Thread: next step if cops are called?

next step if cops are called?

I was reading a thread in the NV-OC experience post about being hassled at walmart. Then I thought back to when I was stopped by the greeter at walmart on trop and ft apache and he then called the cops even after i was compliant with answering his questions. He asked me ignorant ones such as if it was loaded and how i cant do that etc...anyways, Once the cops are called (i was NOT asked to leave the store because the manager never showed his face) do i have to wait to plead my case to the cops? If i leave, is it considered pleading guilty to whatever the guy who called the cops couldve said? Which could be anything from a MWAG and being a "threat " to customers. I felt like i needed to wait and then have the cops tell this guy I was in the right because he wouldnt even make eye contact while I was talking to him and would blow off anything i said with "well, you could shoot someone." Metro eventually called him back and told him I was in the right. But it wasnt a very fast process. It was a weird predicament because I was never asked to leave but the cops were called. Usually, its 1.told to leave by management 2.if not compliant, cops are called. 3.trespassing citation..yay.
    "Si vis pacem parabellum" - If you want peace, Prepare for war.

Re: next step if cops are called?

Well the above experience shows that it is a SUPER good idea to carry video & audio recorders, the stealthier the better. Why? Imagine if the greeter never said anything to you & let you go by, then called 911 and said you refused to leave when asked? Who do you think a jury is going to believe? A nice little old man or the "gunslinger" who scared the crap out of everyone ...including the "children"? In the past OCers have sent copies of audio/video to wal-mart corp. & they contacted the store in question to resolve the issue.

Just food for thought - It's not just bad police & bad guy's we need to worry about, it's also members of the public who may have agenda's of their own. Today it is often up to us to prove our innocence and others guilt. The system of "justice" is very easily twisted by a liar with or without a badge.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Re: next step if cops are called?

***NOTE*** be sure to check recording laws in your location!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Knowing that the cops have been called, leaving might be seen in their eyes as eluding. Around here that's a felony.

And yes, if your state laws allow for one-party audio recording, do it. Video recording (without audio) in a public place - and Wal-Mart's parking lot probably qualifies - is much less restricted.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by punisherprice View Post
    ...I was stopped by the greeter at walmart on trop and ft apache and he then called the cops...
    ...anyways, Once the cops are called (i was NOT asked to leave the store because the manager never showed his face) do i have to wait to plead my case to the cops...
    I see no obligation to stick around and wait for the cops. The only time I would even consider it as possible would be if by the Loss Prevention department of the store (like if you were caught shoplifting (committing an actual crime.)) These are the guys that know those laws and will not detain you without lawful authority.

That said, the door greeter is an official representative of the store. If he tells you to leave, I don't think you have the right to stick around and demand to speak to a manager. Leave first. Then call the manager from the parking lot.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I see no obligation to stick around and wait for the cops. The only time I would even consider it as possible would be if by the Loss Prevention department of the store (like if you were caught shoplifting (committing an actual crime.)) These are the guys that know those laws and will not detain you without lawful authority.

That said, the door greeter is an official representative of the store. If he tells you to leave, I don't think you have the right to stick around and demand to speak to a manager. Leave first. Then call the manager from the parking lot.
    I haven't encountered the problem, at least not in a Walmart. I have only encountered it once, and I left, at a flea market. I leave it up to the young guys to argue with people that don't care in the first place. If it had been a Walmart I would have left, then called the store and ask to speak to the manager on duty. If that did not work, then called corporate, without a recording who knows how it could have turned out in the OP's incident. Being seen arguing with a sidearm is not good for the image of OC, IMHO.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Knowing that the cops have been called, leaving might be seen in their eyes as eluding. Around here that's a felony.

And yes, if your state laws allow for one-party audio recording, do it. Video recording (without audio) in a public place - and Wal-Mart's parking lot probably qualifies - is much less restricted.

stay safe.
    Thats how i felt about the whole situation, Im not starting a high speed chase and not even know it. And what was funny was that Metro was like "Is he being belligerent or threatening, and he had them on speaker phone, and he was like, no?" Then they asked him if he wanted me to leave and he said NO! I was much confused at this point...Thanks to everyone for their $0.02!
    "Si vis pacem parabellum" - If you want peace, Prepare for war.