Thread: "Gun play: 'Zero tolerance' toward schoolkids could backfire, says expert"

"Gun play: 'Zero tolerance' toward schoolkids could backfire, says expert"

Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 06-11-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    Thank you for including a FUQ. It is respectful of others to do so.

I think "psychotic" is a bit strong. These zero-tolerance rules are at least neurotic.

The reason for zero-tolerance rules is that our society no longer trusts its professionals to make decision. We have turned all of our professionals from teachers, to doctors, to engineers into unthinking bureaucrats simply following rules, without any common sense, knowledge, experience, or professionalism applied. Instead, there is a matrix of specific actions that must be taken is specific situations, and these "professionals" are expected to follow the matrix without question, lest they be sued for daring to be a true professional.

Professionals are supposed to be educated to be able to exercise judgment in situations that are new and unique. They are not supposed to be trained to do very specific repetitive tasks.

This is an unintended consequence of a legal system gone wild.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Thank you for including a FUQ. It is respectful of others to do so.

I think "psychotic" is a bit strong. These zero-tolerance rules are at least neurotic.

The reason for zero-tolerance rules is that our society no longer trusts its professionals to make decision.
    I often wonder if it's not just childish response on the part of administrators to being given a list of rules. 'Oh, you want a zero-tolerance environment, I'll SHOW you a zero-tolerance environment and see how you like it.'
    Last edited by Maverick9; 06-11-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    I often wonder if it's not just childish response on the part of administrators to being given a list of rules. 'Oh, you want a zero-tolerance environment, I'll SHOW you a zero-tolerance environment and see how you like it.'
    I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance ......

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    One would like to think so, but I doubt that's the case. I believe it's more likely that the typical bureaucrat mindset rules here: "It's not my fault, I had no choice, the rules...!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Didn't they claim that at Nuremburg?
    The irony is that that attitude, which ultimately denies Liberty, is the result of folks supposedly protecting their "rights" in court. "Professionals" no longer exercise judgment for fear of being second-guessed in frivolous lawsuits that are given undue credibility by the courts, forcing the erstwhile professionals (now bureaucrats) into kneejerkist and anti-Liberty rule-making and -enforcing.