• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol registration?

pawn99

I bought a GLOCK 23 from a friend. I dont have a cpl yet. I turn 21 june 25th. I took my cpl class and all that junk. Just waiting till i get my cpl. Sorry off subject lol. I turned in my purchuse permit with all the info needed on it to my local ps. I asked if they'd register it aswell she said she thinks so and i should get something in the mail. Well its been 2 months and i havent got anything in the mail saying it was registerd...so idk lol. How do u kno or find out if its been registerd? Btw this is my first pistol.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I bought a GLOCK 23 from a friend. I dont have a cpl yet. I turn 21 june 25th. I took my cpl class and all that junk. Just waiting till i get my cpl. Sorry off subject lol. I turned in my purchuse permit with all the info needed on it to my local ps. I asked if they'd register it aswell she said she thinks so and i should get something in the mail. Well its been 2 months and i havent got anything in the mail saying it was registerd...so idk lol. How do u kno or find out if its been registerd? Btw this is my first pistol.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billenrolled/House/pdf/2011-HNB-5225.pdf

Page 4 go to (3) and find this:

"The purchaser has the right to obtain a copy of the information placed in the pistol entry database under this subsection to verify the
accuracy of that information. The police department or county sheriff may charge a fee not to exceed $1.00 for the cost
of providing the copy."

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Also treat that purchase permit as if it was your get out of jail free card & keep it safe. You need to carry it with you for the first 30 days after you purchase the pistol if you are OCing or transporting it. Make copies and carry one of those after that until you are sure the pistol is CORRECTLY registered to you. Should you have a police contact before your CPL arrives the purchase permit will be your only proof of legal ownership. MI has many good things going for it, but pistol registration is not one of them. :(

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I hope you haven't already applied for your CPL yet....

Also you shouldn't get anything in the mail regarding whether it gets registered. Once you turn it in they'll take care of it. Like mentioned above if you really want to check you can request the info.

Michigander

I hope you haven't already applied for your CPL yet....

Also you shouldn't get anything in the mail regarding whether it gets registered. Once you turn it in they'll take care of it. Like mentioned above if you really want to check you can request the info.

OR wait until a complete ******* cop violates federal and state law to felony stop you and run your serial number and tells you your gun is unregistered.

Last edited:

Scooter123

I'm confused. What the heck does the Pistol Purchase Permit have to do with registering a handgun? Granted, I've had my CPL long enough that my memory of the Purchase Permit is a bit hazy but as I remember it the Purchase Permit was simply a permission slip you turned in to the dealer. Once the dealer completes the sale you are then given a Sale Receipt that has the local PD copy, State Police copy, and purchasers copy all bundled together. Once you have your pistol and that critical Sale Receipt you then have 10 days to mail it to your local PD or turn it in at the local police station or sheriffs office.

Now, a couple of things that are a bit concerning.

First, this is a private sale and from the sound of it a Sale Receipt may have not been obtained or filled out. If that is the case Pawn99 is technically in violation of the law. Because 2 months is way past that 10 day deadline. IIRC it's a civil infraction that carries a 500 dollar fine so chances are that Glock just got a lot more expensive. BTW, at my local PD a Sale Receipt is available at no cost by simply requesting one from the Records Clerk. Anyone planning on purchasing a handgun through a private sale would be wise to keep a few of these on hand in the event a nice bargain comes up.

Second concern is that Pawn99 isn't 21 until the 25th of June. I'll admit I'm no lawyer and way past this particular age of majority but I have a vague memory that those under 21 could only purchase a handgun from a member of his immediate family. If I am correct about this that's another violation of the law and Pawn99 can probably kiss his chances of being granted a CPL in the next 5 or 7 years goodbye.

Hopefully this is simply a misunderstanding about what specifically he turned into the PD and he did indeed turn in a Sale Receipt. I also hope that I'm wrong about that immediate family thing and private sales are permitted to those under 21. However, let this be a reminder that when you are dealing with purchasing and registering firearms in today's rather anti gun climate you cannot risk cutting any corners or skating around the Law.

xmanhockey7

I'm confused. What the heck does the Pistol Purchase Permit have to do with registering a handgun? Granted, I've had my CPL long enough that my memory of the Purchase Permit is a bit hazy but as I remember it the Purchase Permit was simply a permission slip you turned in to the dealer. Once the dealer completes the sale you are then given a Sale Receipt that has the local PD copy, State Police copy, and purchasers copy all bundled together. Once you have your pistol and that critical Sale Receipt you then have 10 days to mail it to your local PD or turn it in at the local police station or sheriffs office.
If you're buying a handgun from a private seller in Michigan, and you do not have a CPL, you must obtain a "permit to purchase" from a police department in the state of Michigan. While it's called a "permit to purchase", or as described under law a "license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol", it's really how you register your pistol. Serial number and everything is put on the form and you turn it into the police. Basically it's an RI-60 form for people who do not have CPLs.

Now, a couple of things that are a bit concerning.
Yes?

First, this is a private sale and from the sound of it a Sale Receipt may have not been obtained or filled out. If that is the case Pawn99 is technically in violation of the law. Because 2 months is way past that 10 day deadline. IIRC it's a civil infraction that carries a 500 dollar fine so chances are that Glock just got a lot more expensive. BTW, at my local PD a Sale Receipt is available at no cost by simply requesting one from the Records Clerk. Anyone planning on purchasing a handgun through a private sale would be wise to keep a few of these on hand in the event a nice bargain comes up.
From the way I read it he went through the required legal process and was simply wondering if he was supposed to receive some sort of notification on whether or not they had registered his pistol. I have registered 3 pistols without a CPL and have received no confirmation nor have I seen anywhere in the law that they're supposed to.

Second concern is that Pawn99 isn't 21 until the 25th of June. I'll admit I'm no lawyer and way past this particular age of majority but I have a vague memory that those under 21 could only purchase a handgun from a member of his immediate family. If I am correct about this that's another violation of the law and Pawn99 can probably kiss his chances of being granted a CPL in the next 5 or 7 years goodbye.
Any person, 18 years of age or older, may purchase a pistol from a private seller in the state of Michigan. Doesn't matter if they're a dad, uncle, cousin, friend, guy you meet behind a bar, or someone you find on MGO selling a gun. So no he is not in violation. I've purchased 3 pistols in Michigan with no issue.

Hopefully this is simply a misunderstanding about what specifically he turned into the PD and he did indeed turn in a Sale Receipt. I also hope that I'm wrong about that immediate family thing and private sales are permitted to those under 21. However, let this be a reminder that when you are dealing with purchasing and registering firearms in today's rather anti gun climate you cannot risk cutting any corners or skating around the Law.
Thankfully you are wrong and it does not appear, based on his post, he has violated any laws.

ETA: Forgot to provide citation!!! I haven't been posting here enough lately!
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pg...leg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

Last edited:

pawn99

Thanks everyone for the help. And yes i have purchased the firearm legally. I did get my permit to purchase from my local pd and i turned it in a day after i got it. Paper work wise everything is taken care of. Since i've been open carrying i been carrying that yellow paper around in my back pocket to show i legally own it and that i can have it. But i'd much rather not carry it due to it falling out of my pocket or some sort. I lock it up with my pistol aswell . I'll go to my local pd and ask have them see. I don't wanna be caught on some bs if i got stopped. And no i haven't applied for my cpl yet. I will do that on my birthday june 25th.

Last edited:

TheQ

Thanks everyone for the help. And yes i have purchased the firearm legally. I did get my permit to purchase from my local pd and i turned it in a day after i got it. Paper work wise everything is taken care of. Since i've been open carrying i been carrying that yellow paper around in my back pocket to show i legally own it and that i can have it. But i'd much rather not carry it due to it falling out of my pocket or some sort. I lock it up with my pistol aswell . I'll go to my local pd and ask have them see. I don't wanna be caught on some bs if i got stopped. And no i haven't applied for my cpl yet. I will do that on my birthday june 25th.

If it's been 30 days since you turned the card in, by law you no linger need the yellow slip.

FreeInAZ

Having a correct size, color copy of the original my make a nit picky cop let him be. Remember should the person at his local pd been having a brain skip day & lost the forwarding MSP copy & the PD copy - literally, his yellow original is his only PROOF that his PD did indeed approve his PP. Many who still use PP ask their PD's to date/time stamp the local PD copy & give them a photo copy of that. They also send their MSP portion directly to MSP records unit via certifed mail. Lots of extra work, but should someone in the system screw up its not their @$$ that takes the hit. It's up to the purchaser to provide proof not them.

Last edited:

pawn99

You don't need to have it on your person after 30 days, but, I would recommend keeping it somewhere safe anyway.

Alright. I just carry it just in case. I'd rather be safe than sorry :) I'm gonna go to my local PD and get the record of my pistol to see if everything is correct.

pawn99

Having a correct size, color copy of the original my make a nit picky cop let him be. Remember should the person at his local pd been having a brain skip day & lost the forwarding MSP copy & the PD copy - literally, his yellow original is his only PROOF that his PD did indeed approve his PP. Many who still use PP ask their PD's to date/time stamp the local PD copy & give them a photo copy of that. They also send their MSP portion directly to MSP records unit via certifed mail. Lots of extra work, but should someone in the system screw up its not their @$$ that takes the hit. It's up to the purchaser to provide proof not them.

Very True haha. I'd rather take extra steps to save my own @$$ cause in the end i'd be the one who'd hurt not them. I can't wait untill i get my cpl. Lol. It's prob done alot easyer. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas to come

TheQ

I personally turn in my registrations. Get a clear video of the paper, its content, and who I gave it to. I'm covered.

Having your yellow copy, however, is no guarantee you turned it in. Is it?

Sheldon

Without reading all the responses above....
short version...
You may legally buy a hand gun before the age of (18 to) 21 from an individual who does not posses a FFL...
take your paperwork (you did do that didn't you) to the local PD and submit, no you do not need to take the gun...