• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield PD response and question....

BOOMcat12B

I just moved to Springfield from Rolla. I have been OCing now for almost 2 years or so. While in Rolla I had a total of 7 MWAG calls over a year time period. Usually the LEOs were cool about it, with the exception of 2 officers anyways. Now I live in Springfield. I have OCed here in the past when i have visited. And i have been OCing here for the last week just about everywhere I go. I know the law here but I asked SFPD on their FB page what they thought of OCing just to get a feel for their stance on things. Here is what I wrote as well as their response-

Howdy. I just moved to the area from Rolla. I was curious what your departments stance was on the open carry of a handgun? As far as I can tell it is legal in Springfield to openly carry a firearm with or without a CCW ( in accordance with local and state law of course). Is this a fairly common thing in the area? Are your officers versed in stops involving man with a gun calls? Just trying to figure out the temperament so to speak. Thanks for the help and stay safe out there. Respectfully-

Here is their response-

It is technically allowed, but it is highly discouraged. Although it rarely happens within the city, we get calls for service on it when it does, which not only requires police assistance, but puts all involved at risk. Thanks, James.

Now I get the usual discouraged crap....Alot of LEOs feel that way. However what blew me away is the "puts all at risk" bit. I mean really? Anyone else ever hear this dribble? I just can not comprehend how a law abiding citizen, with a holstered weapon, puts anyone at risk other than BGs. Anyways I just wanted to share that.

Now here is my question.... With HB 436 looming in the foreground we are asking folks to be smart about their OC practices (MSPgunner I am the guy who asked about that on the FB page) which I understand and agree with, where does Springfield stand in that? It has been my understanding that Springfield has been a place where folks have been OCing for awhile. Is this true. Or are the LEO's correct in that it is never done in the city (I highly doubt that though)? I do not want to put the bill at risk by causing an incident, yet I do not want to stop carrying due to local ignorance from the PD. So where does Springfield stand on OCing....

Thanks for the help guys.

(Side note) As far as them getting calls on OCers when it does happen....Like i said i have OCed multiple times in the past, was even kicked out of the mall awhile back, and not once have I had a LEO encounter here.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Since I live here too; I can tell you there are a few City LEOs who do not like OC from a personal standpoint, although legal, they will challenge you to CC. However, there are many who don't care...unless you are being stupid with it. The reply you got doesn't surprise me.

As for it rarely occurring, well that is subjective. For that LEO, he may think it rarely occurs because they get very few calls on it; but the fact is, it does happen frequently. Most of the incidents are fairly benign.

The one place, outside of the other posted places, that will cause you harassment is Battlefield Mall; they don't like CCW there, let alone OC. They even have it posted as your driving onto the premises that you can't have a weapon in your vehicle. The former mall manager enjoyed demonizing people with firearms in that public setting, if his rent-a-cops ID'd you as a CCWer, he would try a public flogging. Fortunately, I heard this weekend he is no longer there, so I don't know what they will be like; however, the corp policy is to ban weapons on the premises.

Most of the grocery stores are OK; Price Cutter is fine. I'm not sure on HyVee or Dillons.

As stated discussed on the FB page, keeping a low profile and unwanted attention is key until we get something from the gubberner.

mspgunner

There are a number of people here and on other discussion sites who OC in Columbia, Rolla and Springfield. As the officer indicated, it is legal and he knows it. If the mall is posted, definately do not OC there, definately not welcome. OK, my case being made... OC where legal and the LEOs know it and see it, OK, I have no problem there. I was addressing places where OC has not be done or very limited and where the LOEs are not going to be friendly.. Saint Louis County municipalities in particular for right now. Why push the envelope when we are perhaps a month from the Governor just letting it be to become law Aug. 28th?

The police, from what I understand willnot give you a hard time in Rolla, Columbia, K.C., or springfield. They may have a chat with you....OK, enjoy, but they will not cause a big stir. We here on the east side, if we get the law passed wil have to be pro=active in educating our friends in the municipalities that prohibit OC now. we fully intend to do just that in a pro-active wey after we know we have a law and a date.

Really folks, its simple, all we are asking is that no one does anything over the top. Any one who has been around any length of time at all knows what happened to our OC State wide attemts before now, for those who don't, it's simple. Just no overt LEO news stories so we don't get a good law in progress shot doen when we are closer then we've ever been before. Let's get this one under our belts and then look to next year (Which soem are already doing) to see what more can be achieved while we have both Democrats and republicans in the legislature who are pro-2A. This could be one down and one or two too go! Lose this and you may as well carry a rock!

BOOMcat12B

No worries here on my Ocing...I have been doing it for around 2 years now and know how to interact with LEO's without making a thing of it. I was pretty sure Springfield was ok but just wanted to double check. Not to mention share the response form the local PD.... Thanks for your responses guys.

Oramac

Really folks, its simple, all we are asking is that no one does anything over the top.

QFT. Short version: until after July/September don't rock the boat. I may be on the extreme end but I've pretty much stopped OCing at all except for organized events that I know 100% will be ok (like brunch at JJ's, for example).