• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would the concealed carry bill render Moore moot?

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
Simple question, I think. From what I know of the law, a lawsuit against the State under 42 USC 1983 can be rendered moot if the State changes the law or whatever situation is being challenged, so that the Plaintiff's original complaint no longer applies. Basically, the Plaintiffs only have standing as long as their rights are still infringed. This is why a lot of 2A cases get class-action status; the State or local jurisdiction could otherwise make the whole thing go away by giving the specific named Plaintiffs a permit to do as they're asking for, while still barring everyone else from doing the same.

With the Illinois Concealed Carry statute on Gov. Quinn's desk, and the ball in the State's court for an appeal to SCOTUS on Moore v. Madigan, the question is, can he do both? does Quinn, or Madigan, or the ISP, still have standing to appeal to SCOTUS if Quinn signs the bill into law? For that matter, does the SAF or any other Plaintiff/Petitioner still have the right to appeal if Quinn signs the bill into law, and if not, does the case still stand as presenting divided Circuit Court opinions on the matter of self-defense outside the home?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think it makes a 42 USC 1983 claim even stronger ... after all, you were deprived for a long long time

if the relief being sought was not a $$$ seeking suit (which ALL suits should be/include) then yes, it would be moot.

RANDYT

Lisa Madigan has until the 24th of this month to file for appeal. If Quinn signs the bill, or if he vetoes, and then is overridden by the legislature. The appeal would be moot. the court will not review the new law. If there are any possible constitutional problems it will require a new lawsuit to be filed. Which I believe will be filed as soon as the bill becomes law.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Lisa Madigan has until the 24th of this month to file for appeal. If Quinn signs the bill, or if he vetoes, and then is overridden by the legislature. The appeal would be moot. the court will not review the new law. If there are any possible constitutional problems it will require a new lawsuit to be filed. Which I believe will be filed as soon as the bill becomes law.

thanks for the info !

Keep the faith!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... If there are any possible constitutional problems it will require a new lawsuit to be filed. Which I believe will be filed as soon as the bill becomes law.
(my emphasis)

I certainly hope so, since even with the pile of poo that is the bill, IL residents STILL would have no RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

junglebob

The carry bill has passed, it allows the Illinois State Police 6 months to get the training requirements in place and 3 months to issue a license to carry after the application is submitted. The plaintiffs are now seeking relief from the court on the grounds that the state did not restore their second amendment rights in a timely fashion. They waited to the last day, which included a 30 day extension they court gave to pass the law.

lockman

State Researcher
The case would be moot if not for the fact it has not remedied the issue before the court until a date many months into the future. Moore/Sheppard won their case, a mandate was issued, the stay has expired and the victors still have no relief they are entitled to. The state had the opportunity to remedy this at many levels but refused to do so. Until the relief is a reality the case should not be dismissed.

But, this is Illinois, who knows.