Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90

Thread: Is a .44 Super Blackhawk acceptable for open carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member RandallFlagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    125

    Is a .44 Super Blackhawk acceptable for open carry?

    I went to the Tanner Gun Show and picked up a VERY nice used, "Old West," holster for my Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk.
    I'd like to know opinions about open carrying this cannon from you good folks.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    398

    Re: Is a .44 Super Blackhawk acceptable for open carry?

    It isn't the best choice to carry for self defense, but aside from that, do whatever floats your boat.

    I suppose one upside is the intimidation factor, but the difficulty of accurate follow-up shots, or trying to shoot it with only my left hand should I need to, would lead me to choose something else.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    Regular Member RandallFlagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by arentol View Post
    It isn't the best choice to carry for self defense, but aside from that, do whatever floats your boat.

    I suppose one upside is the intimidation factor, but the difficulty of accurate follow-up shots, or trying to shoot it with only my left hand should I need to, would lead me to choose something else.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    It was my Brother's weapon. Very nice to shoot. Accurate as heck.
    Of course, I'd be carrying my Springfield XDm .45 as well.
    I wonder what the police would think if there was an encounter.
    Probably something like, "Man! I'll bet YOUR back's gonna HURT!"
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

  4. #4
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
    I went to the Tanner Gun Show and picked up a VERY nice used, "Old West," holster for my Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk.
    I'd like to know opinions about open carrying this cannon from you good folks.
    What opinions are you looking for? Like does it look cool? Does it go bang? Is it Tacticool? Not real sure what you mean by opinions because the answers you get will be all over the ballpark.

    But here's my thoughts.

    For personal defense? It sucks. Sure it's a powerful round and will do a lot of damage, but it's single action only and takes 30 mins to reload. LOL. Kidding on that last one. Took a pistol training course where a guy brought a super black hawk. The thing sucked as a defensive firearm because he only had 6 rounds. course of fire was often 10-12 rounds. So he'd step up, take his 6 shots and then have to do that arduous empty and reload. That's a fine motor skill that turns into a hot mess under stress. During the timed runs, he usually dropped one or 2 rounds and had to pick them up. etc... With an ungodly amount of practice, you could get decently fast, but never as fast as a magazine reload or even a speed reloader. And that stress of the moment is a killer on fine motor skills.

    From a BBQ gun style OC? Heck yeah! I mean, any OC firearm is cool and it's really fun to see all kinds of them out in public. If for no other reason that the just pure wow factor it's a cool idea and a lot of fun.

    For a political statement? I guess, why not? You're going to have a lot more "splaining" to do at stores etc and people will probably be more likely to notice. I think a lot of people (even ones who notice) see the modern pistol and modern holster and immediately assume LEO and then don't think another thing. Something like that is OBVIOUSLY not LEO. So maybe more people would talk. Conversation starter kind of thing.

    Just don't have any illusions that your carrying a wonderful personal defense tool when the crap hits the fan and you're struggling to reload that thing under stress. Just sayin.

  5. #5
    Regular Member RandallFlagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    What opinions are you looking for? Like does it look cool? Does it go bang? Is it Tacticool? Not real sure what you mean by opinions because the answers you get will be all over the ballpark.

    But here's my thoughts.

    For personal defense? It sucks. Sure it's a powerful round and will do a lot of damage, but it's single action only and takes 30 mins to reload. LOL. Kidding on that last one. Took a pistol training course where a guy brought a super black hawk. The thing sucked as a defensive firearm because he only had 6 rounds. course of fire was often 10-12 rounds. So he'd step up, take his 6 shots and then have to do that arduous empty and reload. That's a fine motor skill that turns into a hot mess under stress. During the timed runs, he usually dropped one or 2 rounds and had to pick them up. etc... With an ungodly amount of practice, you could get decently fast, but never as fast as a magazine reload or even a speed reloader. And that stress of the moment is a killer on fine motor skills.

    From a BBQ gun style OC? Heck yeah! I mean, any OC firearm is cool and it's really fun to see all kinds of them out in public. If for no other reason that the just pure wow factor it's a cool idea and a lot of fun.

    For a political statement? I guess, why not? You're going to have a lot more "splaining" to do at stores etc and people will probably be more likely to notice. I think a lot of people (even ones who notice) see the modern pistol and modern holster and immediately assume LEO and then don't think another thing. Something like that is OBVIOUSLY not LEO. So maybe more people would talk. Conversation starter kind of thing.

    Just don't have any illusions that your carrying a wonderful personal defense tool when the crap hits the fan and you're struggling to reload that thing under stress. Just sayin.
    I hear ya.
    I was just thinking about using that if we were to organize an open carry trash pick up day or something.
    If it was a SHTF situation, the Blackhawk would be strictly for long range defense if my rifles weren't handy or loaded. I like my semiautos.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Posts
    243
    Tactically I figure a couple others have pointed up the pros & cons. Semi-autos have pretty well replaced revolvers in the self defense carry utility department. Wasn't always so, semi's were less reliable years ago, more prone to jam etc. Better ammunition and improved fitting has mostly rendered that moot, ie my stock Glock doesn't misfeed or jam on appropriately powered commercial loads.

    In a situation where its more for show and formality than the practicality of defending yourself, sure go ahead. It might be a good choice if hiking and the adversary you are likely to face is an aggressive predator (accuracy and power in that case will count a lot more than ability to shoot a lot of rounds).

    I recently acquired a Raging Judge Magnum, ostensibly a gun for all occasions. You can use the .410 in home defense, the .45 Long Colt as a carry round, and the .454 Casull for the mountains (only the stupid would use that for self defense due to the over-penetration danger). Practically speaking though its only the latter that it would likely be employed. But sure is a hoot to shoot.
    Last edited by Saxxon; 06-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    As I am getting older - and my hips and back are beginning to remind me of that fact constantly - my thoughts are turning towards LIGHTER guns such as a couple of Colt Defenders ( one on each hip ).

    A good bear gun suggests that one round in the brisket will in all probability be sufficient.

    "SHOT fired" as opposed to spray & pray ......?

  8. #8
    Regular Member RandallFlagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    As I am getting older - and my hips and back are beginning to remind me of that fact constantly - my thoughts are turning towards LIGHTER guns such as a couple of Colt Defenders ( one on each hip ).

    A good bear gun suggests that one round in the brisket will in all probability be sufficient.

    "SHOT fired" as opposed to spray & pray ......?
    I also carry a Kahr CW45. Very light and small with six+1 capacity.
    And, it's very kind to my back.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

  9. #9
    Regular Member RandallFlagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxxon View Post
    Tactically I figure a couple others have pointed up the pros & cons. Semi-autos have pretty well replaced revolvers in the self defense carry utility department. Wasn't always so, semi's were less reliable years ago, more prone to jam etc. Better ammunition and improved fitting has mostly rendered that moot, ie my stock Glock doesn't misfeed or jam on appropriately powered commercial loads.

    In a situation where its more for show and formality than the practicality of defending yourself, sure go ahead. It might be a good choice if hiking and the adversary you are likely to face is an aggressive predator (accuracy and power in that case will count a lot more than ability to shoot a lot of rounds).

    I recently acquired a Raging Judge Magnum, ostensibly a gun for all occasions. You can use the .410 in home defense, the .45 Long Colt as a carry round, and the .454 Casull for the mountains (only the stupid would use that for self defense due to the over-penetration danger). Practically speaking though its only the latter that it would likely be employed. But sure is a hoot to shoot.
    If it were an, "Open Carry Trash Pick-Up," situation, I would carry the .44 Magnum.
    It's a pretty holster, too. My Wife really likes it.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
    I went to the Tanner Gun Show and picked up a VERY nice used, "Old West," holster for my Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk.
    I'd like to know opinions about open carrying this cannon from you good folks.
    Absolutely, it is a very good choice for OC. Accurate and strong. The disadvantage is slow reloads, but with a 44 if you can place your shots you most likely will not need to reload.

    BTW I carry a 1851 colt Navy cartridge conversion 38 special on my strong side, and Avenging Angel cross draw on my weak side. I can shoot the arse hole on a gnat with both, ignore the spray and pray gurus. It is not how many rounds you can shoot, it is where you put those rounds. And I have never had a FTF or a FTE with either.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Regular Member RandallFlagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Absolutely, it is a very good choice for OC. Accurate and strong. The disadvantage is slow reloads, but with a 44 if you can place your shots you most likely will not need to reload.

    BTW I carry a 1851 colt Navy cartridge conversion 38 special on my strong side, and Avenging Angel cross draw on my weak side. I can shoot the arse hole on a gnat with both, ignore the spray and pray gurus. It is not how many rounds you can shoot, it is where you put those rounds.
    GAD! It does take forever to reload that cannon!
    But, it sure takes care of large predator animal issues.
    Either way...
    That holster looks good. I kinda want to show it off.
    When's the next Open Carry Trash Pick Up Day scheduled in the North Denver Metro area?
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    Absolutely okay.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  13. #13
    Regular Member LeMat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalispell, Montana, USA
    Posts
    162

    Re: Is a .44 Super Blackhawk acceptable for open carry?

    I say carry whatever you want!

    Sent from my TT Capsule Type 40, Mk I TARDIS
    "Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm."
    -OpenCarry.org member MAC702

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Absolutely. I routinely OC my 7-1/2" Ruger Vaquero, including downtown Las Vegas.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  15. #15
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Is a .44 Super Blackhawk acceptable for open carry?

    My personal criteria---- able to place rounds down range as needed accurately with reliable follow up shoots.

    The above works for me. You are free to make your own decision as you will be the one carrying it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Remember that a .44 Magnum also shoots .44 Special (and .44 Russian.)

    The .44 Special is considered to be a very good self-defense cartridge. And you can load 5 Specials, and put a Magnum last when it doesn't really matter how long recovery takes. I often did this when I carried my 11-ounce S&W AirLite .357.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  17. #17
    Regular Member RandallFlagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Remember that a .44 Magnum also shoots .44 Special (and .44 Russian.)

    The .44 Special is considered to be a very good self-defense cartridge. And you can load 5 Specials, and put a Magnum last when it doesn't really matter how long recovery takes. I often did this when I carried my 11-ounce S&W AirLite .357.
    I've never fired Specials with it. I kinda like the kick of the Magnum cartridge. My Wife watched me shoot a line up the left side of a paper target. One hole right above the last.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,195
    I owned a couple of them.

    Do not see why one couldn't OC them.

    I just couldn't get along the single action part.

    I prefer double action revolvers for shooting and carry.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  19. #19
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    The funny thing about the mentality in this thread is that a lot of people believe that they can plan to only be attacked by a single person and that they will only need x number of rounds to deal with that single person. Don't get me wrong, to each his own and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just wonder, if you can guarantee when and how many attackers we plan to have...

    Again, I know I'm probably going to spark a massive backlash from the wheel gun faithful, but you don't know how many people you will be facing when the time comes. The mindset of "most likely not need to reload" is insanity to me. I just can't even wrap my mind around that thought. Too many people are 100% convinced that hollywood style one shot kills are the norm and a hand cannon will blow a man back 30 feet with one shot.

    I'm not knocking the mythological "stopping power" of any caliber because there's no such thing no matter what caliber. And I do believe that a .44 is a powerful defensive weapon in a lot of conditions. I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of intentionally limiting my ability to fight back under stress. If I could carry 1,000 round mags for my pistol, you're darn right I would. I know, that's just my opinion and others think different. It just doesn't make any sense to me to do that.

  20. #20
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    The funny thing about the mentality in this thread is that a lot of people believe that they can plan to only be attacked by a single person and that they will only need x number of rounds to deal with that single person. Don't get me wrong, to each his own and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just wonder, if you can guarantee when and how many attackers we plan to have...

    Again, I know I'm probably going to spark a massive backlash from the wheel gun faithful, but you don't know how many people you will be facing when the time comes. The mindset of "most likely not need to reload" is insanity to me. I just can't even wrap my mind around that thought. Too many people are 100% convinced that hollywood style one shot kills are the norm and a hand cannon will blow a man back 30 feet with one shot.

    I'm not knocking the mythological "stopping power" of any caliber because there's no such thing no matter what caliber. And I do believe that a .44 is a powerful defensive weapon in a lot of conditions. I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of intentionally limiting my ability to fight back under stress. If I could carry 1,000 round mags for my pistol, you're darn right I would. I know, that's just my opinion and others think different. It just doesn't make any sense to me to do that.
    Please keep in mind the word "my", anything after that your rant is extremely foolish, as you have no control over how others choose. I see control issues as more of a problem in society than a shortage of ammo. But that is just my opinion.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  21. #21
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Please keep in mind the word "my", anything after that your rant is extremely foolish, as you have no control over how others choose. I see control issues as more of a problem in society than a shortage of ammo. But that is just my opinion.
    I don't think you quite followed my rant. In no way did I imply that anyone was trying to limit me in this thread. I was commenting on the point that people who have no limits would choose to limit themselves arbitrarily without outside intervention. Removing the political, legal, and emotional aspect, it's like deciding to walk in the desert and saying on your own that you would rather just take a 500ml bottle of water with you when no one is preventing you from taking a 2l pack of water. I can't personally wrap my own personal head around the idea of intentionally choosing, without any outside factors, to limit my ability to defend myself by arbitrarily limiting what I carry.

    There are a lot of the "one shot with a .44 will stop the guy so you'll never need to reload" type thoughts being stated in this thread. (honestly and sincerely not pointing any fingers at anyone.) That's a mind set I cannot comprehend. I mean, let's be honest, if you had a way to comfortably carry a firearm that has 25 rounds of .44Mag and can be easily used, wouldn't you? Insert what ever round caliber you want in there. I mean, if I could easily control a .500 S&W with combat accurate follow-up shots in rapid succession and have a capacity of 30 rounds, I'd love that. It's that limit that is really hard for me to understand. You could be carrying 20-30 rounds. But to choose to limit to 6 because you like a gun? (PS, not you personally Wolf, just a generic "you" in the sense of any person.)

    BTW, his has nothing to do with carrying a pocket gun or small frame pistol for concealment. So I'm not talking about XDs, diamondback, Nano, etc, etc where you're similarly limited in rounds. I'm talking any full sized open carry firearm.

    Also, no one should take my rant as a personal attack at all. I am fully aware that this is my opinion and only mine. I honestly don't care what people carry or how. I'm just happy that people are. But I'm also not "enamored" with any magic bullet theory that a bullet is a magic go to sleep pill that makes the BG stop existing with nothing by a single shot.

  22. #22
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    To be blunt it really does not matter how YOU feel about it, and the OP never mentioned about one shot stops, though with a 44 it was bound to come up. The fact is rounds that bounce on the pavement, hit walls, hit innocent bystanders never stop anybody. OTH a well placed 44 round has been know to bring down bears. But please follow the NYPD lead, load up some 50 round Glock magazines and shoot everything in hopes of hitting your bad guy. Yea that makes a lot of sense.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    I think a lot of people (even ones who notice) see the modern pistol and modern holster and immediately assume LEO and then don't think another thing. Something like that is OBVIOUSLY not LEO. So maybe more people would talk. Conversation starter kind of thing.
    lol. You need to OC with me for awhile. It would put to bed this notion of yours real quick.

  24. #24
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    lol. You need to OC with me for awhile. It would put to bed this notion of yours real quick.
    I tend to PFFFT people who want to be thought of as a cop, where I want to be sure nobody thinks of me as one when I OC. I try to be as accepting as possible. Yes I do laugh at cop wannabes, or even cops off duty that want to work off the job making sure the public recognizes them as a cop.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I tend to PFFFT people who want to be thought of as a cop, where I want to be sure nobody thinks of me as one when I OC. I try to be as accepting as possible. Yes I do laugh at cop wannabes, or even cops off duty that want to work off the job making sure the public recognizes them as a cop.
    You said it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •