Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Arriving Soon

  1. #1
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740

    Arriving Soon

    I'm moving to the Seattle area from Dallas, and will arrive in just over a week. What things ought I do to make sure I have the fewest obstacles to carrying? I want to get a CPL as quickly as feasible, because while I don't need it for OC, I do need it to have a loaded gun in the car, and having to have an unloaded gun while in the car makes OC at least a little more challenging. So I'll be applying for a driver's license as soon as I have a permanent address, so I can apply for an in-state CPL, to benefit from the shorter turn-around. Is there anything else I should start preparing for, or at least be aware of?

  2. #2
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884
    Get a taste for Starbucks, rain, pretentious Indie music, Orca art everywhere, chubby hairy chics, rain, fantastic micro brew selections, boating, horrible traffic, slow drivers, and rain.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Get a taste for Starbucks, rain, pretentious Indie music, Orca art everywhere, chubby hairy chics, rain, fantastic micro brew selections, boating, horrible traffic, slow drivers, and rain.
    That pretty much covers it except for making certain to never carve on a wooden figure in Seattle.

  4. #4
    Regular Member 1911er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard Wa. /Granite Oklahoma
    Posts
    836

    Smile

    And don't Roget the rain
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

    DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

    All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bremerton/Ellensburg
    Posts
    50
    It can start off as a hassle when transporting your firearm (Loading and unloading) without a CPL, but after awhile you'll get used to it before you receive your WA CPL license. When I didn't have my CPL yet, I would just keep a loaded magazine close by. There is no actual law stating that ammunition has to be locked in a separate compartment, just as long as the magazine is not inserted into the firearm. But YMMV and other people on OCDO will also have their thoughts and opinions. Cheers and welcome to WARSHINGTON!

  6. #6
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Welcome to the land of OC!

    As soon as you arrive here go to the sheriff and apply for your CPL, no need to wait.
    Kitsap co sheriff in Silverdale has a reputation of issing on the spot!
    Resident and non resident permits are the same/same, use your DL address.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  7. #7
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Yes, you can apply as a non-resident at any sheriff's office, and Kitsap is the best in the Seattle "area". King county/Seattle not so quick.

    Anyway, be sure you read RCW 9.41.XXX. Read the whole chapter but pay particular attention to .050, .060 (especially (8)), .270. -.300, and welcome to OCDO.

    For your ease of access: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9.41

  8. #8
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    That pretty much covers it except for making certain to never carve on a wooden figure in Seattle.
    haha, how could I forget that. Yeah, try not to get Birked.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

  9. #9
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    I realize I can apply right away as a non-resident, but statutorily it can take twice as long. Is Kitsap so fast, even for non-resident, that there's no real benefit to establishing residency first? I'd also be concerned about the extra time consumed by them sending the CPL to my then-invalid Texas address and waiting for the post office to forward it to my Washington address. Sounds like maybe the best thing to do is just get the Washington residency (up to 7 days) and then go to Kitsap for a resident CPL. Overall time seems like just a few weeks, unless Kitsap will literally hand over the license as I'm standing there. Is that the case?

    Also, thanks for the direct link, hermannr.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Tacitus42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tacoma,Wa
    Posts
    189
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....hat-much-rain/

    Seattle does not get that much rain.
    Last edited by Tacitus42; 06-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

  11. #11
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42 View Post
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....hat-much-rain/

    Seattle does not get that much rain.
    Yeah, I know. Pretty much everyone I know here has been tripping over themselves to warn me about the rain, in response to which I patiently inform them that Dallas gets more total annual precipitation than Seattle does. Everyone wants to have something "knowing" to say, even if they're ignorant.

  12. #12
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Yeah, I know. Pretty much everyone I know here has been tripping over themselves to warn me about the rain, in response to which I patiently inform them that Dallas gets more total annual precipitation than Seattle does. Everyone wants to have something "knowing" to say, even if they're ignorant.
    And of course, if you do not like rain, you can always move over here by me in Okanogan County, We have had 4" of moisture so far this YEAR. (Fire season will come early this year) Oh, if you do decide to come over to this side, be sure you bring a job and a wife, you will find neither here,

  13. #13
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Arriving Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Yeah, I know. Pretty much everyone I know here has been tripping over themselves to warn me about the rain, in response to which I patiently inform them that Dallas gets more total annual precipitation than Seattle does. Everyone wants to have something "knowing" to say, even if they're ignorant.
    It's not that we get so much rain but a little rain on so many days. The thing I get annoyed with is that the rain can never make up its mind. While driving be prepared to change your wiper setting every 10 seconds or so as it will go from pouring to nothing to just a drizzle and back to nothing then pouring then a drizzle. Basically it's just as annoying as my previous sentence.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  14. #14
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    I realize I can apply right away as a non-resident, but statutorily it can take twice as long. Is Kitsap so fast, even for non-resident, that there's no real benefit to establishing residency first? I'd also be concerned about the extra time consumed by them sending the CPL to my then-invalid Texas address and waiting for the post office to forward it to my Washington address. Sounds like maybe the best thing to do is just get the Washington residency (up to 7 days) and then go to Kitsap for a resident CPL. Overall time seems like just a few weeks, unless Kitsap will literally hand over the license as I'm standing there. Is that the case?

    Also, thanks for the direct link, hermannr.


    I don't know about non-residents, but every resident I know of who's applied at Kitsap County has recieved their license very quickly, usually within 7 business days... Sheriff Boyer is a Washington State Patrol retiree who supports concealed carry, his office tends to clear them quickly, other police agencies in other parts of the state tend to drag their feet the full 30 days.

    even with the forwarding, depending on what county you reside in, a kitsap license may still be quicker. I would be surprised if Kitsap Sheriff drug their feet the whole 60 days before sending a license, they usually tend to issue it as soon as your fingerprints clear.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  15. #15
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Welcome! We will be glad to have you! No it doesn't rain here that much (volume wise) but we have a great many days of grey skies and a constant drip, drip, drip - like we have a never ending runny nose. Though the last couple of weeks have been very pleasant.

    What part of Seattle will you be moving to? South Sound, Eastside, North Sound? We have meets 2-3 times a month in various parts of the Seattle area - welcome to the Evergreen State!

  16. #16
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    Welcome! We will be glad to have you! No it doesn't rain here that much (volume wise) but we have a great many days of grey skies and a constant drip, drip, drip - like we have a never ending runny nose. Though the last couple of weeks have been very pleasant.

    What part of Seattle will you be moving to? South Sound, Eastside, North Sound? We have meets 2-3 times a month in various parts of the Seattle area - welcome to the Evergreen State!
    Thanks, AC. We're not sure where we'll be living yet. I'm driving up without a permanent address, and with potentially only three days to find a rental unit and sign a lease. We're making appointments ahead of time, though, and I know there are units available. I think we're leaning toward the Edmonds area for our short-term rental. We're going to wait 6-12 months to buy, so we can get familiar with the area before we settle. My wife has started her search for a middle school math teaching job, and my guess is we'll buy in or near whichever district she accepts a job with. My job will afford me some amount of control over where I commute to each day, so I'm really only interested in minimizing my wife's commute.

    If anyone has connections to any middle school principals, I'd be grateful for a put-in-touch with my wife.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    First of all welcome to Washington we are glad to have you.

    Some bad news you need to be a resident of Washington for 90 consecutive days before you can apply for a CPL.

    Unless you are a resident of Kitsap county you can not apply for your CPL there, you must apply in the county or city that you reside in unless you are not a resident of Washington. Non residents may apply anywhere.

    Read RCW 9.41.070 and the rest of RCW 9.41.xxx, read the FAQs in the stickies, ask all the questions you can think of after reading the laws and the FAQs.

    Before you get you CPL you can simple insert a magazine as you exit your car and eject it as you enter the car providing you never chamber a round. Open carrying a firearm without a round chambered is not ideal but that is the safest legal way until you receive your CPL. Keep in mind that is unlawful to place a loaded firearm in a vehicle if you get in the vehicle and then unload you are breaking the law.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I don't know about non-residents, but every resident I know of who's applied at Kitsap County has recieved their license very quickly, usually within 7 business days... Sheriff Boyer is a Washington State Patrol retiree who supports concealed carry, his office tends to clear them quickly, other police agencies in other parts of the state tend to drag their feet the full 30 days.

    even with the forwarding, depending on what county you reside in, a kitsap license may still be quicker. I would be surprised if Kitsap Sheriff drug their feet the whole 60 days before sending a license, they usually tend to issue it as soon as your fingerprints clear.
    I realize that you live in Kitsap County and what you are saying is true of residents of Kitsap County. Applying for a non resident CPL when you have officially moved to Washington is unlawful and that is strictly against forum rules. You would have to lie to get a non resident CPL after you have moved to Washington and that Sir is fraud, please refrain from giving advice that is unlawful in the future.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  19. #19
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    I realize that you live in Kitsap County and what you are saying is true of residents of Kitsap County. Applying for a non resident CPL when you have officially moved to Washington is unlawful and that is strictly against forum rules. You would have to lie to get a non resident CPL after you have moved to Washington and that Sir is fraud, please refrain from giving advice that is unlawful in the future.
    It's not fraud if you apply in advance, recieve it, and then change your address. Until you've squired property or a domicile in Washington you're not a resident. The state won't issue you a driver license, your kids won't qualify for in state tuition, you won't be able to register to vote. Etc etc etc. he just stated he has no residential address, or domicile, meaning the state doesn't consider him a resident. Apply for a non resident license, when he signs a lease he has 30 days to acquire a Washington DL, when he acquires the DL then return to the sheriff and submit a form to replace the cpl due to change of address. There is no fraud in that.....if the state does not yet consider you a resident you would be committing fraud by telling them you are.....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  20. #20
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Thanks, AC. We're not sure where we'll be living yet. I'm driving up without a permanent address, and with potentially only three days to find a rental unit and sign a lease. We're making appointments ahead of time, though, and I know there are units available. I think we're leaning toward the Edmonds area for our short-term rental. We're going to wait 6-12 months to buy, so we can get familiar with the area before we settle. My wife has started her search for a middle school math teaching job, and my guess is we'll buy in or near whichever district she accepts a job with. My job will afford me some amount of control over where I commute to each day, so I'm really only interested in minimizing my wife's commute.

    If anyone has connections to any middle school principals, I'd be grateful for a put-in-touch with my wife.
    If you're willing to do the ferry commute then Kingston may be a good spot to go. They have much lower ret and property taxes then Edmonds, and a ferry is there that will drop you off at Edmonds after a 30 minute sailing. Look to Issaquah or Snohomish county for teaching jobs, they got rapid growth meaning good property taxes.... Meaning more likely the school is being funded and layoffs aren't imminent
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    It's not fraud if you apply in advance, recieve it, and then change your address. Until you've squired property or a domicile in Washington you're not a resident. The state won't issue you a driver license, your kids won't qualify for in state tuition, you won't be able to register to vote. Etc etc etc. he just stated he has no residential address, or domicile, meaning the state doesn't consider him a resident. Apply for a non resident license, when he signs a lease he has 30 days to acquire a Washington DL, when he acquires the DL then return to the sheriff and submit a form to replace the cpl due to change of address. There is no fraud in that.....if the state does not yet consider you a resident you would be committing fraud by telling them you are.....
    He stated he would no longer a resident of Texas so where is he going to tell them he is a resident of? Once again you only look at part of the problem.

    I am curious as to why you would encourage someone who you know will no longer be a legal resident of Texas to tell the State of Washington they are?

    Why not simply inform ()pen (arry of the legal proper way to get his CPL.

    The fact that you feel it is OK, actually encourage someone, to attempt to circumvent the law and lying to do so says volumes about your character or lack there of.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  22. #22
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    He stated he would no longer a resident of Texas so where is he going to tell them he is a resident of? Once again you only look at part of the problem.

    I am curious as to why you would encourage someone who you know will no longer be a legal resident of Texas to tell the State of Washington they are?

    Why not simply inform ()pen (arry of the legal proper way to get his CPL.

    The fact that you feel it is OK, actually encourage someone, to attempt to circumvent the law and lying to do so says volumes about your character or lack there of.
    Give the personal insults a rest.

    All I did was truthfully state ifs you're not a resident yet of Washington apply for a non resident license. That's it. You're not a resident until you're in the state on more then a temporary or transient basis. The state uses owning real property or having a personal residence. There is no time limit, once you have a drivers license you're a resident. So why did you tell him he had to wait 90 days to apply for a cpl? That's not in the law.....

    If you feel there is a problem with that then great, but don't come accusing me of encouraging other people to commit fraud when that's not what I said. Why don't you go off on 1245A defender, he's the one who actually said go apply at kitsap county........ I only said they issue quicker and with mail forwarding it would take less time then king county....... But I see nothing wrong with applying as a non resident when you're not a resident. And as long as he holds a TX drivers license and has no permanent connection to WA then both and WA and TX consider him a resident of TX...... This is legal by the book. There is no moral imperative when applying for government licenses, especially when you're telling the truth as the government chose to define it...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  23. #23
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    But just to end this silly argument,

    ()pen (arry, welcome to Washington. Find a place o live and sign a lease. Then you may recieve a WA drivers license, once you have a WA drivers license apply at the sheriff of the county your address at the license is in. You may also opt to apply at the city police department or the county sheriff if you live inside the limits of a city. When you move there is no requirement to change the address on your CPL but you may voluntarily change it by paying a replacement fee. This is the resident path of obtaining a CPL.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Give the personal insults a rest.

    <snip>
    I did not see one personal insult.

    One of the rules of the ocdo forum is to:
    • (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

    Jeff is trying to make that point.
    Live Free or Die!

  25. #25
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I did not see one personal insult.

    One of the rules of the ocdo forum is to:
    • (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

    Jeff is trying to make that point.
    And after another member, who Jeff never jumped in to chastise, suggested a non res I looked at the applicable laws and believed it was perfectly legal. And after I explain that he says "well it speaks volumes about your character" what the hell is that other then a personal insult? Never usually taken that as a compliment before....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •