• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming from North Carolina to travel through what is the law?

blgreene89

Hey everyone,
I am traveling through to Wisconsin. I have a concealed carry permit from North Carolina. I was wondering what the general statue says for Illinois do I have to open carry or just what's the laws there?

Thanks
Blake

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Hey everyone,
I am traveling through to Wisconsin. I have a concealed carry permit from North Carolina. I was wondering what the general statue says for Illinois do I have to open carry or just what's the laws there?

Thanks
Blake

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Long story short: unless you want to carry unloaded in a fanny pack in the regions where there aren't local prohibitions on carry, you can neither carry openly nor concealed. The new bill hasn't been made into law officially yet and, as there always is with IL, there is a lot of drama surrounding it.

RANDYT

Until our governor signed the Illinois concealed carry bill, which probably won't be for another month. Your only option is unloaded, in a case, and not readily accesible.

blgreene89

Until our governor signed the Illinois concealed carry bill, which probably won't be for another month. Your only option is unloaded, in a case, and not readily accesible.

So a lock box in the trunk of my car unloaded would be okay to through to get into Wisconsin?
Is there a general statue number for this law?

junglebob

Actually not readily accessible isn't a requirement by state law, just unloaded and encased, magazine outside the firearm, but can be loaded and in the same case, and you need a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card, but since you are from out-of-state that won't apply. The only problem is local ordinances in Chicago and some other northern Illinois cities. Avoid Chicago if you can, or transport by federal guidelines.

The Illinois Supreme Court ruled that the center console is a case.

Hevymetal

Oh dear God!

Going through Chicago, I strongly advise you to not - repeat NOT - take any guns with you!!

We here in Illinois frequently refer to the area as "Crook County" for obvious reasons. It's part of the reason Dumbo and Co. are referred to as "Chicago thugs".
If you get stopped for ANY reason, it is possible the CPD will search your car. If they find firearms, even if in your trunk, in a locked case, and ESPECIALLY if it is one of their numerous "banned" types (ARs, AKs, SKSs, etc.), be ready for a LONG (and expensive) stay!

I thought unloaded, encased, locked and inaccessable conform to federal transport laws. Which correct me if I am wrong, trump any local or state law. How can they legally ban you as a non-resident from transporting to your final destination? I can understand them regulating ownership and carrying but transportation through the state, isn't that federally regulated?

RANDYT

You described the proper way to transport through the state, and yes it is federally regulator for transport, but that doesn't stop Cook county from confiscating, and charging with felony charges, as well as ordinance violations. Just had a case last year that started as a transport through the state, and ended with involving the NRA lawyers, and the Illinois NRA lobbyist, to get the charges dropped and the veterans guns returned.

kurt555gs

You described the proper way to transport through the state, and yes it is federally regulator for transport, but that doesn't stop Cook county from confiscating, and charging with felony charges, as well as ordinance violations. Just had a case last year that started as a transport through the state, and ended with involving the NRA lawyers, and the Illinois NRA lobbyist, to get the charges dropped and the veterans guns returned.

Chicago likes to impound your car too. Just as a bonus.

If it were me, I would take I-294 around Chicago instead of 90/94 through it.

Last edited: