firearm legally. I did get my permit to purchase from my local pd and i turned it in a day after i got it. Paper work wise everything is taken care of. Since i've been open carrying i been carrying that yellow paper around in my back pocket to show i legally own it and that i can have it. But i'd much rather not carry it due to it falling out of my pocket or some sort. I lock it up with my pistol aswell . I'll go to my local pd and ask have them see. I don't wanna be caught on some bs if i got stopped. And no i haven't applied for my cpl yet. I will do that on my birthday june 25th.
    If it's been 30 days since you turned the card in, by law you no linger need the yellow slip.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    If it's been 30 days since you turned the card in, by law you no linger need the yellow slip.
    You don't need to have it on your person after 30 days, but, I would recommend keeping it somewhere safe anyway.

  12. #12
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Pistol registration?

    Having a correct size, color copy of the original my make a nit picky cop let him be. Remember should the person at his local pd been having a brain skip day & lost the forwarding MSP copy & the PD copy - literally, his yellow original is his only PROOF that his PD did indeed approve his PP. Many who still use PP ask their PD's to date/time stamp the local PD copy & give them a photo copy of that. They also send their MSP portion directly to MSP records unit via certifed mail. Lots of extra work, but should someone in the system screw up its not their @$$ that takes the hit. It's up to the purchaser to provide proof not them.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-10-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  13. #13
    Regular Member pawn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sturgis, mi
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    You don't need to have it on your person after 30 days, but, I would recommend keeping it somewhere safe anyway.
    Alright. I just carry it just in case. I'd rather be safe than sorry I'm gonna go to my local PD and get the record of my pistol to see if everything is correct.

  14. #14
    Regular Member pawn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sturgis, mi
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Having a correct size, color copy of the original my make a nit picky cop let him be. Remember should the person at his local pd been having a brain skip day & lost the forwarding MSP copy & the PD copy - literally, his yellow original is his only PROOF that his PD did indeed approve his PP. Many who still use PP ask their PD's to date/time stamp the local PD copy & give them a photo copy of that. They also send their MSP portion directly to MSP records unit via certifed mail. Lots of extra work, but should someone in the system screw up its not their @$$ that takes the hit. It's up to the purchaser to provide proof not them.
    Very True haha. I'd rather take extra steps to save my own @$$ cause in the end i'd be the one who'd hurt not them. I can't wait untill i get my cpl. Lol. It's prob done alot easyer. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas to come

  15. #15
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    Pistol registration?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Having a correct size, color copy of the original my make a nit picky cop let him be. Remember should the person at his local pd been having a brain skip day & lost the forwarding MSP copy & the PD copy - literally, his yellow original is his only PROOF that his PD did indeed approve his PP. Many who still use PP ask their PD's to date/time stamp the local PD copy & give them a photo copy of that. They also send their MSP portion directly to MSP records unit via certifed mail. Lots of extra work, but should someone in the system screw up its not their @$$ that takes the hit. It's up to the purchaser to provide proof not them.
    I personally turn in my registrations. Get a clear video of the paper, its content, and who I gave it to. I'm covered.

    Having your yellow copy, however, is no guarantee you turned it in. Is it?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek, ,
    Posts
    559

    Cool

    Without reading all the responses above....
    short version...
    You may legally buy a hand gun before the age of (18 to) 21 from an individual who does not posses a FFL...
    take your paperwork (you did do that didn't you) to the local PD and submit, no you do not need to take the gun...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •