• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some days I don't feel like OCing... What about you?

XDNick9

When I first started OCing, I was all about it because I did not possess a CPL so obviously it was the only method for carrying. Now that I have had my CPL for some time now, there are some days and situations where I just don't feel like OCing... Usually when I am by myself I will OC, but when I am with friends and family I will CC to not inconvenience them should any problems arise from my OCing.

Has anyone else felt the same way before or currently feeling the same? I honestly just feel that over time my thoughts and feelings will change. We all know that we just have our CPL to carry in our vehicles =P

Trigger Dr

When I first started OCing, I was all about it because I did not possess a CPL so obviously it was the only method for carrying. Now that I have had my CPL for some time now, there are some days and situations where I just don't feel like OCing... Usually when I am by myself I will OC, but when I am with friends and family I will CC to not inconvenience them should any problems arise from my OCing.

Has anyone else felt the same way before or currently feeling the same? I honestly just feel that over time my thoughts and feelings will change. We all know that we just have our CPL to carry in our vehicles =P

I carry daily. Sometimes open, sometimes concealed. It depends upon the situation ie: weather, Public access denied (court,mental health facility) etc. Some carry to make a statement, others carry to exercise a right.

ghosthunter

Yeah

I have been carrying 30 years or more now. And OC some times is just a hassle so I CC.
I carry every day and I often got back and forth between the two carries in the same day.Depending on what I am doing.

In the end you have to suit yourself.

leitung

It depends on many factors on when I OC, some days I conceal, some days I carry openly. Where I am going or what I am doing. Sometimes I do a bonehead move and forget to carry altogether, then there are days I am lazy and just don't feel like carrying my OC carry so I go for something light like an LC9 or .25 that I CCW. Then there are days I can't carry, such as work days.

Sometimes I ccw, at places like the Space Needle with my family where I don't want there to be any issues that would ruin their good time visiting.

I don't ALWAYS OC, but I certainly do it often and when possible.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Some days I don't feel like OCing

Oh, my.

The only time I don't OC is when I can't.

But, there's no membership rule requiring gung-ho always OC. There should be :))); but, there ain't.

hermannr

I carry, always. I have 5 OWB holsters (for different pistols) and one shoulder rig. I do not like the shoulder rig, and my normal carry is a CZ85...kind of hard to conceal a full sized pistol if you are not wearing a coat.

That said, weather dictates... I do not wear my carry out in the weather. I wear a coat when it is cold, and unless I go inside and take the coat off, it is covered. If it is warn, and I do not need a coat, it is the same pistol, the same holster, and it is out in the open.

Concern relatives?? Surely you jest? I have one SIL that is pure anti, and comes from an anti family. He almost had a heart attach when I taught his daughters the safe handling of firearms, and even let them shoot their grandmother's competition .22 pistol. He got over it. Haven't got him shooting guns yet, but he is trying the Bow and arrows now.

He mentioned my carry, and I told him I carry to deter any attempt at harming me or my family, it is an open statement that I can defend myself. Even an anti can understand that. Most criminals are lazy cowards, they do not pick on people that can fight back. As I cannot fight back physically, this is what I do. I OC in his house, even if his relatives are there. Once was enough, all is quiet. They know I am armed, and they know they will not change that.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I wear tucked in shirts, and have no place to conceal a Govt. 1911. I have a 1911 .45, Taurus 24/7 PRO DS 9mm, and a Kel-Tec PF9. About the only time I wear a jacket is when I'm going to be outside in nasty weather for an extended period. I dress for my comfort, and weather not to make somebody else happy. I have not had a single person, or business to include my banks have any issue with it. Again I stress, I do not OC to say "look at me" since I'm old enough not to care what anybody thinks. I OC or CC for my personal comfort based mostly on the weather. I'm fortunate, all my friends (the few I have) either OC or at least totally approve of how/when/where I carry. My family (son & daughter) don't mind either. My daughter (18) doesn't personally like guns (too much noise draws in zombies), but has a machete. My son is 15, and he loves shooting. Carry the way you want, and makes you happy. Don't worry about what other people think.

XDNick9

I own a Kimber 1911 and Springfield XD9 and carry EVERY day. I love my 1911 more so I tend to carry it more OC/CC. It gets heavy at times and I was really hoping that by now I would be used to it. But the good thing is that I carry and carry often so either way i'm good =)

fire suppressor

No you are not alone there are time when I chose not to open carry. In my personal opinion I do not care of someone open carries or conceal carries the only thing that matters is that people carry. There are times when I chose not to open carry as to not to inconvenience myself or others but every situation is different. Special events, formal dinners, Costco, hospitals. And to be honest there are some days I just do not want to open carry for no specific reason or justification I have days when I just do not feel like it. There are other days when I leave the house with my tshirt untucked but tucked behind the gun and I leave it up to God. If it should happen to cover it self up during the course of the day or not I do not really care. It can be a slippery slope after a while you can get too use to not open carrying and you have to remind yourself it is ok. On my off time I dress to be comfortable and sometimes that means open carry and sometimes it does not. Open or not what maters more to me is that I have it

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
too much noise draws in zombies

Eh, zombies revert to baser instincts. How many predators are attracted to sounds like gunshots?

I know Walking Dead expects to make their own contribution to the zombie meme ("guns attract zombies") but they were way too wrong on that count to deserve it, unfortunately.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Some carry for both reasons at the same time, and both are valid reasons in of themselves.

+1

Making a statement is exercising a right.

Moreover, exercising a right must be making a statement, otherwise there's no point. For instance, if the whole world believes you don't own or carry guns, you may as well be counted amongst those who do not; it would be pointless (aside from some small self-gratification) to exercise a right solely for the sake of doing so, but then do so covertly.

acmariner99

For me carrying is an "it depends" kind of thing - I prefer to OC and typically do under most circumstances, though yes there are times I will conceal. Most of the time my carry mode depends on what I am wearing and if I am wearing a jacket or not. I usually conceal if I am doing a lot of walking on public streets, or if I don't want to deal with certain people on a given day.

I like having the option to carry how I choose. I don't like states where you are stuck at a given mode of carry regardless of the circumstances. (Texas, get with the program!)

fire suppressor

A lot of people are talking about OC to make a statement or to exercise a right but I feel like we are missing another very important factor and that is lifestyle. Yes there are times I do open carry to make a statement and to exercise my right but more than anything else for me it is a lifestyle. The majority of the time I do open carry it is for no other reason other than I am living my life I way I want to. We can talk about rights and liberty's all we want but at the end of the day it is the only way I know how to live my life

XDNick9

A lot of people are talking about OC to make a statement or to exercise a right but I feel like we are missing another very important factor and that is lifestyle. Yes there are times I do open carry to make a statement and to exercise my right but more than anything else for me it is a lifestyle. The majority of the time I do open carry it is for no other reason other than I am living my life I way I want to. We can talk about rights and liberty's all we want but at the end of the day it is the only way I know how to live my life

+1

I really liked what you said about carrying being a lifestyle, that's the way I really feel. I work out in Yakima for the time being and I really just carry because I don't fear for my life, but because I value it enough to protect myself. I read awhile back that Yakima ranked in Top 10 for highest crime rate on a national level. Times have changed, and I think it has improved, but you just never know. Here's the article:

http://www.kimatv.com/news/local/Yakima-in-top-tier-for-crime-rate-135357163.html

tombrewster421

+1

Moreover, exercising a right must be making a statement, otherwise there's no point. For instance, if the whole world believes you don't own or carry guns, you may as well be counted amongst those who do not; it would be pointless (aside from some small self-gratification) to exercise a right solely for the sake of doing so, but then do so covertly.

Absolutely!

sudden valley gunner

+1

+1

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
+1

I really liked what you said about carrying being a lifestyle, that's the way I really feel. I work out in Yakima for the time being and I really just carry because I don't fear for my life, but because I value it enough to protect myself. I read awhile back that Yakima ranked in Top 10 for highest crime rate on a national level. Times have changed, and I think it has improved, but you just never know. Here's the article:

http://www.kimatv.com/news/local/Yakima-in-top-tier-for-crime-rate-135357163.html

Nick don't buy into the hype, there is crime in Yakima and no one is doubting that but the numbers, who knows where they are getting them from???? I really do not put much into KIMA reporting as you can tell them anything and they will report it as fact with out an attempt to check it as being valid.
I just did a little Google Search on the most dangerous cities in the U.S. and Yakima did not even come up in the Top 100.