• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arriving Soon

Jeff Hayes

It's not fraud if you apply in advance, recieve it, and then change your address. Until you've squired property or a domicile in Washington you're not a resident. The state won't issue you a driver license, your kids won't qualify for in state tuition, you won't be able to register to vote. Etc etc etc. he just stated he has no residential address, or domicile, meaning the state doesn't consider him a resident. Apply for a non resident license, when he signs a lease he has 30 days to acquire a Washington DL, when he acquires the DL then return to the sheriff and submit a form to replace the cpl due to change of address. There is no fraud in that.....if the state does not yet consider you a resident you would be committing fraud by telling them you are.....

He stated he would no longer a resident of Texas so where is he going to tell them he is a resident of? Once again you only look at part of the problem.

I am curious as to why you would encourage someone who you know will no longer be a legal resident of Texas to tell the State of Washington they are?

Why not simply inform ()pen (arry of the legal proper way to get his CPL.

The fact that you feel it is OK, actually encourage someone, to attempt to circumvent the law and lying to do so says volumes about your character or lack there of.

EMNofSeattle

He stated he would no longer a resident of Texas so where is he going to tell them he is a resident of? Once again you only look at part of the problem.

I am curious as to why you would encourage someone who you know will no longer be a legal resident of Texas to tell the State of Washington they are?

Why not simply inform ()pen (arry of the legal proper way to get his CPL.

The fact that you feel it is OK, actually encourage someone, to attempt to circumvent the law and lying to do so says volumes about your character or lack there of.

Give the personal insults a rest.

All I did was truthfully state ifs you're not a resident yet of Washington apply for a non resident license. That's it. You're not a resident until you're in the state on more then a temporary or transient basis. The state uses owning real property or having a personal residence. There is no time limit, once you have a drivers license you're a resident. So why did you tell him he had to wait 90 days to apply for a cpl? That's not in the law.....

If you feel there is a problem with that then great, but don't come accusing me of encouraging other people to commit fraud when that's not what I said. Why don't you go off on 1245A defender, he's the one who actually said go apply at kitsap county........ I only said they issue quicker and with mail forwarding it would take less time then king county....... But I see nothing wrong with applying as a non resident when you're not a resident. And as long as he holds a TX drivers license and has no permanent connection to WA then both and WA and TX consider him a resident of TX...... This is legal by the book. There is no moral imperative when applying for government licenses, especially when you're telling the truth as the government chose to define it...

EMNofSeattle

But just to end this silly argument,

()pen (arry, welcome to Washington. Find a place o live and sign a lease. Then you may recieve a WA drivers license, once you have a WA drivers license apply at the sheriff of the county your address at the license is in. You may also opt to apply at the city police department or the county sheriff if you live inside the limits of a city. When you move there is no requirement to change the address on your CPL but you may voluntarily change it by paying a replacement fee. This is the resident path of obtaining a CPL.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Give the personal insults a rest.

<snip>

I did not see one personal insult.

One of the rules of the ocdo forum is to:
  • (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
Jeff is trying to make that point.

EMNofSeattle

I did not see one personal insult.

One of the rules of the ocdo forum is to:
  • (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
Jeff is trying to make that point.

And after another member, who Jeff never jumped in to chastise, suggested a non res I looked at the applicable laws and believed it was perfectly legal. And after I explain that he says "well it speaks volumes about your character" what the hell is that other then a personal insult? Never usually taken that as a compliment before....

()pen(arry

First of all welcome to Washington we are glad to have you.

Thanks!

Some bad news you need to be a resident of Washington for 90 consecutive days before you can apply for a CPL.

I reread .070 and I now see that, for purposes of CPL issue time-frame, residents of less than 90 days are lumped in with non-residents, so I think a much more accurate way to say what you meant would be, "You need to be a resident of Washington for the preceding 90 consecutive days in order to avoid the longer, 'non-resident' issue window." There's certainly no effect on application, itself.

Unless you are a resident of Kitsap county you can not apply for your CPL there, you must apply in the county or city that you reside in unless you are not a resident of Washington. Non residents may apply anywhere.

Interestingly, if I get a Washington state driver's license, I will be considered a resident of Washington state, and get the worst situation for CPL issue, which is that I have to apply where I live, but wait up to 60 days. It looks like my best bet for the shortest worst-case wait is to apply in Kitsap as soon as I get there (before I apply for a driver's license), and just have them send the license to my Dallas address and wait for the Post Office to reroute it. Nothing government does is done well...

Before you get you CPL you can simple insert a magazine as you exit your car and eject it as you enter the car providing you never chamber a round. Open carrying a firearm without a round chambered is not ideal but that is the safest legal way until you receive your CPL. Keep in mind that is unlawful to place a loaded firearm in a vehicle if you get in the vehicle and then unload you are breaking the law.

I wonder what would happen if I got out of a car, inserted a magazine, drew enough to rack the slide, and re-holstered, all with a cop watching. Actually, I can presume what would happen, or at least what would be likely enough to happen that I would want to make sure I chambered out of sight.

EMNofSeattle

Thanks!

I reread .070 and I now see that, for purposes of CPL issue time-frame, residents of less than 90 days are lumped in with non-residents, so I think a much more accurate way to say what you meant would be, "You need to be a resident of Washington for the preceding 90 consecutive days in order to avoid the longer, 'non-resident' issue window." There's certainly no effect on application, itself.

However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

The way I read this once you have a DL you're golden. all you need for is a Washington address.... if you bring your TX DL and a signed lease agreement with your name and address you're get a DL and can apply for a CPL as a resident.

While I believe you're violating no laws by doing so, I'm not a lawyer, so as much as I hate to say it, I think you should take Jeff Haye's advice looking at it again. the appearance of impropriety can at least get you investigated which is never fun. not to mention if you do end up residing in kitsap, the Sheriff is very 2A friendly, but the DA here is not.... it seems you can get your DL the day you sign your lease and then be considered a resident... that's a better option...........

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Wow!!!

What a crapload of shilt in this thread!!!!

When opencarry comes to washingon state,
To look for a place to live,
A place to work,
the weather...

He is a Non resident......
A Non resident can apply for a washington CPL ANYWHERE!!!!
Silverdale is the goto place...

No law,,, nor any evasion of law is going on,,, nor is lawlessness being promoted..

a non res permit takes 60days max... yea for King county....
time to become a res, getting the DR lic, then applying for a res permit then 30days... How many days is that?
sending the permit, then getting it back from texas,,, who knows?

BTW It doesnt matter the address on your permit,, texas or washington,, it is still same/same,, it is your permit!!!

rapgood

Thanks!

Correct.

The way I read this once you have a DL you're golden. all you need for is a Washington address.... if you bring your TX DL and a signed lease agreement with your name and address you're get a DL and can apply for a CPL as a resident.

While I believe you're violating no laws by doing so, I'm not a lawyer, so as much as I hate to say it, I think you should take Jeff Haye's advice looking at it again. the appearance of impropriety can at least get you investigated which is never fun. not to mention if you do end up residing in kitsap, the Sheriff is very 2A friendly, but the DA here is not.... it seems you can get your DL the day you sign your lease and then be considered a resident... that's a better option...........
Not golden. Not for purposes of the .070 statute. RCW 9.41.070 reads, in relevant part,

"(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours." (Emphasis added).

I think it is pretty clear that, regardless of whether he applies for a WDL on day 1 or day 61, the OP must nevertheless be a resident for 90 days before the CPL can issue.

EMNofSeattle

Correct.

Not golden. Not for purposes of the .070 statute. RCW 9.41.070 reads, in relevant part,

"(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours." (Emphasis added).

I think it is pretty clear that, regardless of whether he applies for a WDL on day 1 or day 61, the OP must nevertheless be a resident for 90 days before the CPL can issue.

ah... Ok I see it now....

I was confused a little by the "or" in the law.... but looking at it again I understand it....

Trigger Dr

()pen(arry, I would suggest going to the agency you prefer, advise them that you are planning to move to Wa in the near future, and wish to obtain a Wa CPL. Then be guided by their answer.

Jeff Hayes

()pen(arry, I would suggest going to the agency you prefer, advise them that you are planning to move to Wa in the near future, and wish to obtain a Wa CPL. Then be guided by their answer.

Now that is the best advice I have seen so far.

When and if you do this I would be interested in the answer you get.

When I moved to WA Spokane County refused to allow me to apply until I had had my DL for 90 days, I applied on the 90th day BTW and had my CPL in about a week.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

What a crapload of shilt in this thread!!!!

When opencarry comes to washingon state,
To look for a place to live,
A place to work,
the weather...

He is a Non resident......
A Non resident can apply for a washington CPL ANYWHERE!!!!
Silverdale is the goto place...

No law,,, nor any evasion of law is going on,,, nor is lawlessness being promoted..

a non res permit takes 60days max... yea for King county....
time to become a res, getting the DR lic, then applying for a res permit then 30days... How many days is that?
sending the permit, then getting it back from texas,,, who knows?

BTW It doesnt matter the address on your permit,, texas or washington,, it is still same/same,, it is your permit!!!

If you are no longer a resident of Texas and you tell the State of Washington you are in order to get a non resident CPL that would be unlawful, that is what ENM is suggesting.

It does matter what address you give them, if you no longer live at that address in Texas and you give the State of Washington that address as your residence you have lied on the CPL application. If ()pen (carry is here looking for a domicile or employment a week before he moves that is a different story. ()pen (arry indicated that he would no longer be a resident of Texas when he applied for his CPL.

Think about this ()pen (arry applies in Kitsap County as a non resident after he has moved out of Texas at his old Texas address and gets his CPL then God forbid he gets into an altercation and actually has to defend himself and shoot someone. Say as far as self defense goes he did every thing correctly but his CPL is not valid because he lied on the application then what??????? A good prosecutor would find the lie and every thing you said after that would be questioned because you lied on the CPL application. This is serious business carrying a firearm for self defense and you had better be correct in your action and statements if you end up in court fighting for your freedom. The deck is already stacked against us why add to the pile if you do not have to.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone going down and applying for a CPL with an out of state DL and asking for a non resident CPL as Trigger Dr has suggested just do not tell them you are a resident of Texas when you are not.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Correct.

So it's really saying that if you don't meet the criteria for residency that the issuing authority MAY take up to sixty days to issue which really isn't any different than non resident.

Also, I don't believe that there is any difference in the physical permit between resident and non resident. The only difference is the recipients address.

squeezeplae

Welcome to Washington State,
What can I say after all that, hope you enjoy living here, and there tends to be a little rain.

acmariner99

Ugh - here is what I did when I got my WA CPL: I was temporarily living in an apartment complex for a summer but was not technically a WA resident since I didn't have a WA DL (Summer internship). Everett PD, where I applied, only cared that I had an in state address (lease/utility bill as proof) - the DL attached to my CPL is my old Arizona DL. I got my CPL in the mail in about 2 weeks.

By the way ()pen(arry, welcome to Washington!

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

We're here! We'll be renting in Edmonds for 6 or 12 months until there's more housing inventory. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Well I know there's a regular meet up in Bothell, which is probably the closest to you. I think the thread is stickied so long for it in the WA forum.

and if you feel like it, you can come visit port orchard for our meet ups. and the big open carry picnic is saturday july 13 in port orchard. if you're in edmonds you can reach port orchard by taking the ferry to Kingston, then driving to Highway 3 which you can take down south down the kitsap penninsula to Port Orchard.

Hope you can come to the picnic, and good luck!

Welcome to Washington! where there's more gun rights then Texas! (at least for now....)

38or45

Well I know there's a regular meet up in Bothell, which is probably the closest to you. I think the thread is stickied so long for it in the WA forum.

and if you feel like it, you can come visit port orchard for our meet ups. and the big open carry picnic is saturday july 13 in port orchard. if you're in edmonds you can reach port orchard by taking the ferry to Kingston, then driving to Highway 3 which you can take down south down the kitsap penninsula to Port Orchard.

Hope you can come to the picnic, and good luck!

Welcome to Washington! where there's more gun rights then Texas! (at least for now....)

Yep, next Bothell meet up is 7/6, hope to see you there! Just got a thread up about it this morning with the address. :)

Welcome to Washington. Edmonds is a gorgeous area! We're on the Lynnwood/Edmonds line right now, practically neighbors!