• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a .44 Super Blackhawk acceptable for open carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalkingWolf

Forget all the stress and what not(very very valid though) and take this scenario...

3 bad guys, 3 shots each

6 shot revolver.... or
15 round semi auto?

Sent from the back of a black van

And these THREE bad guys all armed are going to stand around and wait their turn at the LAC~~~:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

For the period 1997 – 2001, reports of 482 incidents were examined. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included.
The majority of incidents (52%) took place in the home. Next most common locale (32%) was in a business. Incidents took place in public places in 9% of reports and 7% occurred in or around vehicles. The most common initial crimes were armed robbery (32%), home invasion (30%), and burglary (18%).
Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty.

Claude Werner, Director of Firearms Training LLC. It is an analysis of five years of incidents reported in the NRA "Armed Citizen" column.

Last edited:

SPOProds

3 bad guys. One shot each with a Super Blackhawk. Three left in the cylinder. It's not a little 9mm where you need three shots to take down a target.

Carthago Delenda Est

Shot placement. Caliber means jack. Can you guarantee that it will only take 1 shot?

And these THREE bad guys all armed are going to stand around and wait their turn at the LAC~~~:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did I say that? Please quote where I did. I doubt they'll stand around. But at the risk they begin shooting or pull their own guns, I'll continue to carry more than enough not just enough.

Those that limit themselves to capacities <10 when they aren't trying to conceal are limiting their ability to defend themselves.

Maverick9

Though it may be OK to OC, remember what happens to your firearm if you have to shoot a BG. It gets confiscated and good luck getting it back. (ever).

I would not OC a collectable or even an expensive handgun but would elect to use something in the $500 range, something I could afford to give up, while still being very accurate and with sufficient power and capacity for that very reason.

There are a lot of folks who probably OC silver plated, engraved pieces, but to me, you'd better be aware of the consequences of using them, outside lawyer's fees.

WalkingWolf

Shot placement. Caliber means jack. Can you guarantee that it will only take 1 shot?

Did I say that? Please quote where I did. I doubt they'll stand around. But at the risk they begin shooting or pull their own guns, I'll continue to carry more than enough not just enough.

Those that limit themselves to capacities <10 when they aren't trying to conceal are limiting their ability to defend themselves.

You didn't have to say that, it is implied. If three real bad guys that know what their doing come after you with firearms you don't stand a chance, even if you have a Uzi. They have the advantage, if we are talking about super bad guys, not just the average dimwit criminal. Your what ifs do not even come close to adding up to statistics, in fact IMO it is outright paranoia. Just lock yourself in the house, with a M60, you should be safe then. :lol:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Though it may be OK to OC, remember what happens to your firearm if you have to shoot a BG. It gets confiscated and good luck getting it back. (ever).

I would not OC a collectable or even an expensive handgun but would elect to use something in the $500 range, something I could afford to give up, while still being very accurate and with sufficient power and capacity for that very reason.

There are a lot of folks who probably OC silver plated, engraved pieces, but to me, you'd better be aware of the consequences of using them, outside lawyer's fees.

I tell people that also, but I don't follow that advice all the time though. I do count on the deterrent of a openly carried firearm, and unlike the multiple ninja bad guy fantasy, deterrence is a fact. There are very few instances of OCers with any type of weapon being a victim of a crime.

RandallFlagg

I understand.
That .44 Super Blackhawk was given to me by the Denver Police Department after the case was closed.
You see, it was the firearm that my mentally disturbed Brother used to launch his brains into a tree with in 2006.
I take that weapon out and shoot it on his Birthday, every year.
To celebrate his life.
If any LEO questions me about it, I'll tell him/her that -and let him/her make their own determination.
It's still a HELL of a pistol.
And my Brother was a HELL of a guy.
It's what he would want. He's not a big fan of wasting things.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Continuing on topic.

We have a gentleman on the Virginia sub-forum whose user name is Peter Nap - he loves BIG guns. I mean really loves them. His adapted motto is BIG Guns Save Lives - big as in large bore.

Now how big? Well one of his favorites is a 4" (I think) barreled .460 Rowland.

Guess what? People don't notice it anymore than my 1911. Go figure.

Firearms Iinstuctor

If one can get the job done with five or six shots a revolver is a fine choice.

I carried a couple of them for a decade on the job and didn't think I was under gunned. I still carry revolvers on a regular basics.

If I knew the fight would last for more then 5 or six rounds I much rather have a high capacity semi auto.

My two most carried pistols are a Glock 23 and a 5 shot 41mag. I feel fine when I carried one or the other.

Having a firearm when one needs one is a lot more important then the kind and caliber.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If one can get the job done with five or six shots a revolver is a fine choice.

I carried a couple of them for a decade on the job and didn't think I was under gunned. I still carry revolvers on a regular basics.

If I knew the fight would last for more then 5 or six rounds I much rather have a high capacity semi auto.

My two most carried pistols are a Glock 23 and a 5 shot 41mag. I feel fine when I carried one or the other.

Having a firearm when one needs one is a lot more important then the kind and caliber.

Is your 5 shot .41 mag a Taurus or a conversion? The conversions that I am familiar with were done in .41 Special though.

WalkingWolf

I understand.
That .44 Super Blackhawk was given to me by the Denver Police Department after the case was closed.
You see, it was the firearm that my mentally disturbed Brother used to launch his brains into a tree with in 2006.
I take that weapon out and shoot it on his Birthday, every year.
To celebrate his life.
If any LEO questions me about it, I'll tell him/her that -and let him/her make their own determination.
It's still a HELL of a pistol.
And my Brother was a HELL of a guy.
It's what he would want. He's not a big fan of wasting things.

I am so sorry about your brother~~you must be on very good terms with DPD, which is a good thing. After my father drowned I spent about 5 years working on and around water, a lot of people could not understand it. I don't even know what drew me to work on the water after that, I hope that firearm brings you as much comfort as my time on ocean, and back waters of Fl brought me.

mobiushky

What is not true about the claim of proper shot placement, and that alone upset YOU? Yea I can see you might have problems with accuracy under stress. I have not said anything that was pumped up, just plain and simple each individual person is responsible for their shots, YOU were the one who made stupid ignorant claims of losing accuracy under stress. This was a pleasant conversation until you got your panties in a wad over the spray and pray comment. Seems I hit a nerve. Not my fault you have control issues over how others wish to carry, and because you may not be competent to accurately hit your mark under stress you throw a hissy fit. Life is a beach, maybe you should worry about yourself instead of others.

Whatever man. I'll be sure to remember not take any of your advice on anything. Enjoy your bliss!

AS to the OP, I don't know of any "trash pick ups" organized by the locals. Most of the local CO forum members left this forum a bit back because they were sick of the "ego" measuring as evidenced above. We do have a few M&G's periodically. If you're interested in hitting up a forum where the discussions are more about working with each other and helping each other out, PM me. I'll send you the link. That's where most of the M&Gs are organized now. Enjoy that Ruger, look forward to seeing some day.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...one of his favorites is a 4" (I think) barreled .460 Rowland.

Guess what? People don't notice it anymore than my 1911. Go figure.

A .460 Rowland is still a .45 caliber. The only exterior difference (EDIT: in the firearm) is usually an ubiquitous compensator, which would make a 4" model about like a standard 5" in size.

---

As to the rest of the thread's tangent:
In general, the "what ifs" aren't very interesting. If you play "what if" long enough; you'd better stay home unless you're with an armored tank division.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

Could be worse, could live in Illinois like me. Then you would have no gun at all.

* Carthago Delenda Est *

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A .460 Rowland is still a .45 caliber. The only exterior difference is usually an ubiquitous compensator, which would make a 4" model about like a standard 5" in size.
--snip--.
Casings are slightly longer and loadings are just a little bit different:

460 Rowland
185 grain at 1,550fps 987ftlbs
200 grain at 1,450fps 934ftlbs
230 grain at 1,340fps 917ftlbs

45 ACP +P Factory Ballistics
165 grain at 1250fps 573ftlbs
185 grain at 1150fps 543ftlbs
200 grain at 1050fps 490ftlbs
230 grain at 950fps 461ftlbs

10mm (for comparison)
135 grain at 1400fps 588ftlbs
150 grain at 1325fps 585ftlbs
165 grain at 1250fps 573ftlbs
170 grain at 1360fps 698ftlbs
180 grain at 1220fps 595ftlbs
200 grain at 1200fps 639ftlbs

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2005/03/lies-damned-lies-and-ballistics.html

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Casings are slightly longer and loadings are just a little bit different...

Yes, I was referring to the external appearance of the firearm, since you remarked how others didn't notice it any differently than a standard 1911, because, well, it isn't very different.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, I was referring to the external appearance of the firearm, since you remarked how others didn't notice it any differently than a standard 1911, because, well, it isn't very different.
Only problem with that is one of his is a revolver. Still you are right and that is my point - it is a similar size, but hits much bigger. Note that I am not recommending, just stating/relaying.

Back on topic:
If the Governor does not sign the bill, what happens? It still becomes law, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.