Thread: New Forum Member in Vancouver

New Forum Member in Vancouver

Hello everybody!

I've been reading this forum for a while now and signed up. I didn't see a place to put introductions, so this looked like a reasonable home for my intro thread.

I've lived in the PNW since the mid-90s -- a California transplant. Lived in the south Portland metro area for many years and moved to Vancouver about a year ago. I've got concealed carry licenses for both Oregon and Washington FWIW. I've never, not once seen anyone OCing since I've been in the PNW. Is it really that rare or perhaps I'm blind as a bat. Being a gun nut, I would like to think I would notice someone carrying a 1911 at Fred Meyer, but I've yet to see such a thing.

Until recently, I had no idea OC was legal in Oregon/Washington and many other places for that matter. The only time I've open carried was in California in the desert or mountains while camping.

I'm an old fart/spring chicken depending on your age proximity to 50. I work in the IT industry.

So...what's the current OC climate like in the Vancouver area? I've read a few of those horror stories and it seems the VPD isn't too welcoming of the OC concept.

Any gatherings down here?

I've already picked up a lot of information and like the idea of OCing on multiple levels. This forum is a great resource.
    Last edited by jhfc; 06-12-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see lurkers come out of the shadows.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Welcome to the forum, and WA.

As to people that OC? you know, I OC every time I go to town. One day, I asked the gal that had the "contact" with the LCB for the local contract liquor store (this was before the law change) if the LCB had put anything in her contract about (open) carry in her store. Her answer was, don't know, never noticed, but people do it ALL THE TIME!

I emphasize those last words, because in the 8 years we have lived here, I have never noticed another OC'r myself, other than LE...but she said that people OCd in her liquor store all the time?

Now I will also state, even though we have lived at this address for the last 8+ years, we do live 20 miles out of town, and only go into town for supplies once a week, or once every other week.

Welcome
    I'm in the South Seattle area and open carry every where I go have not had any interaction with LEO, just a couple of peeps asking questions. I had a couple of pamphlets on me so I gave them out.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like most in Washington OCing are either up Seattle way or on the dry side, Kitsap excepted.

I had thought about asking various checkers/salespeople about the frequency of OCing they see around here just as an FYI for myself.

Now, I look every time I go out, trying to spot an OCer.

Nice to see another Vancouver resident join the forum. welcome. I browse more than post but there are a few people from Vancouver on here. Im a ups driver so not much open carry for me during the weekdays, but on the weekends i open carry most places i go. No one seems bothered but im usually with my children, 9 and 5, so they must assume im obviously not a criminal. Never had any run ins with the police so cant comment on how they would react. But for now i say carry on. heres a meet up that will be happening in 2 weeks. Havent been to the previous 2 because of sons sporting events but hoping to make it to this one. Hope to see ya there. https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/146796302173795/