• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a .44 Super Blackhawk acceptable for open carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandallFlagg

I went to the Tanner Gun Show and picked up a VERY nice used, "Old West," holster for my Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk.
I'd like to know opinions about open carrying this cannon from you good folks.

arentol

It isn't the best choice to carry for self defense, but aside from that, do whatever floats your boat.

I suppose one upside is the intimidation factor, but the difficulty of accurate follow-up shots, or trying to shoot it with only my left hand should I need to, would lead me to choose something else.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

RandallFlagg

It isn't the best choice to carry for self defense, but aside from that, do whatever floats your boat.

I suppose one upside is the intimidation factor, but the difficulty of accurate follow-up shots, or trying to shoot it with only my left hand should I need to, would lead me to choose something else.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

It was my Brother's weapon. Very nice to shoot. Accurate as heck.
Of course, I'd be carrying my Springfield XDm .45 as well.
I wonder what the police would think if there was an encounter.
Probably something like, "Man! I'll bet YOUR back's gonna HURT!"

mobiushky

I went to the Tanner Gun Show and picked up a VERY nice used, "Old West," holster for my Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk.

What opinions are you looking for? Like does it look cool? Does it go bang? Is it Tacticool? Not real sure what you mean by opinions because the answers you get will be all over the ballpark.

But here's my thoughts.

For personal defense? It sucks. Sure it's a powerful round and will do a lot of damage, but it's single action only and takes 30 mins to reload. LOL. Kidding on that last one. Took a pistol training course where a guy brought a super black hawk. The thing sucked as a defensive firearm because he only had 6 rounds. course of fire was often 10-12 rounds. So he'd step up, take his 6 shots and then have to do that arduous empty and reload. That's a fine motor skill that turns into a hot mess under stress. During the timed runs, he usually dropped one or 2 rounds and had to pick them up. etc... With an ungodly amount of practice, you could get decently fast, but never as fast as a magazine reload or even a speed reloader. And that stress of the moment is a killer on fine motor skills.

From a BBQ gun style OC? Heck yeah! I mean, any OC firearm is cool and it's really fun to see all kinds of them out in public. If for no other reason that the just pure wow factor it's a cool idea and a lot of fun.

For a political statement? I guess, why not? You're going to have a lot more "splaining" to do at stores etc and people will probably be more likely to notice. I think a lot of people (even ones who notice) see the modern pistol and modern holster and immediately assume LEO and then don't think another thing. Something like that is OBVIOUSLY not LEO. So maybe more people would talk. Conversation starter kind of thing.

Just don't have any illusions that your carrying a wonderful personal defense tool when the crap hits the fan and you're struggling to reload that thing under stress. Just sayin.

RandallFlagg

What opinions are you looking for? Like does it look cool? Does it go bang? Is it Tacticool? Not real sure what you mean by opinions because the answers you get will be all over the ballpark.

But here's my thoughts.

For personal defense? It sucks. Sure it's a powerful round and will do a lot of damage, but it's single action only and takes 30 mins to reload. LOL. Kidding on that last one. Took a pistol training course where a guy brought a super black hawk. The thing sucked as a defensive firearm because he only had 6 rounds. course of fire was often 10-12 rounds. So he'd step up, take his 6 shots and then have to do that arduous empty and reload. That's a fine motor skill that turns into a hot mess under stress. During the timed runs, he usually dropped one or 2 rounds and had to pick them up. etc... With an ungodly amount of practice, you could get decently fast, but never as fast as a magazine reload or even a speed reloader. And that stress of the moment is a killer on fine motor skills.

From a BBQ gun style OC? Heck yeah! I mean, any OC firearm is cool and it's really fun to see all kinds of them out in public. If for no other reason that the just pure wow factor it's a cool idea and a lot of fun.

For a political statement? I guess, why not? You're going to have a lot more "splaining" to do at stores etc and people will probably be more likely to notice. I think a lot of people (even ones who notice) see the modern pistol and modern holster and immediately assume LEO and then don't think another thing. Something like that is OBVIOUSLY not LEO. So maybe more people would talk. Conversation starter kind of thing.

Just don't have any illusions that your carrying a wonderful personal defense tool when the crap hits the fan and you're struggling to reload that thing under stress. Just sayin.

I hear ya.
I was just thinking about using that if we were to organize an open carry trash pick up day or something.
If it was a SHTF situation, the Blackhawk would be strictly for long range defense if my rifles weren't handy or loaded. I like my semiautos.

Saxxon

Tactically I figure a couple others have pointed up the pros & cons. Semi-autos have pretty well replaced revolvers in the self defense carry utility department. Wasn't always so, semi's were less reliable years ago, more prone to jam etc. Better ammunition and improved fitting has mostly rendered that moot, ie my stock Glock doesn't misfeed or jam on appropriately powered commercial loads.

In a situation where its more for show and formality than the practicality of defending yourself, sure go ahead. It might be a good choice if hiking and the adversary you are likely to face is an aggressive predator (accuracy and power in that case will count a lot more than ability to shoot a lot of rounds).

I recently acquired a Raging Judge Magnum, ostensibly a gun for all occasions. You can use the .410 in home defense, the .45 Long Colt as a carry round, and the .454 Casull for the mountains (only the stupid would use that for self defense due to the over-penetration danger). Practically speaking though its only the latter that it would likely be employed. But sure is a hoot to shoot.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

As I am getting older - and my hips and back are beginning to remind me of that fact constantly - my thoughts are turning towards LIGHTER guns such as a couple of Colt Defenders ( one on each hip ).

A good bear gun suggests that one round in the brisket will in all probability be sufficient.

"SHOT fired" as opposed to spray & pray ......?

RandallFlagg

As I am getting older - and my hips and back are beginning to remind me of that fact constantly - my thoughts are turning towards LIGHTER guns such as a couple of Colt Defenders ( one on each hip ).

A good bear gun suggests that one round in the brisket will in all probability be sufficient.

"SHOT fired" as opposed to spray & pray ......?

I also carry a Kahr CW45. Very light and small with six+1 capacity.
And, it's very kind to my back.

RandallFlagg

Tactically I figure a couple others have pointed up the pros & cons. Semi-autos have pretty well replaced revolvers in the self defense carry utility department. Wasn't always so, semi's were less reliable years ago, more prone to jam etc. Better ammunition and improved fitting has mostly rendered that moot, ie my stock Glock doesn't misfeed or jam on appropriately powered commercial loads.

In a situation where its more for show and formality than the practicality of defending yourself, sure go ahead. It might be a good choice if hiking and the adversary you are likely to face is an aggressive predator (accuracy and power in that case will count a lot more than ability to shoot a lot of rounds).

I recently acquired a Raging Judge Magnum, ostensibly a gun for all occasions. You can use the .410 in home defense, the .45 Long Colt as a carry round, and the .454 Casull for the mountains (only the stupid would use that for self defense due to the over-penetration danger). Practically speaking though its only the latter that it would likely be employed. But sure is a hoot to shoot.

If it were an, "Open Carry Trash Pick-Up," situation, I would carry the .44 Magnum.
It's a pretty holster, too. My Wife really likes it.

WalkingWolf

Absolutely, it is a very good choice for OC. Accurate and strong. The disadvantage is slow reloads, but with a 44 if you can place your shots you most likely will not need to reload.

BTW I carry a 1851 colt Navy cartridge conversion 38 special on my strong side, and Avenging Angel cross draw on my weak side. I can shoot the arse hole on a gnat with both, ignore the spray and pray gurus. It is not how many rounds you can shoot, it is where you put those rounds. And I have never had a FTF or a FTE with either.

Last edited:

RandallFlagg

Absolutely, it is a very good choice for OC. Accurate and strong. The disadvantage is slow reloads, but with a 44 if you can place your shots you most likely will not need to reload.

BTW I carry a 1851 colt Navy cartridge conversion 38 special on my strong side, and Avenging Angel cross draw on my weak side. I can shoot the arse hole on a gnat with both, ignore the spray and pray gurus. It is not how many rounds you can shoot, it is where you put those rounds.

GAD! It does take forever to reload that cannon!
But, it sure takes care of large predator animal issues.
Either way...
That holster looks good. I kinda want to show it off.
When's the next Open Carry Trash Pick Up Day scheduled in the North Denver Metro area?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Absolutely. I routinely OC my 7-1/2" Ruger Vaquero, including downtown Las Vegas.

JoeSparky

Centurion
My personal criteria---- able to place rounds down range as needed accurately with reliable follow up shoots.

The above works for me. You are free to make your own decision as you will be the one carrying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Remember that a .44 Magnum also shoots .44 Special (and .44 Russian.)

The .44 Special is considered to be a very good self-defense cartridge. And you can load 5 Specials, and put a Magnum last when it doesn't really matter how long recovery takes. I often did this when I carried my 11-ounce S&W AirLite .357.

RandallFlagg

Remember that a .44 Magnum also shoots .44 Special (and .44 Russian.)

The .44 Special is considered to be a very good self-defense cartridge. And you can load 5 Specials, and put a Magnum last when it doesn't really matter how long recovery takes. I often did this when I carried my 11-ounce S&W AirLite .357.

I've never fired Specials with it. I kinda like the kick of the Magnum cartridge. My Wife watched me shoot a line up the left side of a paper target. One hole right above the last.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I owned a couple of them.

Do not see why one couldn't OC them.

I just couldn't get along the single action part.

I prefer double action revolvers for shooting and carry.

mobiushky

The funny thing about the mentality in this thread is that a lot of people believe that they can plan to only be attacked by a single person and that they will only need x number of rounds to deal with that single person. Don't get me wrong, to each his own and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just wonder, if you can guarantee when and how many attackers we plan to have...

Again, I know I'm probably going to spark a massive backlash from the wheel gun faithful, but you don't know how many people you will be facing when the time comes. The mindset of "most likely not need to reload" is insanity to me. I just can't even wrap my mind around that thought. Too many people are 100% convinced that hollywood style one shot kills are the norm and a hand cannon will blow a man back 30 feet with one shot.

I'm not knocking the mythological "stopping power" of any caliber because there's no such thing no matter what caliber. And I do believe that a .44 is a powerful defensive weapon in a lot of conditions. I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of intentionally limiting my ability to fight back under stress. If I could carry 1,000 round mags for my pistol, you're darn right I would. I know, that's just my opinion and others think different. It just doesn't make any sense to me to do that.

WalkingWolf

The funny thing about the mentality in this thread is that a lot of people believe that they can plan to only be attacked by a single person and that they will only need x number of rounds to deal with that single person. Don't get me wrong, to each his own and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just wonder, if you can guarantee when and how many attackers we plan to have...

Again, I know I'm probably going to spark a massive backlash from the wheel gun faithful, but you don't know how many people you will be facing when the time comes. The mindset of "most likely not need to reload" is insanity to me. I just can't even wrap my mind around that thought. Too many people are 100% convinced that hollywood style one shot kills are the norm and a hand cannon will blow a man back 30 feet with one shot.

I'm not knocking the mythological "stopping power" of any caliber because there's no such thing no matter what caliber. And I do believe that a .44 is a powerful defensive weapon in a lot of conditions. I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of intentionally limiting my ability to fight back under stress. If I could carry 1,000 round mags for my pistol, you're darn right I would. I know, that's just my opinion and others think different. It just doesn't make any sense to me to do that.

Please keep in mind the word "my", anything after that your rant is extremely foolish, as you have no control over how others choose. I see control issues as more of a problem in society than a shortage of ammo. But that is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.