• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arriving Soon

()pen(arry

I'm moving to the Seattle area from Dallas, and will arrive in just over a week. What things ought I do to make sure I have the fewest obstacles to carrying? I want to get a CPL as quickly as feasible, because while I don't need it for OC, I do need it to have a loaded gun in the car, and having to have an unloaded gun while in the car makes OC at least a little more challenging. So I'll be applying for a driver's license as soon as I have a permanent address, so I can apply for an in-state CPL, to benefit from the shorter turn-around. Is there anything else I should start preparing for, or at least be aware of?

gsx1138

Get a taste for Starbucks, rain, pretentious Indie music, Orca art everywhere, chubby hairy chics, rain, fantastic micro brew selections, boating, horrible traffic, slow drivers, and rain.

Trigger Dr

Get a taste for Starbucks, rain, pretentious Indie music, Orca art everywhere, chubby hairy chics, rain, fantastic micro brew selections, boating, horrible traffic, slow drivers, and rain.

That pretty much covers it except for making certain to never carve on a wooden figure in Seattle.

XDNick9

It can start off as a hassle when transporting your firearm (Loading and unloading) without a CPL, but after awhile you'll get used to it before you receive your WA CPL license. When I didn't have my CPL yet, I would just keep a loaded magazine close by. There is no actual law stating that ammunition has to be locked in a separate compartment, just as long as the magazine is not inserted into the firearm. But YMMV and other people on OCDO will also have their thoughts and opinions. Cheers and welcome to WARSHINGTON!

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Welcome to the land of OC!

As soon as you arrive here go to the sheriff and apply for your CPL, no need to wait.
Kitsap co sheriff in Silverdale has a reputation of issing on the spot!
Resident and non resident permits are the same/same, use your DL address.

hermannr

Yes, you can apply as a non-resident at any sheriff's office, and Kitsap is the best in the Seattle "area". King county/Seattle not so quick.

Anyway, be sure you read RCW 9.41.XXX. Read the whole chapter but pay particular attention to .050, .060 (especially (8)), .270. -.300, and welcome to OCDO.

For your ease of access: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9.41

()pen(arry

I realize I can apply right away as a non-resident, but statutorily it can take twice as long. Is Kitsap so fast, even for non-resident, that there's no real benefit to establishing residency first? I'd also be concerned about the extra time consumed by them sending the CPL to my then-invalid Texas address and waiting for the post office to forward it to my Washington address. Sounds like maybe the best thing to do is just get the Washington residency (up to 7 days) and then go to Kitsap for a resident CPL. Overall time seems like just a few weeks, unless Kitsap will literally hand over the license as I'm standing there. Is that the case?

Also, thanks for the direct link, hermannr.

()pen(arry

hermannr

Yeah, I know. Pretty much everyone I know here has been tripping over themselves to warn me about the rain, in response to which I patiently inform them that Dallas gets more total annual precipitation than Seattle does. Everyone wants to have something "knowing" to say, even if they're ignorant.

And of course, if you do not like rain, you can always move over here by me in Okanogan County, We have had 4" of moisture so far this YEAR. (Fire season will come early this year) Oh, if you do decide to come over to this side, be sure you bring a job and a wife, you will find neither here,

tombrewster421

Yeah, I know. Pretty much everyone I know here has been tripping over themselves to warn me about the rain, in response to which I patiently inform them that Dallas gets more total annual precipitation than Seattle does. Everyone wants to have something "knowing" to say, even if they're ignorant.

It's not that we get so much rain but a little rain on so many days. The thing I get annoyed with is that the rain can never make up its mind. While driving be prepared to change your wiper setting every 10 seconds or so as it will go from pouring to nothing to just a drizzle and back to nothing then pouring then a drizzle. Basically it's just as annoying as my previous sentence.

EMNofSeattle

I realize I can apply right away as a non-resident, but statutorily it can take twice as long. Is Kitsap so fast, even for non-resident, that there's no real benefit to establishing residency first? I'd also be concerned about the extra time consumed by them sending the CPL to my then-invalid Texas address and waiting for the post office to forward it to my Washington address. Sounds like maybe the best thing to do is just get the Washington residency (up to 7 days) and then go to Kitsap for a resident CPL. Overall time seems like just a few weeks, unless Kitsap will literally hand over the license as I'm standing there. Is that the case?

Also, thanks for the direct link, hermannr.

I don't know about non-residents, but every resident I know of who's applied at Kitsap County has recieved their license very quickly, usually within 7 business days... Sheriff Boyer is a Washington State Patrol retiree who supports concealed carry, his office tends to clear them quickly, other police agencies in other parts of the state tend to drag their feet the full 30 days.

even with the forwarding, depending on what county you reside in, a kitsap license may still be quicker. I would be surprised if Kitsap Sheriff drug their feet the whole 60 days before sending a license, they usually tend to issue it as soon as your fingerprints clear.

acmariner99

Welcome! We will be glad to have you! No it doesn't rain here that much (volume wise) but we have a great many days of grey skies and a constant drip, drip, drip - like we have a never ending runny nose. Though the last couple of weeks have been very pleasant.

What part of Seattle will you be moving to? South Sound, Eastside, North Sound? We have meets 2-3 times a month in various parts of the Seattle area - welcome to the Evergreen State!

()pen(arry

Welcome! We will be glad to have you! No it doesn't rain here that much (volume wise) but we have a great many days of grey skies and a constant drip, drip, drip - like we have a never ending runny nose. Though the last couple of weeks have been very pleasant.

What part of Seattle will you be moving to? South Sound, Eastside, North Sound? We have meets 2-3 times a month in various parts of the Seattle area - welcome to the Evergreen State!

Thanks, AC. We're not sure where we'll be living yet. I'm driving up without a permanent address, and with potentially only three days to find a rental unit and sign a lease. We're making appointments ahead of time, though, and I know there are units available. I think we're leaning toward the Edmonds area for our short-term rental. We're going to wait 6-12 months to buy, so we can get familiar with the area before we settle. My wife has started her search for a middle school math teaching job, and my guess is we'll buy in or near whichever district she accepts a job with. My job will afford me some amount of control over where I commute to each day, so I'm really only interested in minimizing my wife's commute.

If anyone has connections to any middle school principals, I'd be grateful for a put-in-touch with my wife.

Jeff Hayes

First of all welcome to Washington we are glad to have you.

Some bad news you need to be a resident of Washington for 90 consecutive days before you can apply for a CPL.

Unless you are a resident of Kitsap county you can not apply for your CPL there, you must apply in the county or city that you reside in unless you are not a resident of Washington. Non residents may apply anywhere.

Read RCW 9.41.070 and the rest of RCW 9.41.xxx, read the FAQs in the stickies, ask all the questions you can think of after reading the laws and the FAQs.

Before you get you CPL you can simple insert a magazine as you exit your car and eject it as you enter the car providing you never chamber a round. Open carrying a firearm without a round chambered is not ideal but that is the safest legal way until you receive your CPL. Keep in mind that is unlawful to place a loaded firearm in a vehicle if you get in the vehicle and then unload you are breaking the law.

Jeff Hayes

I don't know about non-residents, but every resident I know of who's applied at Kitsap County has recieved their license very quickly, usually within 7 business days... Sheriff Boyer is a Washington State Patrol retiree who supports concealed carry, his office tends to clear them quickly, other police agencies in other parts of the state tend to drag their feet the full 30 days.

even with the forwarding, depending on what county you reside in, a kitsap license may still be quicker. I would be surprised if Kitsap Sheriff drug their feet the whole 60 days before sending a license, they usually tend to issue it as soon as your fingerprints clear.

I realize that you live in Kitsap County and what you are saying is true of residents of Kitsap County. Applying for a non resident CPL when you have officially moved to Washington is unlawful and that is strictly against forum rules. You would have to lie to get a non resident CPL after you have moved to Washington and that Sir is fraud, please refrain from giving advice that is unlawful in the future.

EMNofSeattle

I realize that you live in Kitsap County and what you are saying is true of residents of Kitsap County. Applying for a non resident CPL when you have officially moved to Washington is unlawful and that is strictly against forum rules. You would have to lie to get a non resident CPL after you have moved to Washington and that Sir is fraud, please refrain from giving advice that is unlawful in the future.

It's not fraud if you apply in advance, recieve it, and then change your address. Until you've squired property or a domicile in Washington you're not a resident. The state won't issue you a driver license, your kids won't qualify for in state tuition, you won't be able to register to vote. Etc etc etc. he just stated he has no residential address, or domicile, meaning the state doesn't consider him a resident. Apply for a non resident license, when he signs a lease he has 30 days to acquire a Washington DL, when he acquires the DL then return to the sheriff and submit a form to replace the cpl due to change of address. There is no fraud in that.....if the state does not yet consider you a resident you would be committing fraud by telling them you are.....

EMNofSeattle

Thanks, AC. We're not sure where we'll be living yet. I'm driving up without a permanent address, and with potentially only three days to find a rental unit and sign a lease. We're making appointments ahead of time, though, and I know there are units available. I think we're leaning toward the Edmonds area for our short-term rental. We're going to wait 6-12 months to buy, so we can get familiar with the area before we settle. My wife has started her search for a middle school math teaching job, and my guess is we'll buy in or near whichever district she accepts a job with. My job will afford me some amount of control over where I commute to each day, so I'm really only interested in minimizing my wife's commute.

If anyone has connections to any middle school principals, I'd be grateful for a put-in-touch with my wife.

If you're willing to do the ferry commute then Kingston may be a good spot to go. They have much lower ret and property taxes then Edmonds, and a ferry is there that will drop you off at Edmonds after a 30 minute sailing. Look to Issaquah or Snohomish county for teaching jobs, they got rapid growth meaning good property taxes.... Meaning more likely the school is being funded and layoffs aren't imminent