• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm vs .45 vs rifle...

Gil223

I must have missed the rule restricting caliber. Which one is it?

Ummm... the one that says "OPEN CARRY"? The implication is handguns, in holsters, upon one's person in plain sight. I've never seen anybody OC'ing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun. But then, I don't make the rules. Pax...

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ummm... the one that says "OPEN CARRY"? The implication is handguns, in holsters, upon one's person in plain sight. I've never seen anybody OC'ing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun. But then, I don't make the rules. Pax...

Member peter nap does not hang out in this sub-forum, so you will have to go to the Virginia sub-forum (the OC in Richmond thread) to see what he OCs. Makes those yu mention look like peashooters.

stay safe.

Gil223

Member peter nap does not hang out in this sub-forum, so you will have to go to the Virginia sub-forum (the OC in Richmond thread) to see what he OCs. Makes those yu mention look like peashooters.

As I said, "I've never seen anybody OC'ing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun." For all I care, Peter Nap can OC a M61 20mm Vulcan cannon - as long as it's in a holster on his body and in plain sight. OTOH, a "Mare's Leg" could qualify, as there are several holster makers producing holsters for that gun. I'm certain there are a few things I haven't seen in my life... anybody OC'ing (in the context of this forum) those mentioned in my original post are among those few things. :) Pax...

Firearms Iinstuctor

A Thomson contender or encore any caliber would work or maybe a BFR in 45-70.

There are several very large handguns in many rifle calibers that would work

What about all those bolt action HANDGUNs in large rifle calibers?

Gil223

A Thomson contender or encore any caliber would work or maybe a BFR in 45-70.

There are several very large handguns in many rifle calibers that would work

What about all those bolt action HANDGUNs in large rifle calibers?

Large caliber handguns are just fine. I was under the impression that this forum was for handguns, in holsters openly displayed upon one's body. I have never seen or heard of anyone OCing a .416 Rigby, or an H&H, or 45-70 handgun (with the notable exception of TC Arms 45-70 pistol, which is available but I've never seen one OCd). The largest commercially produced handguns I know of are in the .50(0) caliber range, and almost all would HAVE to be OCd by the average person because of their size. Pax...

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Just for fun...
I am a guy, with more cents than sense. os scents...

See my thread in the social lounge...

I have a desert eagle 500 AE,,
I have a S&W 500 mag,,
And I just bought S&W 44 mag,,,,
I dont need them,,,, But I want them.

I have holsters,, and have carried them,, OC fashion...

So what?

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The largest calibers ok but that doesn't mean the largest hand guns.

If some one wants to OC their bolt action hand gun, AR pistol or large handgun so be it.

Gil223

Just for fun...
I am a guy, with more cents than sense. os scents...

See my thread in the social lounge...

I have a desert eagle 500 AE,,
I have a S&W 500 mag,,
And I just bought S&W 44 mag,,,,
I dont need them,,,, But I want them.

I have holsters,, and have carried them,, OC fashion...

So what?

Congratulations 1245A! I'm absolutely thrilled for you, but there is no "So what?" HTH have so many people missed my point? It's NOT the caliber of a handgun that was my question - it is the fact that some folks in the thread were yakking about .416 Rigby's and 45-70s! Elephant/Buffalo guns are rarely seen being OC'd in a holster... they're almost unfailingly configured as shoulder weapons. Sheeesh... :banghead:

Sheldon

Congratulations 1245A! I'm absolutely thrilled for you, but there is no "So what?" HTH have so many people missed my point? It's NOT the caliber of a handgun that was my question - it is the fact that some folks in the thread were yakking about .416 Rigby's and 45-70s! Elephant/Buffalo guns are rarely seen being OC'd in a holster... they're almost unfailingly configured as shoulder weapons. Sheeesh... :banghead:

although very inconvenient large guns, be it riffles shotguns, hand cannons are hard to OC as they are awkward, but I have seen such here in the US, especially around hunting season in the UP...

There has been a heap of good and productive discussion here and as the OP we / I did go OT for a few but I am not offended by any pro gun chit chat as long as we do not digress and derail the primary topic. and as has been said...

The largest calibers ok but that doesn't mean the largest hand guns.

If some one wants to OC their bolt action hand gun, AR pistol or large handgun so be it.
Yeah that...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are those that carry large bore/caliber handguns when hiking/camping in wilderness areas. Great protection no matter how furry the predator.

There are also those that do a lot of reloading and have worked out loads that do well for them for personal self-defense. Peter Nap on the Virginia sub-forum is one such.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I carry large bore handguns all the time from 14 inch barrels to 2 3/4"

My favorite burb guns are a S&W X frame in 460 S&W Mag and a 1911 in 460 Rowland.
I carry a BFR in 45/70 once in a while. Properly holstered they aren't any problem.

At a recent breakfast I wore a 14 inch 375 JDJ.

460 S&W
abbullit_zpse193b1ba.gif

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The rain is killing my bandwidth so I can't post any more pictures but I also like to wear a S&W 629 (6"), Dan Wesson 44 (6"), S&W 325 (2 3/4") (45 Autorim) which is as small as I go for a serious business gun, Taurus model 444 (4"), and every now and again when I might have to shoot through something, an Encore or Contender.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Molto bella, Peter. Molto bella!

Now everybody can say they have seen big bore pistols properly holstered and OCd - if only on line......or they can come to one of our breakfasts :)

Last edited:

Gil223

...If some one wants to OC their bolt action hand gun, AR pistol or large handgun so be it.
And you have photographs of the AR pistol holstered on someone's hip? As I said, I couldn't care less if somebody wants to "OC a M61 20mm Vulcan cannon - as long as it's in a holster on his body and in plain sight."

Gil223

I carry large bore handguns all the time from 14 inch barrels to 2 3/4"

My favorite burb guns are a S&W X frame in 460 S&W Mag and a 1911 in 460 Rowland.
I carry a BFR in 45/70 once in a while. Properly holstered they aren't any problem.

At a recent breakfast I wore a 14 inch 375 JDJ.
Nice OC'd HANDGUNS! :) Pax...