• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some days I don't feel like OCing... What about you?

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I own a Kimber 1911 and Springfield XD9 and carry EVERY day. I love my 1911 more so I tend to carry it more OC/CC. It gets heavy at times and I was really hoping that by now I would be used to it. But the good thing is that I carry and carry often so either way i'm good =)

I've carried 1911's for many years. I prefer the all steel models, though I have owned a couple of the alloy frames ones that are a bit lighter. I use a good thick belt, and often wear jeans, which don't have as much give as slacks. You will get used to the weight if you carry long enough. I really don't notice the weight anymore, and plan on selling my current alloy frame 1911's in favor of another all steel model.

Whether I OC or CC is mostly weather dependent. I don't go out of my way to hike up a long Northwest parka inside of my gun just to OC in the rain or cold weather. Having all that coat bunched up gets in the way of a good clean draw.

I agree, there are days when I just CC, but for the most part, if the weather is good I OC. It took me awhile to get used to it, but hey, it took me awhile to not feel self conscious CC'ing "way back" when I started that as well.

amzbrady

wouldn't it be awesome if it was a perfect world and none of us would even think about carrying. At least that's what I think because of how cumbersome a firearm can be, and the places you can not carry one and think "Jeez, this is probably where I would need one if anywhere" like at work, behind the register, and the fact the IWB holster digs into my fat ass, and my fat ass makes me thunk my firearm against things as I walk past them, and a shoulder holster would be uncomfortable. and on and on and on... For me, it boils down to I try to open carry everywhere I can, I conceal when I have too, and wish I was superman so I wouldn't have to do either.

XDNick9

Nick don't buy into the hype, there is crime in Yakima and no one is doubting that but the numbers, who knows where they are getting them from???? I really do not put much into KIMA reporting as you can tell them anything and they will report it as fact with out an attempt to check it as being valid.
I just did a little Google Search on the most dangerous cities in the U.S. and Yakima did not even come up in the Top 100.

I was going to say, I did not bother to look into it more to see if Yakima was really one of those high crime cities. I carry everywhere I go because I just don't know when i'll need it.

XDNick9

I've carried 1911's for many years. I prefer the all steel models, though I have owned a couple of the alloy frames ones that are a bit lighter. I use a good thick belt, and often wear jeans, which don't have as much give as slacks. You will get used to the weight if you carry long enough. I really don't notice the weight anymore, and plan on selling my current alloy frame 1911's in favor of another all steel model.

Whether I OC or CC is mostly weather dependent. I don't go out of my way to hike up a long Northwest parka inside of my gun just to OC in the rain or cold weather. Having all that coat bunched up gets in the way of a good clean draw.

I agree, there are days when I just CC, but for the most part, if the weather is good I OC. It took me awhile to get used to it, but hey, it took me awhile to not feel self conscious CC'ing "way back" when I started that as well.

I don't own an alloy frame 1911, but I have handled a few Kimber's. I can imagine it'd feel better and much lighter. I think I just really need a quality gun belt so that it is more comfortable when I carry. I carry my 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster, but it still kind of sags so i'm thinking it is because of my belt.

CCinMaine

I CC when with the wife but OC all the other times. She doesn't like the potential of causing a scene.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
A good quality heavy gun belt works wonders for carrying. Although there are many really good ones out there, I use the "double thick" belts by Filson. Manufactured right here in Seattle and sold at many local outlets. I started with the 1 1/4 " belt, and now have a 1.5" belt, which I love.

amlevin

I've carried since 1964, back when a Concealed Weapons Permit was an 8-1/2" X 11" document typed up by a clerk in the PD or Sheriff's office.

Can't say I really have given much thought to why I carry the way I do, I just "carry". I've carried open, concealed, in a holster and sometimes in a briefcase. For me it's been a matter of merely HAVING a firearm with me rather than the method of carry.

Apparently it's worked because I'm well into "geezer-hood".

XDNick9

A good quality heavy gun belt works wonders for carrying. Although there are many really good ones out there, I use the "double thick" belts by Filson. Manufactured right here in Seattle and sold at many local outlets. I started with the 1 1/4 " belt, and now have a 1.5" belt, which I love.

I'm gonna have to stop by Seattle some time and check out those local outlets that have those quality belts. I have a thick "double duty" leather belt from Cabela's that apparently should support the weight, but really doesn't. It was disappointing when I ordered multiple belts that had the webbing in them, got them online and had to wait 2-3 weeks only to find out that they weren't comfortable, fitting enough, or supportive.