• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cracker barrel on gaskins

thedevilrobyjohn

Never had any problems for years. Was told at the door a few minutes ago that I had to put the gun in my car by the manager. I explained that open carry was legal and that I was within my rights...he said no guns in the store. I pulled my shirt over it and explained that I am licensed to conceal....he said no guns at all. I asked if this was the corporate ploicy...he said yes. I asked if there was a manager higher than him and he said no. I then asked for corporate contacts and his name. I went outside and called corporate...I explained that VA was an open carry state and that I also had a permit. I asked if it was corporate policy to bar handguns legally carried in a holster. I was told that they were sorry for the confusion but that someone higher up would have to contact me. I explained that I will leave my handgun which I am perfectly legally carrying in my van and if by some chance my family is harmed while my peffectly legal weapon not in my posession, law suits would follow. I explained that I was a member of three organizations that fight for and demonstrate the legally given right to bear arms in VA both concealed and open. I explained that if it was simply the managers opinion, then it wouldnt go unnoticed, if it was corporate policy then they have lost a long time patron and im from TN so I do mean a long time and as often as 5 times per month.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Never had any problems for years. Was told at the door a few minutes ago that I had to put the gun in my car by the manager. I explained that open carry was legal and that I was within my rights...he said no guns in the store. I pulled my shirt over it and explained that I am licensed to conceal....he said no guns at all. I asked if this was the corporate ploicy...he said yes. I asked if there was a manager higher than him and he said no. I then asked for corporate contacts and his name. I went outside and called corporate...I explained that VA was an open carry state and that I also had a permit. I asked if it was corporate policy to bar handguns legally carried in a holster. I was told that they were sorry for the confusion but that someone higher up would have to contact me. I explained that I will leave my handgun which I am perfectly legally carrying in my van and if by some chance my family is harmed while my peffectly legal weapon not in my posession, law suits would follow. I explained that I was a member of three organizations that fight for and demonstrate the legally given right to bear arms in VA both concealed and open. I explained that if it was simply the managers opinion, then it wouldnt go unnoticed, if it was corporate policy then they have lost a long time patron and im from TN so I do mean a long time and as often as 5 times per month.

1 - Cracker Barrel's no gun policy has been fairly well known for several years.

2 - Some folks have gotten away with OC at some CBs apparently beause the managers were not enforcing the rule, That does not change the fact that the rule has been there for several years.

3 -
I explained that open carry was legal and that I was within my rights.
Apparently you are under the impression that Cracker Barrel is some sort of government agency to which the Second Amendment applies. Sorry to be the one to break the bad news, but 2A carries no weight with private property/private businesses. If and when OCers/CCers become a "protected class" (race, sex, national origin, religion, etc.) 2A will be enforced against private businesses - but not till then.

4 - It has been found that standing there arguing with management or employees about your "rights" and that what you are doing is "legal" tends to only make those folks dig their heels in deeper due to the impression they form not only of you, but their notion that you are a fair representation of all OCers/CCers. There are other ways of dealing with the situation that seem more likely to result in a change of policy.

5 - Be sure to post the response you get from CB coroprate HQ, as well as te correspondence you sent them. It's often easier to show folks what did or did not work than to try and describe it.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Their address is actually 3620 Mayland Court, though it overlooks Gaskin Rd.

Up until about 2 years ago, we used to have breakfast meet n' greets at that exact store regularly and then feed the geese afterward - no more. Went from the manager, to district, to corporate - same answer, no guns.

Oh well, their loss was someone elses's gain - IHOP, Denny's, Shoney's and others still love us :)

thedevilrobyjohn

hmmm

Im not a good representation of anything or anyone other than a man who refuses to be something he is not by pulling his pants down and destroying his vocabulary. Im quite hostile and angry. I promised the old lady cracker barrel. He asked me to put the weapon that was on my side in my vehicle..he said nothing of the.38 on my ankle or the derringer in my pocket. Ive never been the biggest fan of rules and laws, figure its better to be carried to jail than to the grave. She ate and I was armed to the teeth...oh well, I see now after keywordng cracker barrel that the situation is grim....just never happened to me yet and I have a relative that works at another that we frequent

thedevilrobyjohn

Their address is actually 3620 Mayland Court, though it overlooks Gaskin Rd.

Up until about 2 years ago, we used to have breakfast meet n' greets at that exact store regularly and then feed the geese afterward - no more. Went from the manager, to district, to corporate - same answer, no guns.

Oh well, their loss was someone elses's gain - IHOP, Denny's, Shoney's and others still love us :)

yeah, the fence blocking the geese and ducks piss me off, too....feed em anyway...dont the idiots know ducks and geese can fly?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What everyone said. Somewhere I have a telephone recording of Corporate telling me OC was the only thing prohibited. The one you were at was the instigator of the policy I think.

Don't get abusive, just mark them as a place NOT to spend your money.

scouser

... snip ... Was told at the door a few minutes ago that I had to put the gun in my car by the manager ... snip ...

I have to ask, why even eat there after they told you to disarm? Money speaks in volumes.

^^^

What he said. If the firearm is told to get in the car, you should get in the car with it and go somewhere else. Peter Nap & I have just spent an hour at River City Diner on Parham Rd, one of the

others still love us

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
^^^

What he said. If the firearm is told to get in the car, you should get in the car with it and go somewhere else. Peter Nap & I have just spent an hour at River City Diner on Parham Rd, one of the

Tuesday morning thing a go?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Im not a good representation of anything or anyone other than a man who refuses to be something he is not by pulling his pants down and destroying his vocabulary. Im quite hostile and angry. I promised the old lady cracker barrel. He asked me to put the weapon that was on my side in my vehicle..he said nothing of the.38 on my ankle or the derringer in my pocket. Ive never been the biggest fan of rules and laws, figure its better to be carried to jail than to the grave. She ate and I was armed to the teeth...oh well, I see now after keywordng cracker barrel that the situation is grim....just never happened to me yet and I have a relative that works at another that we frequent

Soooo, you knowingly broke the law?

You won't last long here...sorry.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
I appreciate your making the point to them that their policy results in lost business.

thedevilrobyjohn

never lasted long anywhere and dont give too much of a **** either. We all knowingly break the law daily. In fact, I said **** at VA beach oceanfront...warm up the firing squad. Quess my NRA, VCDL, and monetary contributions to scouser are not welcome any longer?

thedevilrobyjohn

never lasted long anywhere and dont give too much of a **** either. We all knowingly break the law daily. In fact, I said **** at VA beach oceanfront...warm up the firing squad. Quess my NRA, VCDL, and monetary contributions to scouser are not welcome any longer?

guess ill just go outside in the glove box with my fiveseven and cry

TFred

Actually, he was never told to leave the property, in fact, he was asked to simply move the gun that was visible to the car, which was also parked on company property, which he did.

Unless he defied a specific request to leave the property, which the account does not support, I don't agree that any law was broken.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Actually, he was never told to leave the property, in fact, he was asked to simply move the gun that was visible to the car, which was also parked on company property, which he did.

Unless he defied a specific request to leave the property, which the account does not support, I don't agree that any law was broken.

TFred

The OP said...

Never had any problems for years. Was told at the door a few minutes ago that I had to put the gun in my car by the manager. I explained that open carry was legal and that I was within my rights...he said no guns in the store. I pulled my shirt over it and explained that I am licensed to conceal....he said no guns at all.

Since the gun can't walk in and out at will by itself, I think its easily understood that "no guns at all" and "no guns in the store" means that you cannot be in there with a gun.

His condition of entry to be allowed in the store meant that he could not have a gun in there. I see that as trespassing.

va_tazdad

Back in the day

We used to go to the ome on Hull Street regularly. Then they went anti and I refuse to go.

Their summer soups were great, but I have learned to live without. Same as they have learned to live without my money.

TFred

The OP said...

Since the gun can't walk in and out at will by itself, I think its easily understood that "no guns at all" and "no guns in the store" means that you cannot be in there with a gun.

His condition of entry to be allowed in the store meant that he could not have a gun in there. I see that as trespassing.
Yep. :) We'll never agree on this... Until a published court case comes along saying otherwise, I will always hold that until the customer refuses a direct command to leave, no law is broken.

And I realize that since we are talking about a concealed gun, my position is fairly safe, since it is unlikely that anyone will see it. But even if it is clearly understood, store policies are broken all the time, for which there are no trespassing charges. This is another case where a gun in a store should never be treated any differently than any other policy, but even we are all too quick to do the exact opposite.

Example: Theaters routinely have signs that say no outside food, and outside food is routinely smuggled in. Are they trespassing? Maybe technically, yes, but have you ever, and would you advocate, arresting a popcorn smuggler based on a sign, or even a verbal notice, with NO request to leave the property? If you won't arrest for popcorn, you should not arrest for a gun.

TFred

sparkman2

2 reason I don't go to CB

The first reason is obvious. The second reason is I went to the Cracker Barrel in Emporia with the wife and after we got our food and I took my first bite, I was amazed at how awful the food tasted. Did you ever take a drink out of a rubber garden hose on a summer day? That is exactly what the food tasted like. I haven't been to a CB Barrel since. There are plenty of places to eat that don't care about my politics and have no problem standing with me when I exercise my 2A rights. Cracker barrel made their choice as did I.