• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another article hating on OC

stealthyeliminator

Do you think there are any valid points at all? I took notice to the comments on retention.

I see the bulk of the article as general ranting/bashing and then injecting "professional opinion" just to make himself seem less biased, but that isn't to say that none of the professionals had generally good advice.

MyWifeSaidYes

Ohio...

...Shall-issue concealed carry: legal since 2004.

...Open carry: legal since 1803.

We were here first, bit-chez!

compmanio365

Notice how every one of the dissenters is a self-described "tactical" junkie, who probably sells training classes and material for concealed carry and "tactical" guides. OC is a threat to their bottom line, so of course they will speak out against it.

mikeyb

Cliff notes: "Oh, sure, you can open carry, but why? Being able to have a criminal approach you, demand your wallet, and you turn the tables by pulling your gun from the SOB, you can get the drop on the bad guy and end the threat."

That's pretty much everyone's opinion. A hero fantasy situation to justify CC. How about not having the criminal approach you to begin with?

The article is pure crap. Opinion galore, basically insulting anyone who OCs. Did the NRA fund this author?

SFCRetired

Open Carry is, by nature, both defensive and a very strong deterrent to the majority of criminals. As one responder to that article wrote, paraphrased, "Criminals are not ninjas; they look for soft targets."

It has been my experience open carrying that the "gangsta wannabe" types decide they have urgent business elsewhere as soon as they see that a) I am armed and b) that I am not walking along with my head in the clouds, but am alert to what and who is around me.

Concealed Carry is, by nature, both offensive and lacking in deterrent value if the weapon is properly concealed. There are situations and circumstances where concealed may be a better choice, mostly because of the sensitivities of others. Church services, in most instances, are one of those situations where concealed carry is better to avoid distracting others from the services. That, to me, is just common courtesy.

I had a similar conversation with a noted "firearms instructor" who could only reply by belittling me and not addressing what I actually said. This seems to be a common thread, not with concealed carriers, but with some of those who make large sums of money from teaching permit courses or other courses connected to concealed carry.

MyWifeSaidYes

...Church services, in most instances, are one of those situations where concealed carry is better to avoid distracting others from the services. That, to me, is just common courtesy...

While I agree with most of your post, this part has me confused.

Should I not OC in a restaurant because it would distract others from dining?

Should I not OC in a theatre because it would distract others from the movie?

Should I not OC at the pool because it would distract othersfrom swimming? (I sit on the lawn and watch my kids)

Should I not OC in a grocery store because it would distract others from shopping?

Should I not OC...do you see my point? If the pastor/priest/rabbi/etc. is okay with you carrying openly, would you?

One of the ideas behind OC is to normalize it in the minds of other people. Some might call it "desensitizing" and that's probably accurate.

When you fail to draw your handgun and start shooting your fellow worshippers, they will pay less attention to you and more to the speaker up front.

SFCRetired

While I agree with most of your post, this part has me confused.

Should I not OC in a restaurant because it would distract others from dining?

Should I not OC in a theatre because it would distract others from the movie?

Should I not OC at the pool because it would distract othersfrom swimming? (I sit on the lawn and watch my kids)

Should I not OC in a grocery store because it would distract others from shopping?

Should I not OC...do you see my point? If the pastor/priest/rabbi/etc. is okay with you carrying openly, would you?

One of the ideas behind OC is to normalize it in the minds of other people. Some might call it "desensitizing" and that's probably accurate.

When you fail to draw your handgun and start shooting your fellow worshippers, they will pay less attention to you and more to the speaker up front.

To me, and bear in mind that my military training has a lot to do with it, a worship service is an equine of an entirely different hue than the activities you listed. Were the priest, rabbi, pastor, drunk off the street OK with it, that might be different. I mentioned my military training; way back in the Dark Ages, when I was a young soldier, we were taught that one does not enter a place of Divine Worship "under arms".

Maverick9

If you think about it Concealed carry is everything that's frustrating or dead wrong about carrying a firearm.

Box of holsters - concealed carry guy (or gal)

Carries their gun in a different place almost every time - concealed carry guy (or gal)

Carries their gun in a fannypack, man purse, (women) purse, vest, shirt, or other odd place (ankle?)

Drops their gun in the store playing with their belt or pants - yep. concealed carry guy (or gal)

Leaves their gun on the back of a toilet - concealed carry guy (or gal) (except for some cops)

Shoots themselves while trying to re-holster (usually after playing with their piece) - concealed carry guy (or gal)

Gets tangled up in their shirt or jacket or vest trying to draw - concealed carry guy (or gal)
---

OC usually has a one or two good holsters, wears the gun in the same place, doesn't screw around with their gun, doesn't drop it or leave it in the bathroom.

eye95

Cliff notes: "Oh, sure, you can open carry, but why? Being able to have a criminal approach you, demand your wallet, and you turn the tables by pulling your gun from the SOB, you can get the drop on the bad guy and end the threat."

That's pretty much everyone's opinion. A hero fantasy situation to justify CC. How about not having the criminal approach you to begin with?

The article is pure crap. Opinion galore, basically insulting anyone who OCs. Did the NRA fund this author?

The difference between OC and CC is the same as the difference between uniformed officers and undercover officers which is the same as the difference between marked and unmarked police cars: deterrence v. playing gotcha. In the formers, you announce to the bad guys that they need to find a softer target. The latters are all designed to let bad things happen and then be able to respond and be the hero.

Real heroes stop the bad things from happening in the first place, usually never knowing that they have done so and never getting any hero-worship.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I for the most part don't like CC, there is no "element" of surprise as they preach. "Hey mister give me your wallet!" (BG pointing gun at me with no visible weapon). "OK, let me get my gun out of hiding first so I can "surprise" you!". OC option: BG1 to BG2 "Hey man let's go rob somebody else that is weak, and unarmed". BG's are inherently lazy, and have no desire for anything close to a fair fight.

lockman

State Researcher
To me, and bear in mind that my military training has a lot to do with it, a worship service is an equine of an entirely different hue than the activities you listed. Were the priest, rabbi, pastor, drunk off the street OK with it, that might be different. I mentioned my military training; way back in the Dark Ages, when I was a young soldier, we were taught that one does not enter a place of Divine Worship "under arms".

Sheep ready for the slaughter? Who's duty to protect the worshipers if not the worshipers?

ron73440

I for the most part don't like CC, there is no "element" of surprise as they preach. "Hey mister give me your wallet!" (BG pointing gun at me with no visible weapon). "OK, let me get my gun out of hiding first so I can "surprise" you!". OC option: BG1 to BG2 "Hey man let's go rob somebody else that is weak, and unarmed". BG's are inherently lazy, and have no desire for anything close to a fair fight.

I think the only time CC would be an advantage is if you're somewhere and the BG tries to rob it, not knowing anyone has a weapon.

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I would rather have him not decide to be a dumbass in my presence, and not even know that OC was the reason my trip was so boring.

eye95

I think the only time CC would be an advantage is if you're somewhere and the BG tries to rob it, not knowing anyone has a weapon.

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I would rather have him not decide to be a dumbass in my presence, and not even know that OC was the reason my trip was so boring.

If he knew someone had a gun because that someone was OCing, he would almost surely not rob the joint in the first place.

Google Kennesaw, Georgia Waffle House.

SFCRetired

Sheep ready for the slaughter? Who's duty to protect the worshipers if not the worshipers?

Oh, I agree with you. No one is responsible for my, and my wife's, safety but me. Church is one of the very few places where I would carry concealed. Reason being is that there are a bunch of old ladies (of both genders) who would have a hissy fit if they saw a firearm.

FWIW, the major reason I attend the church I do is that they have a very active ministry for persons of my wife's ethnicity. I will also say that the minister preaches a pretty good sermon.

Last edited:

sraacke

Well, I'm atheist. I have no problem carrying in churches and have done so many times. If I'm in a church I'm going to be armed. As soon as the wedding, funeral, baptism or whatever reason I'm there is over I'll leave but I'm not leaving my gun behind just because I'm in a Church.