• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call the Nevada Governor.

2a4all

From Page Nine, Alan Korwin

Dial 1-775-684-5670 and press “2.”

The Nevada legislature recently passed legislation, SB 221, that would require private firearms transactions to be recorded by a federal firearms licensee (FFL) and sent to the FBI.

If Nevada's Governor signs this bill, it will be a signal to the anti-rights bigots that they can accomplish the same thing in your state.

SB 221 is now waiting for a decision by Nevada’s Republican Governor, Brian Sandoval.

He is opting to see which way the political winds are blowing before making a decision.

He has set up a hotline for people to call in and express their opinion
by simply pressing a button on their telephone.

All you need to do is call 1-775-684-5670 and press “2”
to tell Governor Sandoval that you want him to veto SB 221.

You don’t have to live in Nevada.
You don't have to leave your name or address.

The entire process is automated and takes about 15 seconds.
And, you can call as many times as you want! Do it.

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg has invested his significant wealth in the passage of SB 221 and is generating calls into the Governor’s hotline right now, encouraging Governor Sandoval to sign the universal registration bill.

If it can happen in Nevada, it can happen in your state.

Call 1-775-684-5670 right away and press “2” to tell Governor Sandoval to veto SB 221.

I got this alert from The Arizona Citizens Defense League http://www.azcdl.org, an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization in my state.

They got it from Gun Owners of America http://gunowners.org/alert06072013b.htm.

I read the bill myself to make sure this was for real. It is.
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/77th2013/Bills/SB/SB221_EN.pdf

The 28-page bill has other material attached, but the universal gun registration part is all bad. It is not even clear if a state can force federal gun dealers to register private gun transfers, accept liability for guns they don't sell, guns which may have been stolen or are defective, and it will block all guns sales when the feds close the NICS background check center, which they do from time to time. Then you can't buy a new gun or a used gun from a friend -- especially in an emergency.

Make the call. You know Bloomberg has his minions calling right now.

Call 1-775-684-5670 right away and press “2” to tell Governor Sandoval to veto SB 221.

eye95

This native New Yorker who spent most of his life in Alabama and is now living in Ohio, read the Virginia forum, and called the Nevada Governor and pressed 2 for 2A.

On edit: I forwarded the number to my wife, my daughter, and my son, urging them to call and press 2 from each of their phones.

Last edited:

Glockster

100 calls....

And FYI...using a redial on my cellphone, and as soon as the line answers immediately pressing "2" I got my vote in. Elapsed total time was 3 seconds including the dialing, ringing, and voting times.

Added: And another 100 calls -- can crank out 100 calls in 5 minutes and a couple of odd seconds. They must have a heck of a phone system!

Added: And if I program the number, with one delay period...I can press one button, call, wait, vote and then another to hang up. I've reduced my button pressing by 50% and can now crank out about 120 calls every five minutes! Just to mention, my parents live i Nevada so I DO have a dog in this race.

Last edited:

POPS VA

From Page Nine, Alan Korwin

The Nevada legislature recently passed legislation, SB 221, that would require private firearms transactions to be recorded by a federal firearms licensee (FFL) and sent to the FBI.

If Nevada's Governor signs this bill, it will be a signal to the anti-rights bigots that they can accomplish the same thing in your state.

SB 221 is now waiting for a decision by Nevada’s Republican Governor, Brian Sandoval.

He is opting to see which way the political winds are blowing before making a decision.

He has set up a hotline for people to call in and express their opinion
by simply pressing a button on their telephone.

All you need to do is call 1-775-684-5670 and press “2”
to tell Governor Sandoval that you want him to veto SB 221.

You don’t have to live in Nevada.
You don't have to leave your name or address.

The entire process is automated and takes about 15 seconds.
And, you can call as many times as you want! Do it.

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg has invested his significant wealth in the passage of SB 221 and is generating calls into the Governor’s hotline right now, encouraging Governor Sandoval to sign the universal registration bill.

If it can happen in Nevada, it can happen in your state.

I got this alert from The Arizona Citizens Defense League http://www.azcdl.org, an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization in my state.

They got it from Gun Owners of America http://gunowners.org/alert06072013b.htm.

I read the bill myself to make sure this was for real. It is.
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/77th2013/Bills/SB/SB221_EN.pdf

The 28-page bill has other material attached, but the universal gun registration part is all bad. It is not even clear if a state can force federal gun dealers to register private gun transfers, accept liability for guns they don't sell, guns which may have been stolen or are defective, and it will block all guns sales when the feds close the NICS background check center, which they do from time to time. Then you can't buy a new gun or a used gun from a friend -- especially in an emergency.

Make the call. You know Bloomberg has his minions calling right now.

Done

joanie

Well I'm not seeing the diffrence in gun dealers being required to do this check, and private firearms transactions. They need to do away with the checks all together, or apply it to every area of gun transactions. So unless they abolish the checks with dealers, then I'm all for this SB 221 thing.

eye95

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. The feds are infringing, so we should support a bill where the State government expands the infringement.

Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face is kinda the definition of neurotic.

You got turned down for the purchase of a firearm. Take rational action that helps you, not irrational action that hurts others. You were offered help in solving your denial (or delay; we actually don't know which). The rational course is to take that help, not refuse it and try to make others have a similar experience.

eye95

I won't be assisting you in destroying this thread with your convoluted, ever-changing stories. If folks want to see your inconsistent story-telling, they can read the locked thread that still exists on the topic. I just wanted them to know your selfish and irrational motives for your lack of support for this telephone campaign.

They can now see for themselves what is going on in your "mind." So I have no need to reply to any response you make to this post. IOW, moving on.

Folks, this thread is about a silly and infringing law. You should make the call to the governor, unless (for your own strange reasons) you don't not support this bill.

joanie

Your the one who brought it up, not me. I'm sticking with the frog theroy. If they pass this law in all states, or most states, people will see these checks for what they are. Oh, it's ok to submit to a check with a dealer, but not with a private owner? What kind of double standard is that? I urge others not to make the call, they only have this call line in place so they can say they gave the people a choice, these votes are not even being counted. They just will lie and say the people choose to pass this law.

So if I'm right, it won't matter, this law will pass. Mandatory registration will be next, then bans, then confication.. It's not even about banning guns to private citizens, it's about making us all criminals so we won't dare speak up about the 2ed, the 1st, or the 4th. If we speak up about the 2ed, we must be breaking the law by having guns. If we speak up on the 4th, we must have something to hide, and if we speak up about the 1st, we must be trying to overthrow the government. If we speak up about all 3, we are a domestic terrorist, thats how the law, and the news will see it.

Black_water

I called this morning and will keep calling.

I didn't realize that NV was that far gone that this would pass the leg and need to be vetoed.

States are falling like dominoes it seems.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I didn't realize that NV was that far gone that this would pass the leg and need to be vetoed...

It's one of those bills we see every year that has no chance of getting anywhere. And it didn't move, as usual. Next thing we know, Bloomberg is in town and it passes the Senate out of nowhere. Barely, and on straight party lines, but enough. It was expected to sail through the Assembly in the same way, but we turned our full attention to it, and almost convinced the Assembly what it was really all about. It lost a lot of support, but still managed to pass the Assembly (in an overtime Special Session) though they lost some of their Democrats' support in the process. The governor has promised a veto. We are holding him to it. We may be able to use this to our advantage in educating voters how important their decision is when electing state representatives.

A lot of people pay so much more attention to who represents their state in the US Congress, but that is actually far less important to your daily life than your state legislature.

B. Reddy

Push a couple buttons, support the 2nd Amendment.

Wow. That was almost as simple as pushing that big, red button at Staples.

R027

http://www.ktvn.com/story/22584547/governor-sandoval-vetoes-background-checks-bill

Governor Sandoval Vetoes Gun Background Checks Bill
Posted: Jun 13, 2013 1:58 PM EST Updated: Jun 13, 2013 6:23 PM EST

Private citizens in Nevada can keep selling firearms to each other without doing background checks.

Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval vetoed SB221 Thursday. The measure would have mandated background checks on all gun sales and transfers in the Silver State.

In his veto message, Sandoval says the background checks sections put "unreasonable" burdens on law-abiding Nevadans while doing little to prevent criminals from getting firearms illegally.

It is a significant defeat for New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's gun control advocacy group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns. The organization spent hundreds of thousands of dollars working to get the bill passed through to the governor. (AP)

Nevada Senator Harry Reid released the following statement responding to Governor Sandoval's veto of Senate Bill 221:

"I am deeply disappointed in Governor Sandoval's decision to veto this bill. People convicted of a felony or suffering from a severe mental illness should be prevented from buying a gun with a simple background check. Ninety percent of Nevadans agree and it is too bad this bill has been vetoed."

Nevada State Senator Justin Jones released the following statement after Governor Sandoval vetoed Senate Bill 221, Jones' legislation that would have implemented universal background checks for firearm purchases in Nevada:

"I am deeply disappointed that Governor Sandoval has joined with legislative Republicans in obstructing common sense legislation to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of criminals and those with severe mental illnesses. Despite the Governor's decision, I am grateful to my Democratic colleagues in the Senate and Assembly who courageously stood with the 86% of Nevadans who support universal background checks.

"The stories shared by family members of victims of tragedies from Sandy Hook to Tucson to the IHOP a few blocks from the Governor's office touched many of us over the past few weeks. The support of these family members of victims will forever remain as an inspiration to me and my colleagues to continue to work for increased public safety and responsible gun ownership. As a father, and as a legislator, I will continue to fight to pass universal background checks in Nevada because nothing is more important than keeping our children and our families safe."

ProgressNow Nevada Executive Director Brian Fadie released the following statement today in regards to Governor Brian Sandoval's veto of SB221:

Today Governor Sandoval put criminals over the safety of you and your family.

With this veto Sandoval has kept it legal for criminals, domestic abusers, and the dangerously mentally ill to easily and legally buy as many guns as they want with no background check.

Performing a background check during a gun sale is common sense. That's why repeated public polling showed 86 percent of Nevadans support universal background checks. It's also why Washoe County Sheriff's Office and Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department came out in support of this bill.

This veto tells you all you need to know about Brian Sandoval. The overwhelming majority of Nevadans agree background checks are a common sense thing and Sandoval does the opposite because he thinks it will help his political career.

Brian Sandoval should be ashamed of so brazenly putting politics ahead of people's lives.

The Nevada State Democratic Party released the following statement in response to Governor Brian Sandoval's veto of Senate Bill 221:

"Today Governor Sandoval demonstrated it is perfectly acceptable to him for criminals and people with severe mental illnesses to continue to obtain deadly weapons. It is a clear sign of how upside-down Brian Sandoval's priorities are that he wants to make it harder for people to vote while keeping it easy for a criminal to obtain a gun. Brian Sandoval's veto today means more criminals obtaining guns and fewer Nevadans protected from gun violence. As for the Governor saying he supported the mental health reporting requirements in this bill, after overseeing the busing of hundreds of mentally ill patients out of state unsupervised, Sandoval's rhetoric on mental health is nothing more than the fox guarding the hen house."

From the Nevada Firearms Coalition:

The Nevada Firearms Coalition thanks Governor Brian Sandoval for his veto of SB 221.The Governor put the wishes of his constituents over the lobbying and advertising dollars of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his gun control group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
In the days since SB 221 passed the Assembly with all Republicans and four Democrats in opposition, Governor Sandoval has been bombarded with calls and e-mails urging him to pass or veto the controversial bill.Telephone calls came in such large numbers that the Governor's office had to set up a separate telephone line to handle the traffic, which was running four to one against SB 221 and in favor of a veto.

The Nevada Firearms Coalition and the NRA has vigorously opposed the bill, as have thousands of sportsman, wildlife and citizen's groups and the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association, citing due process and Second Amendment concerns, and serious issues with the enforcement sections of the bill. As is frequently the case with gun control laws, the weight of SB 221 would have fallen on law-abiding gun owners, while criminals would have ignored it. It also would have disincentivized those with mental health problems from seeking help for fear of forfeiting their constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

We applaud Governor Sandoval for listening to the citizens of the Silver State and letting Nevada's laws be made by Nevadans and not by out-of-state lobbyists and activists.

From the Nevada Firearms Coalition

New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino issued the following statements:

"Rather than sign sensible legislation that keeps guns out of the hands of convicted felons and the mentally ill, Governor Sandoval has decided to preserve the loopholes that they use to buy guns," said Mayors Against Illegal Guns Co-Chair and New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. "The state legislature and 86 percent of Nevadans support comprehensive background checks, but this veto means that criminals and the dangerously mentally ill will continue to get a free pass in Nevada."

"By vetoing legislation that would close the private sale loophole Governor Sandoval has sided with the gun lobby rather than listening to Nevadans," said Mayors Against Illegal Guns Co-Chair and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino. "Today Governor Sandoval turned his back on the safety of his constituents."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Harry Reid said:
...Ninety percent of Nevadans agree and it is too bad this bill has been vetoed."...

Wow, it's up to 90% now? How does Harry say this with a straight face? Where are these 90% of Nevadans in the comments on the Legislature's website? Where are these 90% on the governor's phone polls?

By Harry's math, if he gets 90% of the vote for his next election, he's going to lose.