• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on motorcycle

UtahGunOwner

I am going on a trip on my Harley next week around utah would like to carry my 45 but don't have a CCP yet. I am aware of the Utah law on car carry. Does that law apply on a motorcycle? If not may I carry Utah "unloaded" in my backpack lawfully. I would not like to open carry on my motorcycle. Thanks

Gil223

I am going on a trip on my Harley next week around utah would like to carry my 45 but don't have a CCP yet. I am aware of the Utah law on car carry. Does that law apply on a motorcycle? If not may I carry Utah "unloaded" in my backpack lawfully. I would not like to open carry on my motorcycle. Thanks
Just a guess on my part, but I ride a motorcycle and carry every day. Absent one, you would have to carry "Utah unloaded", vbut... since you would not like to OC on your bike, I'm afraid you may have a concealed weapon if you place it in a backpack. I would suggest you call the issuing authority, Utah BCI @ 801-965-4445 to determine how you could legally carry your pistol while actually operating your bike. The firearms laws are also online, or you could inquire at Utahopencarry.com. Good luck. Pax...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The prohibition on carrying a concealed firearm (UCA 76-10-504) does not apply: "...in or on ... a vehicle in the person's lawful possession..."

The prohibition on carrying a loaded firearm (UCA 76-10-505) does not apply: "...in or on a vehicle..." in a person's lawful possession.

Last edited:

Utah_Patriot

The problem you would have is exiting the motorcycle with a concealed firearm.

It's legal to carry loaded on the motorcycle but when you step off your in violation unless you leave it on the bike

You could carry it Utah unloaded then open carry when you exit the bike.

I would recommend you get a Utah permit then you won't have the legalities of trying to load and unload a firearm each time you exit the bike with the firearm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MKEgal

Utah_Patriot said:
get a Utah permit then you won't have the legalities of trying to load and unload a firearm each time you exit the bike with the firearm.
Or the danger.
The less you handle it, the safer everyone is.
But that won't help you for your trip next week.

Utah_Patriot

Then I would recommend unloaded open carry just stay away from the schools and obvious places you can't carry

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta