Thread: Washington Supreme Court and gun rights

Washington Supreme Court and gun rights

So with gun control groups heading to the ballot box with inititive (at least they threatened to), a very important question emerges... I think King County will sway the state to passing any initiative with "universal back ground checks" or "magazine bans" once it becomes a statewide ballot issue the large number of rural districts and committee processes that killed the last gun control ideas will become less of an issue to gun control supporters. theoretically the legislature can kill any gun control after 2 years, but unlikely.

so the real question is, can the Washington Supreme Court as currently composed be trusted to kill any measures on Washington Constitutional Grounds. We have a very strongly worded constitutional right in Art 1 Sec 24, but if ballot initiatives on gun control pass and they're challenged up to the SCOWA, do we stand a realistic chance of them being dismissed on constitutional grounds?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    No.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Courts are part of the government and historically and by their examples we can not trust politically connected lawyers who happen to reside in government positions to protect us against government intrusions.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)