• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon Open Carry Age Question

catastrophic_success

Hi, I am 19 years old. While I am under the federal age to purchase a handgun it is my understanding that I am able to purchase a handgun from a private seller. I have recently been looking at used handguns on armslist.com

If I were to purchase a handgun from a private party, at my current age (19) would I be able to legally open carry said handgun.

hermannr

Hi, I am 19 years old. While I am under the federal age to purchase a handgun it is my understanding that I am able to purchase a handgun from a private seller. I have recently been looking at used handguns on armslist.com

If I were to purchase a handgun from a private party, at my current age (19) would I be able to legally open carry said handgun.

Being an old retired Pfardt, and having lived in OR long ago (50's and 60's and I was a teen at that time) the old answer was yes, you can OC unlicensed at 18. That is one part of Oregon carry I have not kept up on, but I believe it to be still true.

Where you look to find out is ORS 166, in particular ORS 166.170 and following. Carefully read all the regulations.. remember to note this concerns "concealed" weapons. look carefully at ORS 166.250(1)(c)(A), then read ORS 166.250(3) If it is in a holster on your hip, it is not to be considered "concealed" and many restrictions go away. Also pay attention to ORS 166.260.

If all else fails and you are still nervous, ask a lawyer or a judge. Oh yes, and be careful of ORS 166.360-380. If you will look at ORS 166.360ff you will see there laws concern "possession" not a "concealed" weapon. Where the law concerns "possession" it applies to any possession, not just concealed possession. Those you want to know very well as they will apply to your unlicensed OC too.

Be careful up around Portland. There are local government jurisdictions that have made use of ORS 166.173, and restrict LOADED unlicensed OC in their jurisdictions...OK? Read the law, study the law, know the law, and you will be able to abide the law.

It states: "is under the age of 18" And in ORS 166.250(3)

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Last edited:

We-the-People

YES

Open carry of a handgun is legal at age 18. As you don't have a CHL you'll have to be cognizant of those areas that are prohibited to non CHL holders as well as local ordinances prohibiting the carry of LOADED firearms.