• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What should I expect?

SP101

Campaign Veteran
I'm heading up to Maine for vacation this coming August and would like to know how the carry of firearms is received in the Rangeley Lake area. I have a Pa. LTCF and a CCW for Utah and want to make sure I am good to go in the fine state of Maine. Also, any unusual prohibited areas I should know about would be great. Pa has state wide pre-emption so the laws are uniform throughout the state. What about Maine? Thanks for any help in this regard. :)

boyscout399

I'm heading up to Maine for vacation this coming August and would like to know how the carry of firearms is received in the Rangeley Lake area. I have a Pa. LTCF and a CCW for Utah and want to make sure I am good to go in the fine state of Maine. Also, any unusual prohibited areas I should know about would be great. Pa has state wide pre-emption so the laws are uniform throughout the state. What about Maine? Thanks for any help in this regard. :)

Maine has full state pre-emption. Your Utah and PA permits are not valid for concealing, but loaded open carry is legal without any permit. You must unload in a vehicle unless you hold a Maine recognized permit.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
So the following is wrong information?

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Concealed Handguns:

Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits:

Delaware (March 13, 2009)
South Dakota (May 18, 2009)
Louisiana (June 25, 2009)
North Dakota - Class 1 Permits (June 7, 2010)
Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
Arkansas (June 21, 2010)
Pennsylvania (November 1, 2011)
Michigan (November 9, 2011)

Last edited:

boyscout399

So the following is wrong information?

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Concealed Handguns:

Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits:

Delaware (March 13, 2009)
South Dakota (May 18, 2009)
Louisiana (June 25, 2009)
North Dakota - Class 1 Permits (June 7, 2010)
Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
Arkansas (June 21, 2010)
Pennsylvania (November 1, 2011)
Michigan (November 9, 2011)

Oops. My bad. I forgot PA was on the list now. I'm sorry and I stand corrected. Open or Concealed, in or out of the vehicle will be fine for you :) Enjoy your stay

boyscout399

Prohibited areas would be places licensed to sell alcohol for on site consumption that have signage at the door saying no guns allowed. (I've never seen such a sign in Maine). School property (k-12 and colleges). Courthouses. State property in Augusta. Federally restricted property. I think that's all...

CCinMaine

I know that oasis in the old port has such a sign restricting weapons. I've never seen any other one though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SP101

Campaign Veteran
No worries, guy! :)

Better to be safe than sorry. So restaurants that serve alcohol are prohibited always, or only when there is signage?

Also, are there any members here who have specific knowledge of the Rangeley Lake area of the state, and any recommendations for activities while visiting?

boyscout399

No worries, guy! :)

Better to be safe than sorry. So restaurants that serve alcohol are prohibited always, or only when there is signage?

Also, are there any members here who have specific knowledge of the Rangeley Lake area of the state, and any recommendations for activities while visiting?

Only when there is signage. There is no specifications as to the size or type of signage only that it be reasonably likely to come to the attention of those entering.

SPOProds

What is this?

IN A MOTOR VEHICLE ON SUNDAY, FIREARM (OTHER THAN A PISTOL WITH PERMIT) UNLESS CASED OR DISASSEMBLED (MAG REMOVAL DOES NOT COUNT)

Cite?

And this?

DEBATED –CASED FIREARM IN AN OBVIOUS GUN CASE, ABSENT A PERMIT

In a case is concealed. Just like if i had a glock back pack on with the pistol in it. Shouldn't be any debate.

Sent from the back of a black van

SP101

Campaign Veteran
I'll be heading up on saturday and would be glad to meet up with anyone in the Rangeley Lake area. Let me know. Looking forward to visiting Maine again. Haven't been there since I was like 5 years old.