• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to MO

Jason Castillo

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I said I always ask the local PD's AFTER I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE LAWS. I NEVER call and ask them permission, or to understand the LAW. I call and ask to gauge their REACTION. I will FULLY agree with the fact that you should NEVER call and ask the local Pd's for permission or to seek legal advice. But IMO, I think it is wise to talk to an officer to see if they will be friendly, or not.

And I simply said what you read may or may not be accurate and quoted KNOWN examples of where it is not. I also clearly stated that when you call, you get ONE officers thoughts which all too often are OPINIONS not facts and the odds of THAT officer stopping you are almost nil, they are likely a dispatch or desk jockey.

you can call it "friendly or not" if you like, it is seeking permission in my opinion and since you are not talking to the beat cop who is going to respond, you have learned nothing about how an encounter may go.

The government does not grant rights, all it does is try and take them away. IMHO part of the reason they have made it so muni's can restrict is to discourage it across the state.

You are a free man, you may call them as you see fit, I am just saying it does no good what so ever to do so and will have no bearing on the outcome of an encounter.

mspgunner

And I simply said what you read may or may not be accurate and quoted KNOWN examples of where it is not. I also clearly stated that when you call, you get ONE officers thoughts which all too often are OPINIONS not facts and the odds of THAT officer stopping you are almost nil, they are likely a dispatch or desk jockey.

you can call it "friendly or not" if you like, it is seeking permission in my opinion and since you are not talking to the beat cop who is going to respond, you have learned nothing about how an encounter may go.

The government does not grant rights, all it does is try and take them away. IMHO part of the reason they have made it so muni's can restrict is to discourage it across the state.

You are a free man, you may call them as you see fit, I am just saying it does no good what so ever to do so and will have no bearing on the outcome of an encounter.

Exactly. There is no reason to call and talk to them........... It's like asking permission to walk down the street, their "opinon" is useless.........