Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm vs .45 vs rifle...

Exclamation 9mm vs .45 vs rifle...

Long as in 34 minutes but good information by a Physician about gun shot wounds...

Caveat VERY GRAPHIC!!

9mm vs .45 vs Rifle A Dr's View of Gunshot Wounds (graphic photos) - YouTube!

Banned
    9mm v .45 .... the eternal quest for a perfect answer ...

The good doctor's information fits best in the "Duh. Doesn't everybody know that?" category.

Someone said "Your pistol is what you use to fight back to your rifle."

Someone else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble, I would have brought my rifle, and all my friends with all their rifles."

Somebody else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble I would not have gone there." (The polite way of stating the Three Stupids rule.)

It's not a question of "what would you have if you could choose what to have?" It's a question of how well you can use what you've got. Personally I would not set out to take a bull elephant with a single-shot .22LR bolt action rifle. But quite a number of folks have in fact taken bull elephants with one .22LR shot.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Also, if the bull elephant is charging you and escape is not an option, do you not fire because all you have is a .22?

*throws down .22 in anger*

Damn! If only I had my 45-70 with me.

*stomp*

Quote Originally Posted by joanie View Post
    You shouldn't have a bb gun, try not to commit suicide or disfigure yourself s kid.
    That was kind of random...

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
    “Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?”
    “NO Ma’am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.”

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Also, if the bull elephant is charging you and escape is not an option, do you not fire because all you have is a .22?

*throws down .22 in anger*

*stomp*
    45-70 ! Man, you are old ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    45-70 ! Man, you are old ...
    Yep and margional at best...
    .45 100 would be more adequate if you need to go that eara..

mine is a Winchester Safari in .416 Remington Mag, but damn those are expensive to buy and reload
    Last edited by Sheldon; 06-13-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Yep and margional at best...
    .45 100 would be more adequate if you need to go that eara..

mine is a Winchester Safari in .416 Remington Mag, but damn those are expensive to buy and reload
    I'll made you sad I picked up 500 .416 300gr Barnes bullets for a dime each does make loading my 416 Taylor a bit cheaper.

For bigger and dangerous stuff I brought some .416 350 X bullets on close out for 15 dollars a box.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

It always comes down to "Run what ya brung."

Somebody's sig line is basically "Beware of an old man with just one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

For any scenario where I'm asked what my caliber/platform choice would be, my answer is "I would choose not to be there in the first place. But since I am there, I'd choose to use use what I always (well, almost always) have.

stay safe,
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The most enjoyable part of a 45-70 is being able to watch that 405gr slug going downrange. A ninja could move out of its path! Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    The most enjoyable part of a 45-70 is being able to watch that 405gr slug going downrange. A ninja could move out of its path! Pax...
    I have seen several hogs that have failed to out run a 460gr cast bullet out of my 45-70.

Its a hard thing to do even for a ninja.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The good doctor's information fits best in the "Duh. Doesn't everybody know that?" category.

Someone said "Your pistol is what you use to fight back to your rifle."

Someone else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble, I would have brought my rifle, and all my friends with all their rifles."

Somebody else said "If I knew there was going to be trouble I would not have gone there." (The polite way of stating the Three Stupids rule.)

It's not a question of "what would you have if you could choose what to have?" It's a question of how well you can use what you've got. Personally I would not set out to take a bull elephant with a single-shot .22LR bolt action rifle. But quite a number of folks have in fact taken bull elephants with one .22LR shot.

stay safe.
    Can you offer cites for this, please? I know of a few people who have taken elephants with a revolver .44 Magnum), but not a .22LR. I'd like to see that one.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Can you offer cites for this, please? I know of a few people who have taken elephants with a revolver .44 Magnum), but not a .22LR. I'd like to see that one.

Search the Web elephant shot with 22 SEARCH enhanced by Google

About 17,600,000 results
    OK, there are some about 22 elephants being shot, but you can weed them out fairly easily.

When you observe the taking of an elephant with a .22LR, be sure to wear your brown pants. And remember, elephants do not always stop with the first whatever has annoyed them - they may go after you to turn into toe jam just as readily as they go after the shooter.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I'll made you sad I picked up 500 .416 300gr Barnes bullets for a dime each does make loading my 416 Taylor a bit cheaper.

For bigger and dangerous stuff I brought some .416 350 X bullets on close out for 15 dollars a box.
    Didn't get the deal on the 500 Barnes but did get a deal on 50 of the Barnes X from Midway, that is one nice turned brass bullet! Got the brass from them too.

We have a mostly reloading gun shop not far and have managed to pick up several 50 boxes of different types of .416 350 to 500 grain, even at starting a 450 will carve though a huge chunk of cherry like it's not there, despite my warnings the Son had to find that out the hard way....

JIC you all are currious... Box .416 Rem Mag ammo is in the $8.00 + a round catagory, when you can find them and no that one is not Obama's fault... Reloads $1.00 +...
    Last edited by Sheldon; 06-14-2013 at 11:14 AM.

The big advantage of the 9mm over the .45 rifle is that the 9mm is lighter and can be openly carried in a holster and therefore belongs in this forum... as opposed to elephant guns. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The big advantage of the 9mm over the .45 rifle is that the 9mm is lighter and can be openly carried in a holster and therefore belongs in this forum... as opposed to elephant guns. Pax...
    I must have missed the rule restricting caliber. Which one is it?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

We have a number of folks who daily OC stuff bigger than 9mm. Some of the folks OC handguns that could easily qualify as an elephant gun if it were not for the fact that all the elephants around here were killed off for the umbrella stands. It started out with "Guns Save Lives" and went to "Big Guns Save Lives" and now seems to be settling at "Bigger Guns Save Lives".

But then we also belive in the right to arm and keep bears.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-right-to-arm-bears.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	10521

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Banned
    We have a number of folks who daily OC stuff bigger than 9mm. Some of the folks OC handguns that could easily qualify as an elephant gun if it were not for the fact that all the elephants around here were killed off for the umbrella stands. It started out with "Guns Save Lives" and went to "Big Guns Save Lives" and now seems to be settling at "Bigger Guns Save Lives".

But then we also belive in the right to arm and keep bears.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-right-to-arm-bears.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	10521

stay safe.
    I OC my .45 Dan Wesson full-sized 1911. When I choose to CC, it is my 9mm Glock 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I must have missed the rule restricting caliber. Which one is it?
    Ummm... the one that says "OPEN CARRY"? The implication is handguns, in holsters, upon one's person in plain sight. I've never seen anybody OC'ing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun. But then, I don't make the rules. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 06-15-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Ummm... the one that says "OPEN CARRY"? The implication is handguns, in holsters, upon one's person in plain sight. I've never seen anybody OC'ing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun. But then, I don't make the rules. Pax...
    Member peter nap does not hang out in this sub-forum, so you will have to go to the Virginia sub-forum (the OC in Richmond thread) to see what he OCs. Makes those yu mention look like peashooters.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Member peter nap does not hang out in this sub-forum, so you will have to go to the Virginia sub-forum (the OC in Richmond thread) to see what he OCs. Makes those yu mention look like peashooters.
    As I said, "I've never seen anybody OC'ing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun." For all I care, Peter Nap can OC a M61 20mm Vulcan cannon - as long as it's in a holster on his body and in plain sight. OTOH, a "Mare's Leg" could qualify, as there are several holster makers producing holsters for that gun. I'm certain there are a few things I haven't seen in my life... anybody OC'ing (in the context of this forum) those mentioned in my original post are among those few things. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

A Thomson contender or encore any caliber would work or maybe a BFR in 45-70.

There are several very large handguns in many rifle calibers that would work

What about all those bolt action HANDGUNs in large rifle calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    A Thomson contender or encore any caliber would work or maybe a BFR in 45-70.

There are several very large handguns in many rifle calibers that would work

What about all those bolt action HANDGUNs in large rifle calibers?
    Large caliber handguns are just fine. I was under the impression that this forum was for handguns, in holsters openly displayed upon one's body. I have never seen or heard of anyone OCing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun (with the notable exception of TC Arms 45-70 pistol, which is available but I've never seen one OCd). The largest commercially produced handguns I know of are in the .50(0) caliber range, and almost all would HAVE to be OCd by the average person because of their size. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Well,,,

Just for fun...
    I am a guy, with more cents than sense. os scents...

See my thread in the social lounge...

I have a desert eagle 500 AE,,
    I have a S&W 500 mag,,
    And I just bought S&W 44 mag,,,,
    I dont need them,,,, But I want them.

I have holsters,, and have carried them,, OC fashion...

So what?
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 06-17-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

The largest calibers ok but that doesn't mean the largest hand guns.

If some one wants to OC their bolt action hand gun, AR pistol or large handgun so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast