• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to forum

SECGUY

New to the OC Forum.
I will be moving from Florida to Murphy, NC in a few months.
Looking for some advice on carrying in a private vehicle without a license (preferred) or obtaining a concealed license hoping the surrounding states would recognize a NC license.

My residence will be close to the borders of Georgia and Tennesse so I will post in those area also. I'm trying to make some decisions involving open carrying in a vehicle that best suits travel between Tennessee/Georgia/North Carolina (SC unlikely). I think NC allows open carry if the firearm is visible. I would think a cross-draw holster (I'm a lefty) or chest holster or a holster fastened to the inside of vehicle could work in North Carolina to make it visible?

Georgia does not seem to differentiate between concealed and open carry; keep firearm in vehicle glove box or console....under seat allowed or not?

I have read that Tennesse allows OC in a vehicle but the firearm has to be unloaded?....doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe someone could help here. A revolver is unloaded when the cylinder is empty but is a semi-auto "unloaded" with a magazine installed and NO round in the barrel?

It seems like South Carolina requires the firearm to be in a container that closes with an integral fastener, i.e. glove box, center console, etc. can be loaded (?) and the compartment must close but does not have to be locked.

Ken56

Tennessee carry, ANY kind of carry, is by permit only, otherwise it must be unloaded, encased and out of normal reach to qualify for federal/state transport legalities. I just moved to tennessee from Michigan and my MI permit expired so I am SOL till I go thru the safety class and apply for my TN permit. sucks big time. Otherwise TN is fairly friendly to those of us who exercise our 2A rights. Some cities can regulate, or still have old laws grandfathered in concerning carry in their boundries. I think TN needs some improvement in pre emption area and licencing but, I'm new here. good luck in your move.

Silvertongue

Fortunately for us, any ordinances enacted after July 1, 1986 are preempted by state law.
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Don't listen to anything told to you by anybody until you research it yourself.

Ken56

Fortunately for us, any ordinances enacted after July 1, 1986 are preempted by state law.
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Don't listen to anything told to you by anybody until you research it yourself.

That may be so, yes, but as I understand the way the law reads is that any ordinances PRIOR TO 7/1/1986 are still viable as they were not wiped clean when that pre emption law in '86 took effect. Solid advice to do your own research, as I am trying to do also, being new to the state. I think I will ask that question in my safety class to see what response I get. I will be taking it from the Dandridge PD.

Last edited:

Fallguy

That may be so, yes, but as I understand the way the law reads is that any ordinances PRIOR TO 7/1/1986 are still viable as they were not wiped clean when that pre emption law in '86 took effect. Solid advice to do your own research, as I am trying to do also, being new to the state. I think I will ask that question in my safety class to see what response I get. I will be taking it from the Dandridge PD.

The way you word it is more correct, any city ordnance on the books prior to 7/1/1986 is still valid. There really wouldn't be any reason for a city to pass an ordnance after that point. But remember cities can still post city property per 39-17-1359 just as any private property owner as well as county or state property.

AFAIK the only real issue with ordnances prior to 7/1/1986 is Knoxville has an ordnance that prohibits carry in any city parks. Also I think there is one other city with the same ordnance, but I can not recall who it is right now.

Tennessee also doesn't differentiate between OC or CC if you have a carry permit. Also carry in your car is the same as on your person if you have permit. As said before, if you do not have a permit, the weapon must be unloaded. T.C.A. 39-17-1301(18) defines unloaded as "...the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon."

Ken56

Thank you Fallguy for your input. You seem to be one of the more knowlegable people in the TN forum and I appreciate that. I appologize for my lack of cites on the laws here but forgive me as I am still looking them up and trying to understand Tennessees codes. I am slowly getting the hang of it although being the computer incompetent I am, I am not sure how to link a cite in a response here.

Nascar24Glock

Thank you Fallguy for your input. You seem to be one of the more knowlegable people in the TN forum and I appreciate that. I appologize for my lack of cites on the laws here but forgive me as I am still looking them up and trying to understand Tennessees codes. I am slowly getting the hang of it although being the computer incompetent I am, I am not sure how to link a cite in a response here.

The easiest way to link a citation is to go to the top of your browser window with the citation, highlight the web address, and hit "Ctrl" and "C". Then, go to here, type out your reply, and hit "Ctrl" and "V".

For example, suppose I want to link the Wikipedia article describing open carry. I would post it like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry_in_the_United_States

Here is the link to Tennessee's laws.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Fallguy

Thank you and no problem. You'll find TN firearms laws can be very confusing no matter how many times you read them lol

The way Nascar24Glock showed about "copy and pasting" is pretty much easiest way to reference a link