• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question re commercial vs reloaded self defense ammo

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The solid copper bullets are still marketed just like the copper jacketed lead. Turned brass bullets DID get moved to the Armor Peircing category, damn it. I have seen some very light and very fast solid tin loads that intrigue me. 1900fps out of a .45ACP just seems cool.:lol:

A little OT but it appears not all turned brass bullets were reclassified. I need to get out more because this happened in 2011.
Barns now has exemption petitions at the ATF to allow 11 calibers they had reclassified.

As to 1900 fps Wolfhound...just get a bigger gun:lol: My moderate gun I was wearing at dinner last night spits out 200 grain 45 bullets at a little over 1900fps even with the less than 4" barrel. Very Big Guns Save lives! :eek:

WalkingWolf

A little OT but it appears not all turned brass bullets were reclassified. I need to get out more because this happened in 2011.
Barns now has exemption petitions at the ATF to allow 11 calibers they had reclassified.

As to 1900 fps Wolfhound...just get a bigger gun:lol: My moderate gun I was wearing at dinner last night spits out 200 grain 45 bullets at a little over 1900fps even with the less than 4" barrel. Very Big Guns Save lives! :eek:

Impossible, only Glocks save lives... :uhoh:

POPS VA

I don' t remember exactly what I said before, and the search function on this website is notoriously ineffective. But I think the summaries of my opinion stated already were correct. I'd have used the technical legal term which is unpublishable, but starting with "bull" or alternatively, "horse" (a technical term coming from our Anglo-Saxon past legal history).

If you have a good and necessary reason to shoot, then you've got a good and necessary reason to shoot. Nothing else matters at that point. If you're charged with a crime, the eight-hundred pound gorilla in the room is going to be the fact that you shot someone; everyone's going to know it and there's no point in dancing around it. So my position is that you should meet it head on, and be prepared to testify that, in the situation you were facing, it was a good thing you were adequately prepared to meet the contingency. If you're found guilty, there's a possibility that such stuff could be used in sentencing, but even there it's not really relevant to anything whether you're using hollow-points, lightened springs, skeletonized hammer, a lasergrip, or whether the shape of your nose is aquiline or bulbous.

Thanks User As I posted, it sounded to me like the stuff that comes out of the south end of a north bound horse. I just thought it was a good question for those of us who choose to reload self defense ammo.

user

Accomplished Advocate
All I can say is thank goodness it comes from past legal history. I get so confused with future history.

:)

Ah, I keep forgetting that not all of us are prophets around here. See, I don't have any problems with future history. Since there is no time, really, it's all just one big "NOW", to me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ah, I keep forgetting that not all of us are prophets around here. See, I don't have any problems with future history. Since there is no time, really, it's all just one big "NOW", to me.

Hmmmmm...

It was. It will be. Therefore it is!:eek: