• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Supreme Court and gun rights

EMNofSeattle

So with gun control groups heading to the ballot box with inititive (at least they threatened to), a very important question emerges... I think King County will sway the state to passing any initiative with "universal back ground checks" or "magazine bans" once it becomes a statewide ballot issue the large number of rural districts and committee processes that killed the last gun control ideas will become less of an issue to gun control supporters. theoretically the legislature can kill any gun control after 2 years, but unlikely.

so the real question is, can the Washington Supreme Court as currently composed be trusted to kill any measures on Washington Constitutional Grounds. We have a very strongly worded constitutional right in Art 1 Sec 24, but if ballot initiatives on gun control pass and they're challenged up to the SCOWA, do we stand a realistic chance of them being dismissed on constitutional grounds?

sudden valley gunner

Courts are part of the government and historically and by their examples we can not trust politically connected lawyers who happen to reside in government positions to protect us against government intrusions.