• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun play: 'Zero tolerance' toward schoolkids could backfire, says expert"

eye95

Thank you for including a FUQ. It is respectful of others to do so.

I think "psychotic" is a bit strong. These zero-tolerance rules are at least neurotic.

The reason for zero-tolerance rules is that our society no longer trusts its professionals to make decision. We have turned all of our professionals from teachers, to doctors, to engineers into unthinking bureaucrats simply following rules, without any common sense, knowledge, experience, or professionalism applied. Instead, there is a matrix of specific actions that must be taken is specific situations, and these "professionals" are expected to follow the matrix without question, lest they be sued for daring to be a true professional.

Professionals are supposed to be educated to be able to exercise judgment in situations that are new and unique. They are not supposed to be trained to do very specific repetitive tasks.

This is an unintended consequence of a legal system gone wild.

Maverick9

Thank you for including a FUQ. It is respectful of others to do so.

I think "psychotic" is a bit strong. These zero-tolerance rules are at least neurotic.

The reason for zero-tolerance rules is that our society no longer trusts its professionals to make decision.

I often wonder if it's not just childish response on the part of administrators to being given a list of rules. 'Oh, you want a zero-tolerance environment, I'll SHOW you a zero-tolerance environment and see how you like it.'

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I often wonder if it's not just childish response on the part of administrators to being given a list of rules. 'Oh, you want a zero-tolerance environment, I'll SHOW you a zero-tolerance environment and see how you like it.'

I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance ......

KBCraig

One would like to think so, but I doubt that's the case. I believe it's more likely that the typical bureaucrat mindset rules here: "It's not my fault, I had no choice, the rules...!"

eye95

Didn't they claim that at Nuremburg?

The irony is that that attitude, which ultimately denies Liberty, is the result of folks supposedly protecting their "rights" in court. "Professionals" no longer exercise judgment for fear of being second-guessed in frivolous lawsuits that are given undue credibility by the courts, forcing the erstwhile professionals (now bureaucrats) into kneejerkist and anti-Liberty rule-making and -enforcing.