• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB1160 do these exemptions allow me to purchase assault rifles again?

KydexKustomsCT

I have recently been offered a job with Department of Corrections. I decided to look into SB1160 to see what benefits I would receive by being employed with the state. Couple questions:

1.) I will be able to purchase and carry LCM off duty? ( I noticed today the section regarding the loading of no more than 10rds, no mag exceeding below the grip section has been removed since I last read this few weeks ago.)

2.) I will be able to purchase assault rifles?

2b.) if purchasing assault rifle, does this open up the door to be able to purchase any of the assault rifles on the Ban list, since all models of assault rifles are now banned?

Here are the sections in order of appearing in the bill relating to my questions of Department of Corrections exemptions:

Section 1. Section 29-37a of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

(a) For the purposes of this section, "long gun" means a firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, other than a pistol or revolver.

(b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection, no person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any long gun to any person under eighteen years of age.

(2) No person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has or accepts a magazine with a capacity exceeding five rounds to any person under twenty-one years of age. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the sale, delivery or transfer of such a rifle to any person who is a member or employee of an organized local police department, the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection or the Department of Correction or a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their duties.

Sec. 23. (NEW) (Effective from passage) (a) As used in this section and section 24 of this act:

(d) A large capacity magazine may be possessed, purchased or imported by:

(1) Members or employees of the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, police departments, the Department of Correction or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties or when off duty;

Sec. 26. Section 53-202b of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

(a) (1) Any person who, within this state, distributes, transports or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives any assault weapon, except as provided by sections [29-37j and] 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, as amended by this act, [and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a,] shall be guilty of a class C felony and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of which two years may not be suspended or reduced by the court.

(2) Any person who transfers, sells or gives any assault weapon to a person under eighteen years of age in violation of subdivision (1) of this subsection shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of six years, which shall not be suspended or reduced by the court and shall be in addition and consecutive to the term of imprisonment imposed under subdivision (1) of this subsection.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The sale of assault weapons to (A) the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, police departments, the Department of Correction or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States, for use in the discharge of their official duties or when off duty, or (B) any employee of a Nuclear Regulatory Commission licensee operating a nuclear power generating facility in this state for the purpose of providing security services at such facility, or any person, firm, corporation, contractor or subcontractor providing security services at such facility for use in the discharge of their official duties;

davidmcbeth

Banned
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Here is another cite that addresses your concerns ...

motoxmann

Section 1. Section 29-37a of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

(a) For the purposes of this section, "long gun" means a firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, other than a pistol or revolver.

(b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection, no person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any long gun to any person under eighteen years of age.

(2) No person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has or accepts a magazine with a capacity exceeding five rounds to any person under twenty-one years of age. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the sale, delivery or transfer of such a rifle to any person who is a member or employee of an organized local police department, the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection or the Department of Correction or a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their duties.

it appears your assumptions are correct, at first glance. a lawyer would be your best bet to get a full determination.
just one thing though; the portion I quoted above, notice the part I underlined. that entire portion of the law is simply to establish the age limits for various types of firearms.

davidmcbeth

Banned
it appears your assumptions are correct, at first glance. a lawyer would be your best bet to get a full determination.
just one thing though; the portion I quoted above, notice the part I underlined. that entire portion of the law is simply to establish the age limits for various types of firearms.

At the DESPP website, I think they talk about only on duty (I was looking for the registration forms yesterday) ... of course they could be wrong (and frequently are) but that's what they'll go by, right?