• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

talk with off duty LEO

KYGlockster

Activist Member
To get an FOP plate in KY you must be a member of the FOP. To become a member of the FOP you must be a sworn peace officer with an agency that is recognized by the FOP (certain officers with federal agencies can also become members as can certain individuals with the KY COJ). Family members cannot be members in the FOP or anyone else. Most FOP members are local police officers, sheriffs and deputy sheriffs, and jailers and deputy jailers, all of which are sworn peace officers with county wide jurisdiction to enforce the law.

If he had FOP plates then it's likely he had arrest powers, unless he was driving someone's car that is.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

They can be "auxiliary members," which is why I asked if auxiliary members qualify.

There are people here in NC running around with FOP plates who are not police, the requirement for a FOP card at tag office is required, according to FOP. Apparently they are accepting auxiliary cards. It was not uncommon to pull over cars with FOP or Sheriff's association plates and the person who the car was registered to was not a police officer. The only way to tell if a police officer is actually a police officer is to ask for ID, and contact the agency. They will confirm if they are or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOP-FRATERN...404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2df1563c

Here one can buy a FOP pin with sticky backing for applying to license plate. Anybody who wants to become a instant cop and play in the mall can buy it.

countryclubjoe

I have seen the round metal " Member Fraternal Order of Police" decal on ebay.
Also the metal PBA shield on ebay.

CCJ

KYGlockster

Activist Member
They can be "auxiliary members," which is why I asked if auxiliary members qualify.

In Kentucky auxiliary members cannot get the FOP plates. They can get the little metal tag that can be attached to a STANDARD plate and the stickers to go on their windows, but not the actual FOP license plate.

Kentucky law and North Carolina law are quite different I would assume WalkingWolf.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
There are people here in NC running around with FOP plates who are not police, the requirement for a FOP card at tag office is required, according to FOP. Apparently they are accepting auxiliary cards. It was not uncommon to pull over cars with FOP or Sheriff's association plates and the person who the car was registered to was not a police officer. The only way to tell if a police officer is actually a police officer is to ask for ID, and contact the agency. They will confirm if they are or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOP-FRATERN...404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2df1563c

Here one can buy a FOP pin with sticky backing for applying to license plate. Anybody who wants to become a instant cop and play in the mall can buy it.

Why are you so concerned about not wanting people to know you are an LEO when you are off-duty?

Here in KY even if I am off-duty I am still a Peace Officer with arrest powers, and I am bound to intervene in any illegal activity I may witness. I carry my badge and identification 24/7 whether on- or off-duty. I do carry my badge concealed on my person, but I do carry it nonetheless. Many companies will hire off-duty Peace Officers to work security jobs because we do have arrest powers whether on- or off-duty.

The FOP plates are convenient and I have them on my vehicles. The little decals and "pins" you speak of look nothing like the actual design on the FOP plates, and it is very easy to identify the difference. The plates have a specific badge design and state "member" right on the badge; the pins and stickers say "VIP DONATER" and so forth. It is incredibly easy to spot an FOP plate when compared to the plate tags or stickers.

WalkingWolf

Why are you so concerned about not wanting people to know you are an LEO when you are off-duty?

Here in KY even if I am off-duty I am still a Peace Officer with arrest powers, and I am bound to intervene in any illegal activity I may witness. I carry my badge and identification 24/7 whether on- or off-duty. I do carry my badge concealed on my person, but I do carry it nonetheless. Many companies will hire off-duty Peace Officers to work security jobs because we do have arrest powers whether on- or off-duty.

The FOP plates are convenient and I have them on my vehicles. The little decals and "pins" you speak of look nothing like the actual design on the FOP plates, and it is very easy to identify the difference. The plates have a specific badge design and state "member" right on the badge; the pins and stickers say "VIP DONATER" and so forth. It is incredibly easy to spot an FOP plate when compared to the plate tags or stickers.

Do you know many plumbers who fix mall toilets for free on their off hours? A few police get specialty plates, but not many, and most do not want to be playing cop at the mall. Unless of course they are mall cops. Do YOU accost open carriers on duty or off?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Here in KY even if I am off-duty I am still a Peace Officer with arrest powers, and I am bound to intervene in any illegal activity I may witness. I carry my badge and identification 24/7 whether on- or off-duty. I do carry my badge concealed on my person, but I do carry it nonetheless. .

I had 24/7 arrest powers for 33 years. I really didn't want to get involved in things when I was off duty. I was prepared to do so if I had to. Only really had to once.

I prefer not to advertise that I was an off duty LEO I live in a small rural county enough people knew who I was didn't need to spread it around to others that didn't.

But each to his own No back up, no vest,no radio before cell phones really didn't want to get involved in off duty law enforcement work.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Do you know many plumbers who fix mall toilets for free on their off hours? A few police get specialty plates, but not many, and most do not want to be playing cop at the mall. Unless of course they are mall cops. Do YOU accost open carriers on duty or off?

I don't accost anyone unless they are breaking the law, and then only if they are breaking a law that is worth enforcing. I like to exercise discretion while on-duty. Obviously you haven't paid any attention to my posts where I defend the rights of open carriers, much like I have done in this thread. I openly carried for years before I obtained my CDWL, which was long before I became a Peace Officer.

Nearly every Peace Officer that I know has obtained the FOP plates once they became a member of the FOP.

Last edited:

MrOverlay

I don't accost anyone unless they are breaking the law, and then only if they are breaking a law that is worth enforcing. I like to exercise discretion while on-duty. Obviously you haven't paid any attention to my posts where I defend the rights of open carriers, much like I have done in this thread. I openly carried for years before I obtained my CDWL, which was long before I became a Peace Officer.

Nearly every Peace Officer that I know has obtained the FOP plates once they became a member of the FOP.

I abandoned the FOP in the 70's when the National FOP supported gun control.

WalkingWolf

I abandoned the FOP in the 70's when the National FOP supported gun control.

I belonged to the FOP as a deputy, I saw the FOP even locally as anti gun. The sheriff's office paid our dues, so we all belonged. The figures of members, and the number of legit plates do not support the claim that most FOP members have plates. And police are no different than anybody else they value their time off work.

We had a bailiff in Pittsboro about ten years ago that went around IDing herself as a police officer and harassing people for just about anything, including OC. She lasted about 6 months before being fired. It is the same behavior that happens from jailers who either have not paid their dues to be on the road, or cannot be trusted to be on the road. So they act out by playing Sonny Crocket in parking lots on their time off. I don't really pay attention to a jailer with a few months under his belt, to me, they are wannabe cops.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The word you want is spite, not despite, which means "notwithstanding".

If grammar, usage, and spelling here are not up to snuff, we will be additionally branded, and you all know it.

Here now! Stop that! I is proud of my redneck roots! Jes' cuz I ain't so good at grammer and spelling don't mene nuthing.

And, quit demeaning my Skoal by making it a standard of sophistication. :p:)

Last edited:

carolina guy

A FOP sticker does not mean COP. Most cops do not put stickers on their car. Your wife or you should have asked for ID when he identified himself as a off duty cop. I am betting he would have shut up and left.

+1 I am guessing that his wife is the LEO...not him.

carolina guy

Was at Home Depot in Florence and parked next to a car with FOP plates and driver setting in it.
My wife and I got out and walked in front of his car nothing said.
As we got back to the car He asked why I OC such a big gun (I had my full size 1911 w/10rd mag
in a thigh rig) and not CC. I told him I wanted to show other people
that it was ok to OC and that I was making a statement about the 2A.
My wife asked if he was a cop and he said yes she then asked what dept.
His answer was why what did it matter. she asked again and he said Florence.
We talked a little bit more something about calls for MWG I said that it was not RAS or PC.
He made the statement that the call was PC to stop.
After that I just said bye.
No use talking anymore.

Mike

I would have likely responded "..that a larger gun gets caught up in the center console in the car when I sit down...", smiled and kept walking.

carolina guy

I never wanted anything extra on my personal car, and my brother-in-law and cousin do not want them either. Makes it to easy to ID where they live, or vandalize the cars at the mall by thugs and thug wannabes.