• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit was DENIED

forhumans

Thank you! Looks like Defense Alternatives was just at my LGS a few weeks ago.

The DESPP process is a same-day thing right?

motoxmann

also know that they often do not accept your reason for wanting your permit being "for all lawful purposes", you usually need to include some type of specifics. I put "for all lawful purposes; self defense, defense of others, target shooting, hunting, collections, to legally buy handguns", which pretty much covers everything.

Last edited:

brk913

also know that they often do not accept your reason for wanting your permit being "for all lawful purposes", you usually need to include some type of specifics. I put "for all lawful purposes; self defense, defense of others, target shooting, hunting, collections, to legally buy handguns", which pretty much covers everything.

That's not true anymore, they absolutely will accept "All Lawful Purposes" or any other reason you put down, I personally took care of that by requesting a Declaratory Ruling from the Board last year, although they refused to issue a ruling they did inform the SLFU that they must accept any answer you write down, there is supposedly a memo from the Board's Attorney in the area where you get your photo taken that faces the clerk stating just that. I had one student several months ago write to me that the initial person started to give them a hard time but when a supervisor was called over (Det. Matson, she's in charge of the SLFU) she told the clerk to accept it. You should be as generic as possible in that field, "All Lawful Purposes" or "It's my 2nd Amendment Right" are the two best answers, both non committal as to what you will be using your permit for and covers all legal activities. See this thread about it: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-application&p=1829639&viewfull=1#post1829639 I can confirm from feedback I am receiving from my students that they will accept any answer you wish to write down.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Control of genital warts is # 1 reason now? lol

Its a meaningless query of course. As 99% of their queries are.

Last edited:

motoxmann

That's not true anymore, they absolutely will accept "All Lawful Purposes" or any other reason you put down, I personally took care of that by requesting a Declaratory Ruling from the Board last year, although they refused to issue a ruling they did inform the SLFU that they must accept any answer you write down, there is supposedly a memo from the Board's Attorney in the area where you get your photo taken that faces the clerk stating just that. I had one student several months ago write to me that the initial person started to give them a hard time but when a supervisor was called over (Det. Matson, she's in charge of the SLFU) she told the clerk to accept it. You should be as generic as possible in that field, "All Lawful Purposes" or "It's my 2nd Amendment Right" are the two best answers, both non committal as to what you will be using your permit for and covers all legal activities. See this thread about it: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-application&p=1829639&viewfull=1#post1829639 I can confirm from feedback I am receiving from my students that they will accept any answer you wish to write down.

good to know, I'll inform people of this from now on then as well
(P.S. I got my permit in November 2012, and they wouldn't accept "for all lawful purposes" at that time, hence my answers)

Last edited:

brk913

good to know, I'll inform people of this from now on then as well
(P.S. I got my permit in November 2012, and they wouldn't accept "for all lawful purposes" at that time, hence my answers)
This was settled in November of 2012, you should have asked for a supervisor. No one has the right to tell you why you are getting a permit or make you choose from some list. Doing so can cause you issues down the road.

forhumans

I ended up scribbling target shooting, collecting, purchasing and self defense into the tiny space provided. The lady didn't seem to look at it though, in and out in 10 minutes.

Thanks for all your help

davidmcbeth

Banned
I ended up scribbling target shooting, collecting, purchasing and self defense into the tiny space provided. The lady didn't seem to look at it though, in and out in 10 minutes.

Thanks for all your help

You didn't put in ZOMBIE control? Awwww...now you cannot kill zombies (if they are alive to begin with)

In/out ten minutes .. that's nice.