Thread: Coming from North Carolina to travel through what is the law?

Coming from North Carolina to travel through what is the law?

Hey everyone,
    I am traveling through to Wisconsin. I have a concealed carry permit from North Carolina. I was wondering what the general statue says for Illinois do I have to open carry or just what's the laws there?

Thanks
    Blake

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blgreene89 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I am traveling through to Wisconsin. I have a concealed carry permit from North Carolina. I was wondering what the general statue says for Illinois do I have to open carry or just what's the laws there?

Thanks
    Blake
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Long story short: unless you want to carry unloaded in a fanny pack in the regions where there aren't local prohibitions on carry, you can neither carry openly nor concealed. The new bill hasn't been made into law officially yet and, as there always is with IL, there is a lot of drama surrounding it.

Until our governor signed the Illinois concealed carry bill, which probably won't be for another month. Your only option is unloaded, in a case, and not readily accesible.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYT View Post
    Until our governor signed the Illinois concealed carry bill, which probably won't be for another month. Your only option is unloaded, in a case, and not readily accesible.
    So a lock box in the trunk of my car unloaded would be okay to through to get into Wisconsin?
    Is there a general statue number for this law?

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Good luck in your travels and be careful. Especially stay out of the Chicago/Cook county areas if at all possible!

Check out the laws here at the Illinois State Police website.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
    Ill actually be going right through Chicago why what's up with them?

Actually not readily accessible isn't a requirement by state law, just unloaded and encased, magazine outside the firearm, but can be loaded and in the same case, and you need a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card, but since you are from out-of-state that won't apply. The only problem is local ordinances in Chicago and some other northern Illinois cities. Avoid Chicago if you can, or transport by federal guidelines.

The Illinois Supreme Court ruled that the center console is a case.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Oh dear God!

Going through Chicago, I strongly advise you to not - repeat NOT - take any guns with you!!

We here in Illinois frequently refer to the area as "Crook County" for obvious reasons. It's part of the reason Dumbo and Co. are referred to as "Chicago thugs".
    If you get stopped for ANY reason, it is possible the CPD will search your car. If they find firearms, even if in your trunk, in a locked case, and ESPECIALLY if it is one of their numerous "banned" types (ARs, AKs, SKSs, etc.), be ready for a LONG (and expensive) stay!
    I thought unloaded, encased, locked and inaccessable conform to federal transport laws. Which correct me if I am wrong, trump any local or state law. How can they legally ban you as a non-resident from transporting to your final destination? I can understand them regulating ownership and carrying but transportation through the state, isn't that federally regulated?
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

You described the proper way to transport through the state, and yes it is federally regulator for transport, but that doesn't stop Cook county from confiscating, and charging with felony charges, as well as ordinance violations. Just had a case last year that started as a transport through the state, and ended with involving the NRA lawyers, and the Illinois NRA lobbyist, to get the charges dropped and the veterans guns returned.

You described the proper way to transport through the state, and yes it is federally regulator for transport, but that doesn't stop Cook county from confiscating, and charging with felony charges, as well as ordinance violations. Just had a case last year that started as a transport through the state, and ended with involving the NRA lawyers, and the Illinois NRA lobbyist, to get the charges dropped and the veterans guns returned.
    Chicago likes to impound your car too. Just as a bonus.

If it were me, I would take I-294 around Chicago instead of 90/94 through it.
    Last edited by kurt555gs; 06-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.