Thread: Alabama Police Set Up Roadblocks Asking for Blood, DNA Samples.

Alabama Police Set Up Roadblocks Asking for Blood, DNA Samples.

Why were roadblocks in St. Clair and Bibb counties asking for blood and DNA samples this weekend?
    http://blog.al.com/east-alabama/2013...n_st_clai.html
    Off-duty St. Clair County deputies stopped cars at random at road block areas. The road blocks were marked with signs stating it was a paid survey. Cars stopped were asked for voluntary cooperation. Drivers were offered $10 for a mouth swab, and $50 for a blood test. If they refused, they were free to drive away. An official with the NHTSA said later that DNA was not collected as part of the survey, but only saliva and breath samples.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    I would be glad to extract a sample ... of theirs

I have seen this at block parties in cities too ...

isn't that special
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 06-11-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    So, let me make sure I understand this. The copses was seizing cars randomly in a roadblock--involuntary, compulsory stop!--just so they could ask the citizens for voluntary contribution to a private survey? What imbecile thunk up that one?

Sounds like time for a lawsuit to me.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    I don't care a whit that folks were given an opportunity to sell DNA samples.

I do care that the police used governmental force to stop citizens to help a private entity conduct its research. BULLSQUAT! Even if one accepts the authority for roadblocks to check for compliance with driving laws, this falls outside even that authority, let alone the need for RAS to stop citizens.

Someone needs to be officially punished for violating the rights of so many citizens. God help them if they stop me for a "voluntary sample." There WILL be hell to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    So, let me make sure I understand this. The copses was seizing cars randomly in a roadblock--involuntary, compulsory stop!--just so they could ask the citizens for voluntary contribution to a private survey? What imbecile thunk up that one?

Sounds like time for a lawsuit to me.
    No, no you got it all wrong, they weren't detained after they were stopped, they were perfectly free to go.

Nevermind U.S. v. Martinez-Fuerte and Michigan v. Sitz and Delaware v. Prouse, ad nauseum.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joanie View Post
    Yeah, like having police surrounding you on all sides blocking your way, but telling you your free to go, and not letting you by them. "But your free to go, if you can get past us"

"We are not beating you to death, not macing tasing or shooting you, we are protecting you" "it's our job to protect you, even if we have to kill you" .... Global love Cop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VBFeAESYeM
    Jesus invented the gas pedal for us to use .... don't worry, they'll get out of the way

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    I wonder what would have happened if I just honked my horn and drove right through without stopping. I wonder if they identified themselves as police?

Alabama Police Set Up Roadblocks Asking for Blood, DNA Samples.

Take a look at the latest government contract that P.I.R.E. got to do "traffic studies". This sounds like it might be part of that.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I don't care a whit that folks were given an opportunity to sell DNA samples.

I do care that the police used governmental force to stop citizens to help a private entity conduct its research. BULLSQUAT! Even if one accepts the authority for roadblocks to check for compliance with driving laws, this falls outside even that authority, let alone the need for RAS to stop citizens.

Someone needs to be officially punished for violating the rights of so many citizens. God help them if they stop me for a "voluntary sample." There WILL be hell to pay.
    The courts have handed so many warrant exceptions to police, its no wonder police do these things.

Did you know it was legal to involuntarily seize a car in a roadblock to ask the driver voluntarily whether he'd seen or heard anything suspicious relative to a recent crime in the area? I came across it some months ago in a court case. Federal case I vaguely recall. Now, if that isn't absurd. The obvious point the court overlooked is that the police could just go door to door in that neighborhood. You know, like they used to do in the old days when cops were cops, real flat-foot work.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

This story is outrageous. A private company hired off duty sheriffs to act under color of law to detain and inconvenience its citizens.

CCJ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if I just honked my horn and drove right through without stopping. I wonder if they identified themselves as police?
    This was my thought.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    The courts have handed so many warrant exceptions to police, its no wonder police do these things.

Did you know it was legal to involuntarily seize a car in a roadblock to ask the driver voluntarily whether he'd seen or heard anything suspicious relative to a recent crime in the area? I came across it some months ago in a court case. Federal case I vaguely recall. Now, if that isn't absurd. The obvious point the court overlooked is that the police could just go door to door in that neighborhood. You know, like they used to do in the old days when cops were cops, real flat-foot work.
    While I disagree with that exception, to analogize it to the subject stop is hyperbolic. One can reasonably argue that there is a legitimate law enforcement reason for the stops you are decrying. There is zero law enforcement reason for stops that assist a private entity in conducting research.

Actually, that is precisely the point of my previous post. These stops aren't even being made under the guise of stopping/solving violations of the law.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Probably nothing. The cops surely know that the stop does not carry the force of law, even though they are clearly trying to convey that impression.

However, unless you are psychic, how would you know, until you have been stopped, that the stop would be unlawful? By driving through, you would risk disobeying a lawful order by a LEO to stop, thereby committing a crime.

This is one of the reasons that color of law violations are so egregious. People are deceptively made to believe that the government is performing a necessary function, inducing fraudulent submission to tyranny, with little or no recourse afterward. Using the color of law in this manner should be a crime.