• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns & Ammo - NSA Tracking Credit Card Puchases (PRISM) and Internet Activity

USNA69

If NSA is monotoring and tracking credit card purchases,
then I have resolved to pay cash for any future purchases of firearms or ammunition.

Further, I will no longer purchase any firearm-related items over the Internet.

With all that data available to the gummint, there is no real need for universal firearm registration ... they will already know what you have.

EMNofSeattle

that's why a gun registry is unneeded, if the FedGov really wanted to know if you owned a gun they'd just pull your internet history. Buying .223 ammo and AR-15 pictanny rails and accessories from Midway USA? bam they know you own an AR-15.....

post on pro-gun forums, they know what guns you own (or at least Claim to own) from your posts....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, come on. Who didn't know about this?

James Bamford wrote The Shadow Factory back in 2008, detailing among other things that internet hubs had special rooms where technicians had seen devices known to split a signal, sending a mirror image of the traffic somewhere else, while the data continued also on its normal route.

And, its been well publicized about a certain Not Safe Anymore agency building a giant facility in the middle of a Utah or Nevada desert.

Who didn't think all the hoovering wasn't occurring? And, who didn't think that giant facility wasn't storage for all the hoovered data?

Now, a buncha people want to act shocked its been occuring? Gimme a break.

Citizen's Maxim: All technology will always be abused by government. Every time.

Just think of a technology that emerged in the last thirty years, and take a few seconds to recall a government abuse. It will come to you.

Airport scanners. Drones. Tasers (deluxe cattle prods). Forward-looking infra-red (FLIR).

Last edited:

zack991

http://theweek.com/article/index/245311/sources-nsa-sucks-in-data-from-50-companies
NSA sucks in data from 50 companies
Analysts at the National Security Agency can now secretly access real-time user data provided by as many as 50 American companies, ranging from credit rating agencies to internet service providers, two government officials familiar with the arrangements said.

Several of the companies have provided records continuously since 2006, while others have given the agency sporadic access, these officials said. These officials disclosed the number of participating companies in order to provide context for a series of disclosures about the NSA's domestic collection policies. The officials, contacted independently, repeatedly said that "domestic collection" does not mean that the target is based in the U.S. or is a U.S. citizen; rather, it refers only to the origin of the data.

The Wall Street Journal reported today that U.S. credit card companies had also provided customer information. The officials would not disclose the names of the companies because, they said, doing so would provide U.S. enemies with a list of companies to avoid. They declined to confirm the list of participants in an internet monitoring program revealed by the Washington Post and the Guardian, but both confirmed that the program existed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324299104578529112289298922.html
WASHINGTON—The National Security Agency's monitoring of Americans includes customer records from the three major phone networks as well as emails and Web searches, and the agency also has cataloged credit-card transactions, said people familiar with the agency's activities. NSA also obtains access to data from Internet service providers on Internet use such as data about email or website visits, several former officials said. NSA has established similar relationships with credit-card companies, three former officials said.

It couldn't be determined if any of the Internet or credit-card arrangements are ongoing, as are the phone company efforts, or one-shot collection efforts. The credit-card firms, phone companies and NSA declined to comment for this article.

Last edited:

eye95

Thanks for the link.

Without more detail, what they are doing could range from the harmless to the nefarious.

I suspect the truth is that they have gone over the line with good, but unlawful, intentions.

Reporting these days sucks. Instead of using broad terms to describe the information collected, they should use specifics. If they are collecting aggregate data, that is between them and the phone companies. If they are only looking at the records of known terrorists outside the US, I don't care. If they are looking at data on individual citizens, other than calls to these known terrorists overseas, that are identifiable to an individual, without a warrant, then I have a problem.

Unfortunately, with the crappy reporting, it is impossible to determine what data they are collecting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Last edited: