• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry question - laws in applying in state and federal parks

Vwfinatic273

Hello,

I am coming from North Carolina and doing some camping this week. I'm getting conflicting Info and haven't gotten a return call from the VA governor or Montgomery Sheriffs office. VA state statute 15.2-915 says no localities can make any laws restricting on firearms and makes all precious laws inactive. Do you know anything about this applying in state and federal parks? Thanks for your input

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
State parks in Virginia are good to go for OC. So, by the way, are Virginia State Forests.

If by federal parks you mean National Park Service parks, they are also good to go. National Forests, places under the domain of the Corp of Engineers (like Lake Kerr), have different rules. There is a stiucky at the top of the Virginia page that covers your question in more detail than you probably want. But go read it anyhow.

Why are bothering the Governor? He has minions that deal with stuff like State Parks. Unless the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office has original jurisdiction in a state park within that county they are not likely to know anything about the rules. Go bother the minions who are responsible for dealing with state parks., and maybe look for the web site about Virginia State Parks, where they provide information about firearms.

As for National Parks, they have their own web site. The rules about firearms are right there.

stay safe.

Vwfinatic273

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I called one of the governors minions I guess I should have been clear, not the governor directly. I call the national parks and state parks and all info given conflicted what was online or state laws or even both. Ill read that sticky, being new I'm to so familiar with the site yet thanks again

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the info. I called one of the governors minions I guess I should have been clear, not the governor directly. I call the national parks and state parks and all info given conflicted what was online or state laws or even both. Ill read that sticky, being new I'm to so familiar with the site yet thanks again

Welcome to Virginia BTW (I don't welcome them from the other direction)!

Marco

Hey Peter. As long as they spend lots of money and go back home, that's good. It's when they move down here and try to make Virginia into Massachusetts that gets me.

Remember, not all of us from up North (I'm originally from NYC) have that up North mind set.

Personally, I don't understand folks that leave somewhere and try to turn their new place into the place they left. If you miss it that much take your arse back, some folks might even offer to help them move.

Shenandoah National park is GTG. I know the Ranger's have grown accustom to seeing armed (handgun & long gun) folks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey Peter. As long as they spend lots of money and go back home, that's good. It's when they move down here and try to make Virginia into Massachusetts that gets me.

Marco has a good point. I wouldn't trade Marco or Proshooter for two dozen "Sheriff's" who was born and raised here!:lol:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Remember, not all of us from up North (I'm originally from NYC) have that up North mind set.

Personally, I don't understand folks that leave somewhere and try to turn their new place into the place they left. If you miss it that much take your arse back, some folks might even offer to help them move.

Shenandoah National park is GTG. I know the Ranger's have grown accustom to seeing armed (handgun & long gun) folks. :rolleyes:

You're right Marco and I have known, and do know, some folks from up north who definitely do not have the stereotypical northeastern mindset.

"Personally, I don't understand folks that leave somewhere and try to turn their new place into the place they left. If you miss it that much take your arse back, some folks might even offer to help them move."
Couldn't agree more. If I were of a mind to move to, say, Cape Cod and live out the rest of my life there, I would do my homework first. I would learn as much as I could about their culture, traditions, and customs, and I would do my best to fit in and I would definitely not try to turn them into Southerners nor would I expect them to accommodate my whims and desires. I would want to be one of them. Can't do that when you are trying to make them one of you.

Lyndsy Simon

You're right Marco and I have known, and do know, some folks from up north who definitely do not have the stereotypical northeastern mindset.

"Personally, I don't understand folks that leave somewhere and try to turn their new place into the place they left. If you miss it that much take your arse back, some folks might even offer to help them move."
Couldn't agree more. If I were of a mind to move to, say, Cape Cod and live out the rest of my life there, I would do my homework first. I would learn as much as I could about their culture, traditions, and customs, and I would do my best to fit in and I would definitely not try to turn them into Southerners nor would I expect them to accommodate my whims and desires. I would want to be one of them. Can't do that when you are trying to make them one of you.

I agree to a point.

When I was in Arkansas, I did what I could to be free and to build an appreciation for Liberty in others.

Now that I'm a Virginian, I will do what I can to be free and to build and appreciation for Liberty in others.

SouthernBoy

I agree to a point.

When I was in Arkansas, I did what I could to be free and to build an appreciation for Liberty in others.

Now that I'm a Virginian, I will do what I can to be free and to build and appreciation for Liberty in others.

What we're talking about is people who move to some area that has some long standing traditions and a certain culture and then try to change it in some way or another, either through overt or covert methods. Case in point.

Within the past ten or twelve years, a small town about 60 miles southwest of Washington, DC was "discovered" by people who lived closer to DC as a desirable place to live. Real estate was significantly less as was traffic. And there was the romantic side of a small town in the Virginia Piedmont country.

Then around four years or so ago, issues arose and came to a head with town council meetings and demands by the new transplants to pass laws and do something. Seems the indigenous folks did what the did for generations and the newcomers were appalled. They shot guns on their property and the newcomers wanted that to stop. Now this sort of thing does not exactly endear newcomers to the town folk, especially those who can count their toots in three digit years. Needless to say, the locals were NOT open to any infringements on there traditions in this matter.

It's this sort of thing, along with a host of other demands and intrusions, that the local people find so disgusting and disingenuous from new arrivals. They came from places where this just did not happen and wanted the same thing in their new setting. This is what Marco and Peter and I speak of when we don't want people coming here and bringing their baggage with them. If they come, we expect them to embrace what it means to be a Virginian; to accept our culture, our heritage, and our traditions and become one of us. Not to expect we accommodate their whims and wishes with grounds from some other place.

That's really all there is to it.

MKEgal

SouthernBoy said:
What we're talking about is people who move to some area that has some long standing traditions and a certain culture and then try to change it in some way or another, either through overt or covert methods.
Sounds like what happened 40-ish years ago with non-white people moving into white neighborhoods.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sounds like what happened 40-ish years ago with non-white people moving into white neighborhoods.

Not really. Blacks are Virginians too and have their version of Virginia traditions also. Usually they run side by side with white traditions.
Granted there is a difference between country blacks and city blacks but there is the same difference between whites.

I kinda doubt you're a native Virginian because we've never had the blockbusting problems you just alluded to. I grew up in the mountains and was in school 40 years ago and longer. We never quite learned we were supposed to hate each other and people lived where they could afford.

If you want to bring race into this discussion, try to get your facts straight.

Last edited:

papa bear

i don't know S.BOY, we could bring a lot of freedom to Cape Cod, or a lot of other places in the north. but i don't even want to visit there let alone move there.

VWFINATIC, welcome to the forum. SKIDMARK is right there are more freedoms in VA than NC. hopefully we will get there

BTW we are haveing a meet and greet in W-S. look up the thread on here

SouthernBoy

i don't know S.BOY, we could bring a lot of freedom to Cape Cod, or a lot of other places in the north. but i don't even want to visit there let alone move there.

VWFINATIC, welcome to the forum. SKIDMARK is right there are more freedoms in VA than NC. hopefully we will get there

BTW we are haveing a meet and greet in W-S. look up the thread on here

Yes, perhaps we could but something tells me they don't want what we have down here. I suspect they are just as happy with what they have as we are here with what we have. And I have no problem with that at all. When I visit other places, I never look down my nose at folks who live there and their way of life and of doing things. I wouldn't want someone from outside doing that to me so I don't do that to them. They way I look at it is it's just the way it is.

As for MKEgal's racial remarks, peter nap handled that just fine. I grew up during the 50's and 60's and I had a few black friends (there just weren't that many blacks in my area). I never thought of treating them any differently than anyone else and if I did, there would be hell to pay when I got home. My mom wouldn't have stood for that.

Last edited: