• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Senate Passes Bill Making annoying a Police Officer a Felony

eye95

All I care about is getting the truth out to as many as possible, I can only present truth, I can't make you believe it, if you want to believe the police's lies, then I'm a criminal anyway acording to you and by responding to what I say, you are assoeating with a criminal, that makes you a criminal by assoseation. I know I didn't spell that right but what do you expect from a criminal?

You are not presenting truth. Your post presented a complete falsehood.

You are not regularly demonstrating a grounding in reality. You did not want to hear that, but it needs to be said. I hope you choose to do something about that.

Moving on.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You are flat wrong. An officer is someone who holds an office (not the room, the position). There are a lot of office-holders, aka officers, other than military officers.

you are free to disagree but it is you who are wrong; sorry charlie

rushcreek2

IF - this proposed law is ALREADY LAW....why ?

TO ENCOMPASS THOSE LITTLE SET-TO'S between COPS and the citizenry WHEREIN " ANNOYANCE " has yet to be codified.

Make no mistake about it - the KEY WORD in this bill is " annoying ". The rest of the language is fluff designed to obscure the "annoying" element.

eye95

IF - this proposed law is ALREADY LAW....why ?

TO ENCOMPASS THOSE LITTLE SET-TO'S between COPS and the citizenry WHEREIN " ANNOYANCE " has yet to be codified.

Make no mistake about it - the KEY WORD in this bill is " annoying ". The rest of the language is fluff designed to obscure the "annoying" element.

No, it is not a key word, let alone the key word. It is one of a list of motives that will have to be proved in order for the charge to stick. It isn't even part of the list of actions that constitute crimes. Remove the list of motives (of which annoying is only one), and it actually becomes easier to convict someone under this new law.

Again, this law defines no new actions as crimes. If you take an action (that is already a crime) AND you are motivated by a desire to annoy the cop (or a few other motives), then an additional charge can be heaped on you, apart from the charge for breaking an existing law.

MKEgal

So basically what they're doing is creating another thought crime, just like any other hate crime.
If your actions are motivated by wanting to annoy a cop, why are they treated more harshly than the same exact actions motivated only by wanting to harm the cop?
Punishment should be for actions, not thoughts.

eye95 said:
[to joanie, Grove City, OH]
You are not regularly demonstrating a grounding in reality. You did not want to hear that, but it needs to be said. I hope you choose to do something about that.
+1

EMNofSeattle

The "OR" that you highlighted is between "POLICE OFFICER" and "PEACE OFFICER." It has nothing to do with the actions, but is instead making the actions a crime if the target is either a police officer or a peace officer. I have no idea what the difference is between those two in NY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

There is slight differences in Authority. It actually is quite complex from reading the NY Penal law and seems to be more a function of the agency then of power...

However from reading the appropriate laws it appears to me that a Police Officer by default has the power to carry firearms, make warrantless arrests, using deadly force, etc etc etc

a Peace Officer appears to have these powers, but the powers only apply by default when on duty, and the agency employing the officer has the power to determine if the officer can exercise off duty powers or even some on duty powers (basically an ala carte cop where the agency gets to pick and choose which powers to afford a peace officer)

For instance look at this wikipedia page..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_New_York_City#City_government_agencies

It appears in New York city there are about a dozen different law enforcement agencies belonging to several city departments, but that most of them like the Sanitation police and homeless service police are armed only with a baton (no firearm) but have full police powers such as the ability to write tickets and make arrests. also it appears new york's auxilary police officers are considered peace officers and that under an emergency declared by the mayor that the firefighters can become peace officers temporarily. what a strange set-up.

eye95

So basically what they're doing is creating another thought crime, just like any other hate crime.
If your actions are motivated by wanting to annoy a cop, why are they treated more harshly than the same exact actions motivated only by wanting to harm the cop?
Punishment should be for actions, not thoughts...

Yes. That is precisely the problem with the law.