• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Colorado and Open Carry

Thortek

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I just moved to CO from NH so my girlfriend could be closer to her family. At this rate it looks like I will probably be here till about this time next year and we will be going back to NH.

I have noticed the considerable difference in pricing to get a Concealed Permit here compared to NH.

NH: Write a check for $10 and fill out a application (2 week wait).

I am not sure that I can justify spending the Money on a Permit for Arapahoe County which is 158~ and a 90 day wait. I am all for the NRA Pistol course tho just need to find a good one that won't cost a ton.

I just started carrying a week or so ago and so far I have only had positive experiences. I was hoping the people here might share their wealth of knowledge and give some advice to a new OC'er in CO.

And lastly, I want to thank everyone who has posted in this forum previously, I am working my way through the posts and I am surprised by the wealth of information that is to be found.

Thortek

centsi

Campaign Veteran
Welcome Thortek. My advice to you is to do what you have been doing: reading the many posts of the many people on this forum. Get a comfortable knowledge of the law and your rights and then go about your OCing in confidence! Good luck!

mobiushky

Roughly where are staying? Metro Denver? Colorado Springs? Durango? Just asking because there are some unique laws regarding Denver and Denver County. Also, if we knew where it might help getting you in touch with instructors at decent prices as well as places to go shoot.

Do you have a NH concealed carry permit? If you do, CO recognizes a NH resident CCW permit. SO you really wouldn't need to get a CO permit unless you intend to change your residency (like getting a CO driver's license and plates that kind of thing). If you maintain your NH residency, and you have the permit, you're GTG. Keep in mind that CO does not issue non-resident permits. So the only way you could apply is if you change your residency.

If you go the residency route and really want a CO permit, you can get a basic CCW (CHP in CO btw) class and that's usually enough. Just kind of depends on how you want to approach it.

I've been talking with a lot of people lately, CHP has become a really hot ticket item in CO right now. In many cases, people just want to carry in the house and car. If that's the case, no permit is required at all. CO treats your vehicle like an extension of your residence. You can open carry or concealed carry in both your house and car without a permit. You can open carry to a lot of places in CO. But if you do want that CO CHP, it's gonna be a couple hundred. unfortunately.

Thortek

Aurora off 225 Exit 5 area. I never bothered to get my CCW in NH because I
A) worked from home
B) everyplace I went with few exceptions didn't care if I OC'd or not.

And I already did the plate change over and the ID (ID so I can get firearms out here).

Thanks a bunch

Thortek

mobiushky

Aurora off 225 Exit 5 area. I never bothered to get my CCW in NH because I
A) worked from home
B) everyplace I went with few exceptions didn't care if I OC'd or not.

And I already did the plate change over and the ID (ID so I can get firearms out here).

Thanks a bunch

Thortek

Couple ranges semi-close to you. Centennial Gun Club on Arapahoe. Good high quality range and store. I haven't taken any classes from them, but my wife shoots there frequently for their ladies nights. Pretty much everyone who works there is former LEO or former military and it kinds of shows in the way they handle themselves. Really nice people. You can tell they kind of cater to the LEO type. They list their class as $125.

The Shootist is near Santa Fe and Dartmouth. More family business type place. I've never been there, but I've heard a lot of good things from my buddies who have. I have no idea about classes.

If you don't mind a pretty hefty drive (like 3 hours from where you are) there's a guy who runs Kenaz Tactical in CO springs. He's dropped his price to $90 right now.

There are always CHP classes at the Tanner gun show every month.

Double Tap in Golden is holding a month long special for $49.00. It's a no-range time class, so don't know how you feel about that. www.2XTap.com

There are lot's of opportunities. BUT, Arapahoe does not accept any on-line classes so you'll have to go to a class.