• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC live in the springs have some question

Tierney72

I'm new to open carrying I'm 25 years old I recently purchased a bersa 380 thunder, Iv open carried to 7-11 and that's it so far, still a little nervous about it so I tought I'd throw out a post with some questions, has any one had any problems carrying in Colorado Springs, / certain places I should a avoid, what should I say if I get stopped by the police, I carry it in a belt holster with a buckle strap thy goes around the back of the pistol, is this acceptable! Also I have been reading a lot of posts on here, I was reading one that said something about active open carrying folks in Colorado Springs who often have meet and greets, I'd love to attend but don't know where to find these people or groups if someone is a member or has information on a active OC meet and greet please let me know thanks

And happy OCing

mobiushky

Welcome. First and foremost, know the laws in CO. CO is generally an OC friendly state, but it's kind of starting to get tougher. Denver city and county is a no-no. It's illegal, so don't bother.

Signs do not carry force of law, but you can be trespassed if you try to argue. If you OC in a place and are asked to leave, leave. Don't argue, don't complain. Post the location and send letters, etc.

As for the M&G's well, that's a semi-long story. A very large contingent of the CO group left OCDO a couple months ago over he constant bickering and a few out of state members here who claim to know everything there is to know about everything and hijacking threads etc, etc. LONG story. Anyway, there is a more CO centered location if you're interested. Some of the members frequent both places, some refuse to even read OCDO anymore. I'll send you a PM.

rushcreek2

My home is in Colorado Springs, but I seem to spend more time in Texas than Colorado here lately.

My style of OC is a bit "subtle" perhaps since I prefer to use an IWB holster. IWB provides me with more comfort, and a degree of discretion. I can conceal my Glock 23 easily by simply resting my forearm at my side.

I appreciate the right to openly carry most when my wife & I are in shopping center parking lots.

With IWB holstering I can easily cover up with a loose shirt flap, or adjust for greater exposure.

This is how I personally have approached the practice of "open carry" in Colorado since 2007.

Coming from Texas the concept was initially a bit "foreign" to me upon moving to Colorado. I eased into the practice rather cautiously - without any problems.

Perception - as they say - is 95 % of reality. How that principle relates to OC is that how other people perceive you affects their response.

fighting_for_freedom

Mobiushy, I'd be interested in this other forum you speak of. OCDO seems to be going down the tubes, what with a few idiots and some cases of over-moderation. I know I don't post much anywhere, but I do love to have some interesting and enlightening posts to read over when I'm sitting on my porch in the evening. If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM also, I'd greatly appreciate it.

joanie

Mobiushy, I'd be interested in this other forum you speak of. OCDO seems to be going down the tubes, what with a few idiots and some cases of over-moderation. I know I don't post much anywhere, but I do love to have some interesting and enlightening posts to read over when I'm sitting on my porch in the evening. If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM also, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you are interested in other discussion forums, heres 3 for you to check out.

OhioOpenCarry- http://s11.zetaboards.com/OhioOpenCarry/index/

AmericaChat- http://s11.zetaboards.com/AmericaChat/index/

PlanetInfoWars- http://planet.infowars.com/

This forum isn't so bad, members are alittle critical, moderation seems reasonable with the exception of banning rifles and shotguns. Also, you don't have to limit yourself to one set of boards.

mobiushky

PM sent.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you are interested in other discussion forums, heres 3 for you to check out.

OhioOpenCarry- http://s11.zetaboards.com/OhioOpenCarry/index/

AmericaChat- http://s11.zetaboards.com/AmericaChat/index/

PlanetInfoWars- http://planet.infowars.com/

This forum isn't so bad, members are alittle critical, moderation seems reasonable with the exception of banning rifles and shotguns. Also, you don't have to limit yourself to one set of boards.

Happen to have a few moments to check out your links.

What I found:

OhioOpenCarry has 4 members since they went on line in April. Not exactly a major player, but everybody has to start somewhere.

AmericaChat has 35 members since its inception about Sept. 2012. While it does have a small firearms sub-forum, that doesn't seem to be its main thrust at all and there is little participation in that area.

PlanetInfoWars - here everyone seems to have their own little area/group including a Chinese spammer. Again very little to nothing about open carry, RKBA or similar.

I don't wish these forums any ill will, but to suggest them as alternate sources of OC, RKBA and/or 2A issues is ludicrous at best.

Last edited: