• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had to draw today!

tannerwaterbury

So today was an interesting day: There was a 2 on 1 beating going on in my yard, so I went to look to see what was going on. It LOOKED like one of the people had been using something as a weapon, so I went back inside and grabbed my gun, then went back outside and ordered them off my lawn. Luckily there was another gentleman that knew the beaten girl, and took her to get treatment. The other 2 people fled, and I think the cops caught up with them later. Did I do anything wrong in this instance, or was I justified? I know that the Stand Your Ground Statute states that I can defend others if there was a life threatening act (which is what I thought was happening due to one of the assailants apparently having something in their hand while punching) so I just want to get clarified if what I did was considered justified?

Mattimusmaximus

Clearly justified and if was on the jury for your case I'd say only thing he is guilty of is saving a life

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So today was an interesting day: There was a 2 on 1 beating going on in my yard, so I went to look to see what was going on. It LOOKED like one of the people had been using something as a weapon, so I went back inside and grabbed my gun, then went back outside and ordered them off my lawn. Luckily there was another gentleman that knew the beaten girl, and took her to get treatment. The other 2 people fled, and I think the cops caught up with them later. Did I do anything wrong in this instance, or was I justified? I know that the Stand Your Ground Statute states that I can defend others if there was a life threatening act (which is what I thought was happening due to one of the assailants apparently having something in their hand while punching) so I just want to get clarified if what I did was considered justified?

Not enough information to form an opinion.
We would have to assume the fight was between (school) girls and your physical condition is unknown to me, was there or was there not a weapon, were there witness?
Any use of force must be necessary and reasonable as viewed by a reasonable prudent person.

It is normal to question yourself afterwards as your brain tries to deal with justifying your actions.
One needs to articulate the ability, opportunity and jeopardy and how it all came together at that point in time to create an imminent threat of life or limb.

tannerwaterbury

Not enough information to form an opinion.
We would have to assume the fight was between (school) girls and your physical condition is unknown to me, was there or was there not a weapon, were there witness?
Any use of force must be necessary and reasonable as viewed by a reasonable prudent person.

It is normal to question yourself afterwards as your brain tries to deal with justifying your actions.
One needs to articulate the ability, opportunity and jeopardy and how it all came together at that point in time to create an imminent threat of life or limb.

No, not school girls, definitely in their 20's at the least. But it definitely wasn't a FIGHT as it was a beating by 2 "women" (I use that term lightly) and one appeared to of had something in the hand. That girl who was getting bear was pretty bloodied too, so it seemed as though it may have been something other than fists to intensify the punch. First time it's happened in my yard. I swear too, the area is becoming more and more unsafe. I sure as hell didn't want her hurt anymore, and those girls and their one guy friend scattered (he wasn't involved, just stood around). I was shaking afterwords too... I NEVER want to do that again.

Last edited:

OC for ME

On your property. 2 on 1. You thought one hand a weapon. Felony assault on another citizen? What does the law in WA on the use of lethal force say about that situation.

They were assaulting another citizen on your property, you go out to "investigate" and the possibility that they may attack you is a reasonable belief.....if I were on the jury.

sudden valley gunner

No you should have called the cops and hope they don't kill the other girl by time they get there......not!

Sounds like you did the right thing. Hopefully some overzealous cops or prosecutor don't decide to harass you for it.

An acquaintance of mine was arrested for thwarting a crime in her house, the police refused to let her lock up and she came home to another burglary in progress.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No, not school girls, definitely in their 20's at the least. But it definitely wasn't a FIGHT as it was a beating by 2 "women" (I use that term lightly) and one appeared to of had something in the hand. That girl who was getting bear was pretty bloodied too, so it seemed as though it may have been something other than fists to intensify the punch. First time it's happened in my yard. I swear too, the area is becoming more and more unsafe. I sure as hell didn't want her hurt anymore, and those girls and their one guy friend scattered (he wasn't involved, just stood around). I was shaking afterwords too... I NEVER want to do that again.

That is what I was looking for.
The shaking afterwards is pure adrenalin, and supports the fact you were in fear of her life or limb.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The OP's dilemma could have been nada if the law is how it should be: you can shoot anyone on your land ...

should push for this to be the law .... its simple and everyone would stay off folks' property they know that they are not welcome upon.

appears as if the girls were discussing going back on the gold standard ... the discussion just got out of hand

sudden valley gunner

The OP's dilemma could have been nada if the law is how it should be: you can shoot anyone on your land ...

should push for this to be the law .... its simple and everyone would stay off folks' property they know that they are not welcome upon.

appears as if the girls were discussing going back on the gold standard ... the discussion just got out of hand

Nah too many mistakes to be made, trespassing is a better route...

sirpuma

Totally Justified

You did the right thing. And it wouldn't matter if they were teens or twenties. Teens can kill just as easily as adults and they often use weapons too.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Should have called 911 also to CYA, in case the assailants, or a neighbor not knowing what was going on saw you with the gun as the aggressor. From all I've read, "he who calls 911" wins. Also you could give descriptions of the people involved. A lot of people involved in gang stuff won't call the cops even if they are on the receiving end.

tannerwaterbury

Should have called 911 also to CYA, in case the assailants, or a neighbor not knowing what was going on saw you with the gun as the aggressor. From all I've read, "he who calls 911" wins. Also you could give descriptions of the people involved. A lot of people involved in gang stuff won't call the cops even if they are on the receiving end.

It was pretty clear that I was NOT the aggressor, there were at LEAST 2 witnesses who came to intervene, not to mention a truck where the driver was holding its horn without pause, which is what alerted me to the whole thing anyways. The one gentleman really wasn't doing much in terms of intervention, but he told me to put the gun away, which I told HIM to get them off my damned lawn. Really... some people with the nerve to assume everything was alright and allowing the beating to continue really sickens me.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

It was pretty clear that I was NOT the aggressor, there were at LEAST 2 witnesses who came to intervene, not to mention a truck where the driver was holding its horn without pause, which is what alerted me to the whole thing anyways. The one gentleman really wasn't doing much in terms of intervention, but he told me to put the gun away, which I told HIM to get them off my damned lawn. Really... some people with the nerve to assume everything was alright and allowing the beating to continue really sickens me.

Your story keeps evolving and growing and this in itself tends to bring your recall of events suspect to the actual facts. One needs to be thorough in articulating such an encounter.

Maverick9

To me it's the height of folly to insert yourself into a situation that you are not a part of, that does not include or affect your loved ones AND you brought a firearm into the mix on the assumption there was a weapon (?) being used. You should have called 911 and stayed the heck out of it. You don't know the people (and they can turn on you). You don't know the situation and next thing you know they're accusing YOU of something. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Glad you're safe but stay out of other people's fights. Being on your property is a trespassing problem at most.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
You may not want to answer these, at least on a public forum:
Did you draw and point the gun at anyone?​
Were you just holding it in hand?​
Did you make any threatening gestures or words?​
Did you say you had a gun or did they just notice?​

If it were me, I probably would have just left my gun holstered and taken a stance a good distance away and yelled something to the effect of

'Police are on the way, Your on my property get off'. If that was not enough bring attention to my holstered firearm, just yelling 'GUN!' or something likely is enough to get them to look up. I like to stay away from phrases like 'I got a gun'. If that did not help, hopefully the police be there shortly. I wouldn't interject myself any further than that unless it was absolutely needed.

Something that was not yet mentioned, If the situation warranted you drawing a weapon, you need to make sure you call 911 at the earliest.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No doubt something needed to be done to stop the threat.
One must assess to what degree of force will stop the threat that is reasonable and not more then necessary.
Always contact law enforcement when you draw your weapon to stop a threat! If it was serious enough to unholster then it's serious enough g to make the call to 911, why some ask? Witnesses will become aware of the incident and will view it differently then you or another and when law enforcement is called our become involved it would be a greater benefit to you too have them here it from you first then trying to react to what others reported.
I am not looking to be critical of your actions but it is something you need to keep in mind.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I know you are not the aggressor, you know you are not the aggressor, but the cops are just going to hear "there was this guy with a gun!". So like I said, call 911 to CYA.

gsx1138

Even though monday morning quarterbacking is expected on a forum I won't. Sounds like you did the right thing. 2 on 1 is a disparity of force and throw in a possible weapon your reaction is spot on. Assuming you've been completely honest in this discussion.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If it were me, I probably would have just left my gun holstered and taken a stance a good distance away and yelled something to the effect of

+1

Come on, folks. If you've been around this forum long enough there's no excuse for anything but full-time, every day open carry (EDOC).

There's no reason to be "grabbing" your gun. First of all, that means you didn't have it on you (fail!). Second of all, that means you're holding it the whole time. There's a thread from just last week about a guy who was shot and killed by the police on his own property for walking outside holding a gun. He was the one who called them, too. (Odds are pretty damn good a holster would have saved his life.)

I agree it's reasonable to attempt to stop a fight, especially when it's on your own property (as opposed to the "call 911 and wait" approach). However, a holstered handgun and the control voice can be all it takes without endangering you legally. Walking outside holding a gun is asking for trouble, IMO.

Last edited: