Thread: Carrying on motorcycle

Carrying on motorcycle

I am going on a trip on my Harley next week around utah would like to carry my 45 but don't have a CCP yet. I am aware of the Utah law on car carry. Does that law apply on a motorcycle? If not may I carry Utah "unloaded" in my backpack lawfully. I would not like to open carry on my motorcycle. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UtahGunOwner View Post
    I am going on a trip on my Harley next week around utah would like to carry my 45 but don't have a CCP yet. I am aware of the Utah law on car carry. Does that law apply on a motorcycle? If not may I carry Utah "unloaded" in my backpack lawfully. I would not like to open carry on my motorcycle. Thanks
    Just a guess on my part, but I ride a motorcycle and carry every day. Absent one, you would have to carry "Utah unloaded", vbut... since you would not like to OC on your bike, I'm afraid you may have a concealed weapon if you place it in a backpack. I would suggest you call the issuing authority, Utah BCI @ 801-965-4445 to determine how you could legally carry your pistol while actually operating your bike. The firearms laws are also online, or you could inquire at Utahopencarry.com. Good luck. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

The prohibition on carrying a concealed firearm (UCA 76-10-504) does not apply: "...in or on ... a vehicle in the person's lawful possession..."

The prohibition on carrying a loaded firearm (UCA 76-10-505) does not apply: "...in or on a vehicle..." in a person's lawful possession.
    Last edited by MAC702; 06-05-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

The problem you would have is exiting the motorcycle with a concealed firearm.

It's legal to carry loaded on the motorcycle but when you step off your in violation unless you leave it on the bike

You could carry it Utah unloaded then open carry when you exit the bike.

I would recommend you get a Utah permit then you won't have the legalities of trying to load and unload a firearm each time you exit the bike with the firearm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Quote Originally Posted by Utah_Patriot View Post
    I would recommend you get a Utah permit then you won't have the legalities of trying to load and unload a firearm each time you exit the bike with the firearm.
    I second that recommendation.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah_Patriot
    get a Utah permit then you won't have the legalities of trying to load and unload a firearm each time you exit the bike with the firearm.
    Or the danger.
    The less you handle it, the safer everyone is.
    But that won't help you for your trip next week.

Thank you for the feed back. I am 20 years old so I can't get CCP or another 4 months.

Then I would recommend unloaded open carry just stay away from the schools and obvious places you can't carry

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"