• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in and through water

Nicholas A.

As the title suggests I'm planning on being in and going through water on several hiking trips. I dont wish to leave my gun on shore if I decide to go in the water for a short swim or the like due to well I prefer to have control over my gun rather then leave it some distance away or take it off in a public place. My questions are what do others suggest for this sort of situations and two if I take the gun with me and do go for a swim what sort of grease or oil or the like should I use on my gun. I'm not sure if it will matter much but I carry a Sig Sauer P226

jeeper1

Carry several zip lock bags and use at least 3 at a time to protect you gun. If it gets wet, well, the WD in WD40 means "water displacing".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Want to say WT* - why? But I won't. Instead going to give straight answer(s).

There is nothing practical that you can do in the way of water proofing (keeping it totally dry) when the gun is subjected to full immersion. You can clean it, dry it and lubricate (protect it) afterward, but it is unlikely that you will want to carry all of the necessary supplies/equipment with you on a hiking trip.

You could put it in a heavy zip lock bag and secure it to your body in some fashion.

You could put it in a water tight container/box and tow it behind you or push it in front of you.

You could hike with a friend who could stay on dry land and hold your gun will you go for a dip sans gun.

You could also not worry about getting it thoroughly soaked - just wear it in a kydex holster, nylon belt rig and have at it. Guns will shoot underwater (not generally recommended) and will normally function quite well when full of water or freshly dunked.

Here is a video of a handgun being shot underwater:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/1287391-can-gun-thats-been-under-water.html

If we do go to the beach/pool, we leave the gun in a bag with a trusted friend and take turns swimming - we adapt. Those that hike and take a dip or bath in a stream likely hide their gun on shore somewhere hard for a stranger to find. I know you excluded that as an option - maybe you shouldn't.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Zip-lock bags are OK, but you then have to figure out how to secure them to your body.

Otterbox, Pelican, and similar brands of dry boxes come in sizes that your 226 will just barely fit into. They either come with or you can rig a lanyard to them and tie it to some part of your body/clothing. Take some advice based on personal experience: if it's not a major name brand, try it out before you take off, using some inexpenside gear you would not mind getting wet.

Shops dedicated to the diving sport and outdoor shops that cater to kyakers are a ready source of "dry bags" that are more expensive and possibly more effective than a zip-lock bag. Hiking stores should carry Alosak bags which are super zip-lock bags, Their Splashksak line comes with either lanyards or a waistband.

Just be aware that you will be hauling around a flotation device no matter what you use. As you say you will be hiking, I am guessing that looking like a dork in public is not a matter of concern to you.

No matter what you use, you will not have imediate use of your handgun. Keep that in mind if you are in an area where it might be prudent to have someone acting as overwatch while the rest of you frolic in the water.

stay safe.

Fallschirjmäger

Just wear it and don't worry about it. If you go into the water be more concerned about losing your pistol rather than it getting wet.
There other manufactures of very compact cleaning kits. Just another small item in your day pack. I carry one of these when I go duck hunting.
http://www.proshotproducts.com/Tactical-Jag-Pull-Through-Cleaning-System-_c_163.html
Short-term immersion in water, even sea water won't hurt your gun as long as it's lubed* beforehand and cleaned afterwards. The only real worry would be the ammunition as not all ammo is sealed against water. I've had ammo that went through the washer (and dryer :eek:) and still went off the next day when I emptied the magazine on the range, but I don't recommend it. If I knew I was going into the water I'd at least attempt to seal the case mouth and primer cup with clear nail polish.

*with something well known for resisting corrosion; there are online reports and I'm a personal fan of Eezox.

Nicholas A.

Thank you all for the suggestions. For whatever reason I hadn't thought of a water proof box or a set of zip lock bags. As for fear of losing the gun in water I'm not worried about that with the style of holster I use that wont be a problem

WalkingWolf

Last week I fell in standing water and completely immersed my 1911, nothing to worry about. When I was done for the day I took it apart completely, putting the parts in the toaster oven to dry. Then after drying it was lubed and reassembled.

Most ammo should be fine, especially factory ammo. Not only are the tight tolerances to small for water to get to the powder and primer, when the bullet is loaded air is compressed in the case making it nearly impossible for the ammo to get wet. I have accidentally washed 38 ammo in the wash machine, and pulled the bullets to check for wet powder. They were always dry and when reassembled went bang.

If though you are going to be in salt water, and the gun gets wet, keep a bucket of fresh water to submerge it in, after shaking off the salt water. Leave it in the fresh water long enough to dilute the crevices with fresh water.

As said use a kydex, nylon, or a hot wax treated leather holster for water use. Leather treated with beeswax or even paraffin wax will be as hard as kydex, and waterproof. I treat my cotton web belts with paraffin to make them stiff for use with belt slide holsters. A leather belt treated with wax will be as stiff as a kydex belt. I also make my cotton shoes waterproof by the same method. Keep in mind that leather and especially cotton treated with wax is very flammable if exposed to flames.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Most of you know, I carry all the time. The fact that I live in Washington State proves that I have a weapon that is almost always wet at least once a day.
1. Worried about losing it?? Get a lanyard and tie your weapon. Lanyard rings are great.
2. Worried about corrosion? Clean it. Thats all, just clean it when it gets wet.
3. Have a good trip. Don't obsess about the weapon, just have a good time and adjust.

Nicholas A.

sounds like sound advice thank you all. for water I will happily use my level 3 holster which will take care of that worry and it is one of the injection molded holsters which makes things a nice. I haven't taken it out where there will be a deep enough to submerge it or the like so just didn't want to take a chance.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have enough guns to choose from that if I expect this situation, I wear a stainless steel S&W Model 65 .357 fixed-sight revolver in kydex. Then I just let it get wet, and I never have it inaccessible. This is for the hiking through water part, I still don't swim with it...

Last edited: