• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PPP POLL, get the vote

WalkingWolf

While I have nothing against doing away with PPP, there should be a state system for bypassing the insta check without getting a CHP. One can get a pin from the feds, not sure on the procedure for that yet. But the attempt of this bill is to push more people to get CHPs thereby making OC more nasty to the public. The PPP is a thorn in the CC only trainers arse, and not because it is a Jim Crow law, CHP is actually a Jim Crow law. Most people with CHP are not minorities or lower income. The cost and the inconvenience of CHPs is too difficult for them, privilege card scheme IS racist. The PPP is more affordable than a CHP, needs no class, and only costs $5 per permit which is good for five years. I still have 3 of them in my possession that are good for another 3 years. I am not sure but some believe the PPP also acts as a license to do so in a GFSZA because BATF recognizes them as a legitimate background check.

The whole intention of eliminating PPP is not to make it easier to buy a gun, but actually to make it harder. Next time a non CHP holder gets delayed at a out of town sale, and has to spend the night. Thank GRNC!

BTW my wife just bought a gun and it took her just enough time to fill out the 4473, and walk out with her gun, just by showing her PPP.

Last edited:

XD40sc

The Senate passed HB 937, which includes the elimination of the PPP process at 2:10 today (6/13), now one final vote in the house for the changes the Senate added (all positive from a pro-gun basis) and it will be done, assuming the wild card, our self serving governor doesn't veto it.

WW, not sure if your LEO background grants your the privileges of a retired LEO, or if you are just Joe Citizen like the rest of us, as you seem to have a bit of contempt for the CHP and it's process.

Also you fail to recognize that each sheriff does the PPP "their way" and the elimination of that strips the special requirements some impose. In my county, it was simple, fill out a form, show my ID, and go pick them up when notified they were ready, limit of 10 per year, and could be picked up in a single visit.

Some sheriff impose some absurd requirement, beyond state law, such as 3 notarized affidavits regarding the "character of the applicant" (scum bags can always find scum bags to vouch for them) and limiting the number of PPP's, or per request. I have to complement my local sheriff is he is only following the law, noting more, and not adding additional hoops.

This also helps return uniformity of gun laws across the state, but unsure how this will effect the 1 of 100 counties that requires gun registration, Durham.

If nothing else the CHP is like a trump card for the dedicated OC'er. Ticket to buy guns, covers your butt if your gun becomes inadvertently concealed by a jacket or other clothing, or the LEO at a traffic stop determines that your open carry is concealed. But I would rather walk into a LGS and only go through a NICS check than the hassle of going to the sheriff for PPP's, a minor issue in my county (Buncombe) but a total PIA in other counties, so much for state-wide uniformity.

WalkingWolf

Most problems with the insta check are the delays, and FFLs admit that some people get a CHP only to avoid the delays. If the insta check was all wonderful and perfect then there would be no problem. The elimination by GRNC for PPP is for one reason and one reason only. To put more money into trainers pockets, so they can put more money into PV's pocket. I would be for a optional system that would allow long gun and handgun purchase with a non concealed carry purchase permit. Five year just like the CC, same background check, and fingerprints, similar card. No class, lower fee, say $25. Same privileges for OC as CHP has for CC and that would be fair. To everybody but PV, I imagine keeping up with the Jones of lobbyists is expensive.

CHP is not a trump card, it is a I sold my soul to government card. It is elitism, and racist, it is gun control.

Last edited:

XD40sc

Most problems with the insta check are the delays, and FFLs admit that some people get a CHP only to avoid the delays. If the insta check was all wonderful and perfect then there would be no problem. The elimination by GRNC for PPP is for one reason and one reason only. To put more money into trainers pockets, so they can put more money into PV's pocket. I would be for a optional system that would allow long gun and handgun purchase with a non concealed carry purchase permit. Five year just like the CC, same background check, and fingerprints, similar card. No class, lower fee, say $25. Same privileges for OC as CHP has for CC and that would be fair. To everybody but PV, I imagine keeping up with the Jones of lobbyists is expensive.

CHP is not a trump card, it is a I sold my soul to government card. It is elitism, and racist, it is gun control.

Like I said I have no problem with a PP card, one time issue, and gives the purchase power that those with a CHP have. Doesn't even need to be as expensive as $25. If a sheriff can issue a single PPP for $5, then they can issue an unlimited PP card for $5.

Never had to do the NICS thing, so I can only take your word for it, but since it is a federal system, I have no doubts it can be an error prone system.

I also disagree in that I did not "sell my soul", but worked within the system to my advantage. You have a drivers license, you have a SS card, hunting license, fishing license, your file your 1040 every year, your register your vehicles, take them to someone to "inspect them" every year, and prove to the state you have insurance, you registered to vote (I assume) and likely you will have to show your government approved ID to vote in the future, so don't get all out of shape about selling your soul.

Last edited: