Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC at Grand Rapids Festival

OC at Grand Rapids Festival

Anyone planning on attending Festival of the Arts and OCing?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Re: OC at Grand Rapids Festival

Does not one of the MI mods live near GR? Think he goes by shadowthingywithclaws or something like that.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-07-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Looks like you burned all your bridges Chuck.
    Last edited by casper; 06-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    What you talk'n bout Willis?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Disagreement with others is not "burned bridges". What tends to "burn bridges" is idiotic behavior, especially done while Open Carrying. Casper, be very careful with unfounded aspersions.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Disagreement with others is not "burned bridges". What tends to "burn bridges" is idiotic behavior, especially done while Open Carrying. Casper, be very careful with unfounded aspersions.
    Idiotic behavior while open carrying ? What are you trying to say ? Be careful not to slander someone. Be very careful with unfounded aspersions also.
    Last edited by casper; 06-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Idiotic behavior while open carrying ?
    Are you saying that no "idiotic behavior" is possible while OC? I would say there are many behaviors one could list as idiotic... drawing your weapon at an OC event would just about guarantee that a person is shunned. Another might be acting belligerent. If one's behavior show a lack of concern for the safety of others present, I can guarantee you "bridges" will be "burned".
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Deliberate or not, it looks to be aimed at me. If not I'm sorry.

Deliberate or not, it looks to be aimed at me. If not I'm sorry.
    My statement "to be careful" was in reference to you saying another member had burned bridges. My response to you is the same as it would be to anyone who says this about another member... UNLESS they had done something I listed to warrant such a comment.

I have no reason to believe that you have acted in such a way as to endanger others. You have taken a statement which was being applied generally to others who are no longer present on OCDO and applied it to yourself.

Looks like I missed something ...and am probably better off for it. . Now back to the topic is anyone going to go to this event in GR? I sure hope so? Those amway folks need to start selling firearms products, then I'm sure GR officials would be all for OC.

If you feel any better, I missed something too.

FreeInAZ is absolutely correct about West Michigan politics. The problem is they hold campaign money over the heads of R legislators in Lansing, too. If you don't follow the script, expect to get defeated next election.

Wife and I had a good time at Festival today, ran into friends, was good. The men in blue and one lady were out in force.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Did you have any confrontations ?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Wife and I had a good time at Festival today, ran into friends, was good. The men in blue and one lady were out in force.
    Did you have any confrontations ?

As usual the answer is provided for you...we aim to please here at OCDO. Anything else... tire rotation...lawn mowed...roof re-shingled..???

I could use my lawn mowed, thanks for offering.

I could use my lawn mowed, thanks for offering.
    Well because of the distance I'll have to send a drone... napalm does wonders on the crab grass...just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well because of the distance I'll have to send a drone... napalm does wonders on the crab grass...just kidding.
    You probably don't even remember what mowing a lawn means. Do they even have lawns in AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Does not one of the MI mods live near GR? Think he goes by shadowthingywithclaws or something like that.
    I'd rather have a root canal than go into downtown. Only thing that gets me down there is court business, which is just as bad as a root canal....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I'd rather have a root canal than go into downtown. Only thing that gets me down there is court business, which is just as bad as a root canal....
    Festival is a good time and would be a good opportunity to have a group of open carry folks be noticed and possibly change a few opinions, which as I recall is at least part of the mission of a Michigan gun org

"To educate and desensitize the public and members of the law enforcement community about the legality of the open carry of a handgun in public."

open carry lunches work and touch a group who happen to be at the restaurant, Festival on the other hand has thousands in attendance.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

I'd have to agree. Just not down town GR.
    Last edited by casper; 06-09-2013 at 03:10 PM.

I think what casper is referring to is that Raggs may have alienated many people in the local OC community with various behaviors he's done both to them and other in the OC community.

But I'm just guesing. It's casper's post....
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I think what casper is referring to is that Raggs may have alienated many people in the local OC community with various behaviors he's done both to them and other in the OC community.

But I'm just guesing. It's casper's post....
    You are correct Sir.

So, did anyone go, or just ask about who else was going?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

You probably don't even remember what mowing a lawn means. Do they even have lawns in AZ?
    Well sort of ... but they are rare most people just go with the "rock yard". I went from cutting 6 acres with a john deere to a 20' x 20' "landscape feature lawn" with a reel mower. The ridiculous part is that tiny patch of grass has it's own underground computerized sprinkler system....talk about over kill. Today the projected high temp is 110°, they say it's a dry heat & judging from the sun bleached animals bones I see from time to time I won't argue. Summer here is like winter there, most sane people stay inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast