Thread: NYS Senator Joe Griffo, Bill S.2402 felony to annoy a cop. Russia Today. Where's NYT?

NYS Senator Joe Griffo, Bill S.2402 felony to annoy a cop. Russia Today. Where's NYT?

" Sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo, Bill S.2402 would make it a felony to “harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.”

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.” http://rt.com/usa/us-police-harrassment-crime-308/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    " Sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo, Bill S.2402 would make it a felony to “harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.”

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.” http://rt.com/usa/us-police-harrassment-crime-308/
    "I'm charging you with felony annoyance. Bend over and hands behind your back!"

Founder's Club Member
    I wonder how much money the police unions contributed to his campaign.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

The NYPD needs protection from 'civilians' with scary black high capacity auto-focus anti-shake ASSAULT VIDEO CAMERAS.

Banned
    hey senator ... ya already got that law .. called obstruction ... duh.

Update: Link URL to NY Senate Bill S. 2402 Establishes the crime of aggravated harass

S2402-2013 Text

S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

2013-2014 Regular Sessions

I N SENATE

January 17, 2013

Introduced by Sens. GRIFFO, DeFRANCISCO, GALLIVAN, LARKIN, LIBOUS,
    MAZIARZ, RANZENHOFER, SEWARD, YOUNG -- read twice and ordered printed,
    and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Codes

AN ACT to amend the penal law, in relation to aggravated harassment of
    peace officers or police officers

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM-
    BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 240.33 to
    read as follows:

S 240.33 AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER.
    A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR
    PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM
    A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE
    OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER
    OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS
    SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.
    AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER IS A CLASS
    E FELONY.
    S 2. This act shall take effect on the first of November next succeed-
    ing the date on which it shall have become a law.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2402-2013

Banned
    now I'm annoyed ... where do I file my complaint?

I would pepper the cop with this query: are you annoyed yet? are you annoyed yet? etc
    what the heck am I? a mind reader? I gotta ask then !
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 06-07-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Banned
    S 240.33 AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER.
    OFFICER
    OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER
    SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT
    If you are having trouble understanding what this bill says, read the bolded part and then read the whole bill.

Annoying a cop WILL NOT be made illegal. Striking, shoving, kicking, etc. (which are already illegal) can now result in another charge.

OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER
    SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.
    One now wonders if you can strike or shove a police officer if you have no intent to harass, annoy or threaten them? Is there a law covering 'aggravated harassment', of which a person who has intent shall be guilty? Why two laws to cover the same behavior?

Wait...it's already an existing law. http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal...31_240.31.html ISTM the prosecutor could just pile on this charge with no additional legal verbiage added to the books.

Now, one wonders the motivation for a new 'law'.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 06-07-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Red face

Sorry officer, I farted.
    Well your arrested, it really annoyed me.
    But I just went to Taco Bell for lunch.

I do not see in the law where annoying and physical contact are combined. It appears to me by the comma that they are two separate actions, that one or both could present a charge. If it was necessary for physical contact to be present for the charge it would have had a "and" in there. The bill is stupid, as well as poorly written. And clearly being misinterpreted by some here.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I do not see in the law where annoying and physical contact are combined. It appears to me by the comma that they are two separate actions, that one or both could present a charge. If it was necessary for physical contact to be present for the charge it would have had a "and" in there. The bill is stupid, as well as poorly written. And clearly being misinterpreted by some here.
    I agree, but it is NY, I would be in trouble for my 64oz soda right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kdt1970 View Post
    Sorry officer, I farted. Well your arrested, it really annoyed me. But I just went to Taco Bell for lunch.
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: LEO Bashing
    Last edited by John Pierce; 06-10-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    If you are having trouble understanding what this bill says, read the bolded part and then read the whole bill.

Annoying a cop WILL NOT be made illegal. Striking, shoving, kicking, etc. (which are already illegal) can now result in another charge.
    Something doesn't make sense, though. It cannot possibly be legal to touch a cop in the performance of his duty; meaning I don't believe for one second that assaulting a cop isn't already illegal. Any unprivileged offensive touching is already assault, and I don't doubt for a second that doing it to a cop performing his duty has already been illegal, with stiff penalties, for a long time in NY.

So, what gives? This law is meant to do something; that's for sure. So, what is it? It doesn't make sense that it is a bone thrown to cops--cops ain't dumb enough to fail to recognize that it gives them something they already got. So, what is the real intention behind this law I wonder?

I wonder if this bill just raises the penalty. Maybe from a top-tier misdemeanor to a felony?
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-08-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Something doesn't make sense, though. It cannot possibly be legal to touch a cop in the performance of his duty; meaning I don't believe for one second that assaulting a cop isn't already illegal. Any unprivileged offensive touching is already assault, and I don't doubt for a second that doing it to a cop performing his duty has already been illegal, with stiff penalties, for a long time in NY.

So, what gives? This law is meant to do something; that's for sure. So, what is it? It doesn't make sense that it is a bone thrown to cops--cops ain't dumb enough to fail to recognize that it gives them something they already got. So, what is the real intention behind this law I wonder?

I wonder if this bill just raises the penalty. Maybe from a top-tier misdemeanor to a felony?
    Of course it's already illegal. That's the stupidity of this law.

Under this law, if you strike a cop, you can be charged with assault, NY's equivalent of assaulting an officer, and now (if they can prove a desire to annoy or one of the other motives) violation of this law. Proving the intent to annoy is going to be so difficult that I don't foresee anyone being charged under this law.

However, my main motive for posting in these threads, besides to annoy , is to point out the deception that this law outlaws annoying a cop. It outlaws striking an officer if the motivation is to annoy. You are still free to annoy the hell out of a cop, as long as you do not strike him.