• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opencarry.org is a Political/Partisan group says the WI DOT

rickrich

The opencarry.org Adopt a Highway signs will be taken down per the attached letter.

Attachments

• opencarry.jpg
    opencarry.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 482

rickrich

Here's a pic of the sign

This is from a cleanup day in '11

Attachments

• adoptsign.jpg
    adoptsign.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 336

papa bear

partisan? not possible sense there are members of all parties. political, don't know about that. since opencarry.org does not have any political power, or any active funds or standing political stance.

i am partial to saying, who gives a rats but, let the highways go dirty. there are plenty of prisoners that can clean the roads

but i do understand the PR that comes with doing a good deed and having your name on the board. not excluding the camaraderie of getting together to do something

is there a different controlling group to appeal to?

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is from a cleanup day in '11

I see ... they are missing their "cheese heads" lol .. oh wait, that's the pic, not the sign ...

The sign ...Really, the name is OK ... what is wrong then??? The WI Chapter portion?

they are likely still picking up my MT beer cans from my WI beer runs when I was younger ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5k4I1AOEI

Last edited:

MKEgal

That makes even less sense than usual. :eek:
"Your group has a Political/Partisan group name."
As far as I can tell, the group name they have on file is opencarry.org
WTH is political or partisan about that? (And neither word deserves to be in upper case.)
Am I reading that right? What's on the signs currently?

What other name would she find acceptable?
Wisconsin Open Carry?
Second Amendment Citizens?
Civil Rights Supporters of Wisconsin?
Second Amendment Supporters of Wisconsin?

I think she needs a bunch of emails asking those exact questions.
margaretj.brown@dot.wi.gov
262-548-8722

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

That makes even less sense than usual. :eek:
"Your group has a Political/Partisan group name."
As far as I can tell, the group name they have on file is opencarry.org
WTH is political or partisan about that? (And neither word deserves to be in upper case.)
Am I reading that right? What's on the signs currently?

What other name would she find acceptable?
Wisconsin Open Carry?
Second Amendment Citizens?
Civil Rights Supporters of Wisconsin?
Second Amendment Supporters of Wisconsin?

I think she needs a bunch of emails asking those exact questions.
margaret.brown@dot.wi.gov
262-548-8722

Try "Society for Reasonable Gun Laws" while doing open carry litter pickup.

word is, this will also get you special breaks from the IRS as a bonus!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What wording on the sign is presenting the problem?

Never underestimate the ability of a bureaucrat to obfuscate.

Just send a reply letter obfuscating in return.

For example,

Dear Ms. Bureaucrat

We're not sure why we're being told to take down the sign, since we didn't put it up. But, we'll be happy to take the sign down. We'll take it down Wednesday. Should we take out the sign post, too?

No, we don't want to change our apolitical non-affiliation, so please just add us to the list of political organizations who signs must not change.

And, we do want to continue our support for your program. Please refund our application fee and refer to the middle section of the reverse of our previous application.

Just give her a double mouthful of goobledygook in return.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I just went and read thru all the goobly-gook for Washington and I can't find anything that would remove us from the program except for not submitting cleaning up reports 4x's a year. The last few times I went to do a clean up the Youth Corps was in there cleaning, so there was nothing for us to do.

Bill

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe someone should do an open records request for ALL the groups the DOT deigns to allow their signage to mention.

MKEgal

Just did an open records request via email...
This open records request (WI 19.31 et al.) is to obtain a list (preferably via email) of all organizations participating in the "Adopt a Highway" program in Wisconsin.
Please include their organization names and the names posted on the signs for their sections of highways.

If you cannot send it via email, please send paper copies to
[redacted]
So now we wait.
Hopefully there's a PDF or .doc that can be provided quickly & painlessly.
ETA: having more people requesting the same information would probably be a good thing.
Email doesn't cost anything, & they have to respond to nonresidents too.

Last edited:

eye95

Just did an open records request via email...

So now we wait.
Hopefully there's a PDF or .doc that can be provided quickly & painlessly.
ETA: having more people requesting the same information would probably be a good thing.
Email doesn't cost anything, & they have to respond to nonresidents too.

I have a feeling that it is lawsuit time.

MKEgal

eye95 said:
I have a feeling that it is lawsuit time.
If evidence (which must be provided by the gov't) shows that gov't employees have been discriminating (sort of like the IRS has) then yes, that should be a possibility.
I'm guessing WI Carry might be interested (or maybe John & Mike) if such evidence is... well... in evidence.
I doubt there will be any reply, even an email, until at least Mon. or Tues.

FreeInAZ

If evidence (which must be provided by the gov't) shows that gov't employees have been discriminating (sort of like the IRS has) then yes, that should be a possibility.
I'm guessing WI Carry might be interested (or maybe John & Mike) if such evidence is... well... in evidence.

Just a thought for future requests - I was told by a lawyer in MI who has won some high profile OC cases, to always send a certified written request (in addition to any electronic) requests. They (whoever in gov.) then cannot simply claim "we" never got it. It is a pain but it helps prevent delays/stalling on their part.

MKEgal

I'll give her a day or two to get back to me via email, then call.
If she's not willing to treat an email written request the same as a paper written request, I'm perfectly happy to write it up on paper & take it to her.
And they won't even have to mail any paper files (if that's necessary) - I'll drive out & pick them up.
Since there's nothing in my request connecting me to the OCDO group she's harassing, hopefully she'll be cooperative.

eye95

If there is a similarity to the IRS discrimination based upon political beliefs, do you think the media would show some interest in this action as an extension to the IRS story--that government, in general, is using its power against a specific class of political ideologies, particularly those grounded in a belief in individual Liberty as opposed to concentration of governmental power?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>