Thread: Sully Plantation

Sully Plantation

I'll be participating in the Sully Plantation Car Show this Sunday and was wondering if I can OC there. I did a search here and there has been no mention of it. Wiki says that it is run by Fairfax County Park Authority so should I assume that OC is OK? Anybody OC there? I can't tell if the Model A Ford Club is leasing the property for the event or how the event is arranged.

http://gwcmodela.org/events.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sully_Historic_Site

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/sully-historic-site/

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    If the Wiki quote "The Fairfax County Park Authority agreed to operate the site as a county historical park, and has since acquired an additional 60 acres to bring the total size of Sully Historic Site to approximately 120 acres" is accurate, you should be fine.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    If the Wiki quote "The Fairfax County Park Authority agreed to operate the site as a county historical park, and has since acquired an additional 60 acres to bring the total size of Sully Historic Site to approximately 120 acres" is accurate, you should be fine.
    Unless the Model A Ford Club is renting the space. The AG says they can impose their own rules on local government property. http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions%...09-Greason.pdf

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Unless the Model A Ford Club is renting the space. The AG says they can impose their own rules on local government property. http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions%...09-Greason.pdf

stay safe.
    True....and since we don't have any indication that they have prohibited firearms (and the event happens to be on public property), I think he should be fine, IMHO.....Now, whether they actually will cause a stink when someone OC's remains to be seen.

PS - I think its crappy that a local government can lease away the rights of the citizens. I respect Ken's opinion, but I'd love to see that one challenged in court.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Thanks guys, figured as much. I'll go and OC and see what happens. I'll take a lockable hard case so if they object I can lock up my firearm. Last year I don't remember seeing any LEOs so maybe there won't be an issue but then again I didn't OC this time last year. The last thing I want to do is ask them if it is OK because they probably never considered such a problem and their knee jerk reaction would most likely be no...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM15A View Post
    Thanks guys, figured as much. I'll go and OC and see what happens. I'll take a lockable hard case so if they object I can lock up my firearm. Last year I don't remember seeing any LEOs so maybe there won't be an issue but then again I didn't OC this time last year. The last thing I want to do is ask them if it is OK because they probably never considered such a problem and their knee jerk reaction would most likely be no...
    Sound Judgement John!

If you have problems, record, document and then fight the battle on your terms later.

I do take a recorder every time I carry (which is all the time) but I only turn it on when I think I need to. I did today, I was helping my son move a bed into his condo when a PWC LEO showed up next door to pester his neighbor (his neighbor's husband is wanted or something...). The LEO was 5' from me so on with the recorder. The LEO was so involved I don't think he even noticed me - so much for his situational awareness... But then again, the PWC LEOs never notice me, maybe they don't think an old codger is much of a threat... I do read where the young'ins get hassled all the time.

Thought I would check in. The whole day at Sully OC. Not a single issue except a weird look from a LEO and some dude wanted to give me tips on how to not shoot my foot while drawing... Won first place on the heavy commercial, had 300 folks watch me get up from my lawn chair and walk to the presenter to receive my trophy. Never done that before with a 45 on my hip. I did see one other dude OCing so I talked to him about his OC and he quickly covered it up with his shirt tail and said he was not OCing...

Thought I would check in. The whole day at Sully OC. Not a single issue except a weird look from a LEO and some dude wanted to give me tips on how to not shoot my foot while drawing... Won first place on the heavy commercial, had 300 folks watch me get up from my lawn chair and walk to the presenter to receive my trophy. Never done that before with a 45 on my hip. I did see one other dude OCing so I talked to him about his OC and he quickly covered it up with his shirt tail and said he was not OCing...
    Congrats! and that is a shame that he would be so embarrassed...
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

I OC'ed also. Took second in my class. 54 Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by occva View Post
    I OC'ed also. Took second in my class. 54 Chevy.
    I guess I missed you...